Try figuring this one out - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Try figuring this one out
Saturday, February 19, 2005 11:10 AM
Here is what I started with:
The left low beam would be off if the fogs were on, but when you turned the fogs off it would slowly light up, but stay very dim. The fogs would work with the low beams like they are supposed too, only the left fog was really dim and the right fog was slightly dimmer than usual. The right low beam operated normally as did both high beams/DRLs.

Here is what I have checked:
-Checked all fuses for headlights
-Switched bulbs around in headlights and fogs-All bulbs were working
-Continuity for both headlamps to ground
-All wiring/lamp harnesses
-Voltage to both low beams was 12V with and without fogs on
-Relays on front impact bar
-Removed battery tray and cleaned all grounds on the front of left fender
-Forward lamp harness was also under battery tray-There was some salt/debris in this area, but connections were still solid as far as I could tell
-Headlamp/blinker switch in steering column-Performed check per manual which has you use a fused jumper to ground two of the contacts from the connection-This made the right low beam come on, but as headlights did not operate ˇ§normallyˇ¨ I ruled out the switch
-Some water was on connection to left fog light, but it's winter in Michigan.

Both fogs went out right before all this started happening so that may be a good place to start. I have spent over 14 hours trying to figure this out with no luck thus far so any help I can get would be great.

Thanks guys and gals.

Re: Try figuring this one out
Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:28 PM
no offense on your mechanical skills, but after 14 hours i'd advise to just take it and have a mechanic look at it

"if it ain't fast don't make it look like it"
Sunday, February 20, 2005 11:29 AM
ck grounds again=)

Monday, February 21, 2005 11:06 AM
Yea I know, hence why this problem is pissing me off so much. And yes the car is being looked at by a "qualified" mechanic as we speak. As far as grounds go I went so far as to disconnect the old and make a new one that I knew worked and still the same problem.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search