cooling fan temp switch - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cooling fan temp switch
Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:41 PM
I have had no luck searching so here it goes. 2002 2.2l most reliable car I've ever owned, put 60,000 on it in 3 years. The issue- My pcm isnt turning my cooling fan on. My initial thought is the fan switch...because I can turn on the ac and the fan turns on. Since its been winter and cold I haven't noticed it. Where is this switch/sensor? I ruled out the relay also. I know the normal temp for the fan to kick and I know that some people get nervous then they go 3/4 up the gauge. This is not the issue. Any input?

Re: cooling fan temp switch
Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:09 PM
http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/

Click on Install a cooling fan bypass switch

Compliments of Wild Weasel

FOR SALE
Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:13 PM
There is not really a switch. The ECU does it based on temp reading. What is the temp the ECU kicks the fan on at?

FU Tuning

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 10:19 AM
so what is the real fix ... not the switch?
Tuesday, May 05, 2009 11:19 AM
bump going into summer
Saturday, September 21, 2019 8:22 AM
Well its been over 10 years with no reply so I'm gonna hijack this thread. :-) My 03 Cavalier seems to kick on the fan at random temps but usu. around 212-214.

The problem is that it never kicks the fan back off. I have a small code reader (Bosch) that also gives some data. While watching that I can see the temp drop back to around 181 or so. The fan never kicks off. Then the temp creeps back up to about 189/190 and just stays there. Doesn't overheat but not running right either I think.

Does anybody know what temp its supposed to kick off the fan? I've tried several different relays so I don't think its that.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search