The ''Help! Low Blower speeds don't work!'' post - Page 6 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: The ''Help! Low Blower speeds don't work!'' post
Monday, February 02, 2009 9:49 AM
...and if resistor is year specific or can, ie. 09 fit into 98?

-speed is time travel-

Tuesday, September 08, 2009 9:10 AM
FYI:

In the AC Delco catalog, I located the part, it is P/N 15-8706, it is for 1995-2005 models.

Look in Heating / AcC, Blower motors and parts

http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/b2c/catalog_search.php

Here is the link of the image

http://images.wrenchead.com/smartpages/partinfo_resize/DUS/15-8706.jpg

Regards,
Monday, September 14, 2009 2:43 PM
Glad I stumbled on this thread. I've been having intermittent problems with my blower in the '05 Sunfire. It works most of the time, but every now and then when I start the car it won't turn on. Doesn't seem to be just low speeds though. And usually it'll go on if I give it a good whack on top of the blower vents.

I'm guessing this probably isn't related to the resistor, but who knows? Anyone have similar troubles?
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:53 AM
Resistor changed this sunday and my 4 blower speeds work! buyed 50$ from NAPA. Now I understand why everyone was talking about that damn bolt she' really a PITA to remove...Lucky I am to be in here! What i'd done without you all Sticky FTW

Saturday, December 26, 2009 10:17 AM
mines been out for awhile... lol. one day ill fix it

JBOK.org / J-Bodies of Kentucky
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:53 PM
I'm kind of resurrecting a dead thread here but maybe someone will know the answer. I've found the wiring diagram for the HVAC controls and the blower motor resistor is 3 resistors and a thermal breaker in series. Settings 1, 2, and 3 select how many resistors are in series between power and the motor (thus limiting voltage and motor speed). The problem is that none the wiring diagrams I find show the value of these resistors (alldata and autozone diagrams). I bet these 3 resistors are the same value but I don't know what it is.

Since these are just going to fry again in the future, I would like to replace the resistors w/ another resistor of the same value but a higher power rating. This would reduce the heat and keep it from failing in the future. I'm also wondering if it's the thermal breaker that's failing and not the resistors frying. Anyone have the resistor values?
Saturday, January 02, 2010 11:35 PM
this is what just happen to my car last week because of this i'am freezing my ass off
Monday, January 04, 2010 11:48 PM
Im glad I found this. I have the same problem on my Cav. and the Sonoma.

'00 GMC Sonoma 2200
'02 Chevy Cavalier 2200
Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:04 PM
Luckily for our j-bodies the resistor isn't that expensive, as most people think. Log on to Auto Zone and they're on there for $25.99.

'95 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2
'98 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2
Monday, March 29, 2010 6:25 AM
I just replaced the resistor on my 1996 Cavalier convertible. It took me all of 45 minutes, including seat removal and vacuuming the floor while the seat was out. The trick to the second screw in back is a flexible screwdriver fitting that I happen to have in a cheapo multi-tool set that I bought way back when for about $30. Of course, I didn't bother putting the second screw back in. As a further note, I have a theory as to why these resistors die so frequently. My blower motor made a bit of a rubbing sound before I took it out and I found leaves in it after removal. These leaves would causing the blower to wobble a bit. Cleaning out the leaves eliminated the sound and it now runs smoothly. However, when the blower wobbles a bit and rubs its housing, it can put more strain on the resistor causing it to burn out. A simple preventative solution to this is to put a black screen (like the one for screen doors) over the cabin air intake under the hood. No leaves, no wobbling, no resistor failure.
Saturday, May 22, 2010 4:13 AM
By the way guys if you take the actual blower out that second screw will be right there. It seems like more work but usually you spend more time trying to get that effin screw out than it does to take the blower out

Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:56 PM
Wow, this is an old thread but has a lot of use! I'm new hear and one of the many experiencing this same problem. I bled! My left knuckle bled after getting so frustrated I snapped the old resistor at the top! It's dark outside and it's still in there. Tomorrow morning I'm going to attack the foam and rubber insulation panel and cut out a little U shape and see if I can get on that back bolt. I don't have a 1/4" universal and tomorrow is a holiday, so hopefully I can get in there with what I have. Yup, only one bolt will go back in on reassembly!

Thanks for posting this,
Adam
Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:54 PM
this is on my to do this.

Sunday, July 25, 2010 5:14 PM
So I finished putting in the resistor and hooked up my battery and amazingly all my speeds worked however there was a bit of a squealing noise from the blower motor. Mine being an 03 it used those horrible plastic rivets that took longer to take off than the rest of the project. Anyway so my blower motor didn't have a perfect seal so absent mindedly (being stuffed under the dash for 3 hours in scorching sun will do that to you) I drove in another screw to tighten it up (with battery still hooked up). Now none of the speeds work . I tryed my old resistor which worked on the highest setting to no success so I don't think the resistor got fried. I guess my question is will a new blower motor fix my issues and is it pretty much plug and play? Is there anyway I can fix/ reset my current blower? I think potentially that last nail may have just touched the blower and caused it to shut off. Thanks.
Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:43 PM
Just needed a new fuse... Thank god
Monday, July 26, 2010 6:05 PM
Replaced the blower, resistor and recharged the A/C on my step-daughter's 01 Cavalier. 3 hours with the right tools and parts. The advice and posts here made it possible. Thank you all very much.
Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:10 AM
Ok, looking at Autozone right now for the blower resistors. I have two options:

Duralast part # DR784 $28.99
Everco part # 20260 $28.48

Both of them have the top mounting point different. Just want to be sure before I order it. So which one should I get?

1996 Sunfire, 2.2L, 18" Equus/General Exclaim UHP
Alpine CDE-9845
Monday, October 11, 2010 7:18 AM
Finally got it in the mail. Laid the passenger seat all the way down and layed on it upside down. Had a 1/4" ratchet and 7/32" socket. First screw came out slow but easy. Second (the back) one came out with same setup after cutting out some of the insulation. Got the old one out and it was very corroded around the electronics. Installed the new one with both screws, and finally have all speeds. Thanks for the sticky.

1996 Sunfire, 2.2L, 18" Equus/General Exclaim UHP
Alpine CDE-9845
Sunday, December 12, 2010 6:42 PM
just did this to my 98 z24 fixed the lower speeds, but how low is the lowest one, almost doesn't seem to work at all lol, and to get the back screw out all i did was cut a piece of the insulation away, after that took all of 5 minutes to put back together, all i did after was place the piece i cut back where it came from, the carpet will hold it in place
Friday, February 04, 2011 9:54 PM
My 02 Cavalier VLX had this happen right after I took possession of it in November. It does take a lot of patience to get to the resistor to replace it. Only a $50 part to get a brand new one. I was going to get a used on from a wrecker yard but I didn't want to run the risk of it failing soon after putting it in. Hopefully this one lasts as long as the factory one.a
Wednesday, June 08, 2011 10:33 AM
Anyone have pics? They won't show up for me

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 10:38 AM
Nevermind, found this, same exact thing. http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/J-Body/BlowerResistor.aspx

Think they got it from here lol
Friday, July 29, 2011 4:02 PM
Alright, I work at a dealer and my Resistor for my 05 Cavalier was $25 on my discount. I get to go through this fiasco Tuesday because speeds 1-3 died on my HVAC, lol. I'll let people know how it goes, but from these write ups, it looks pretty basic.
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:16 PM
OK, so apparently this write up does NOT apply to a 2005 Cavalier. There is a cover on the blower motor that is NOT bolted on as claimed; rather, it is riveted on with plastic rivets. The rivets have to be drilled out in order to access the blower motor, which can then be removed by the three bolts.
Sunday, August 21, 2011 7:07 AM
For those of you going to do this, I would buy the BWD brand resistor pack. I just replaced mine last week with one. It came fully waterproofed so it should never corrode out again like the stock one, and I swear blower speed 3 and 4 blower harder than they did with the stock pack in there.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search