turbo help - North East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo help
Friday, November 12, 2010 9:26 AM
ok i have a turbo off a stock 1.8l VW passat. i need some parts and dont know where to look to get them cheap. i need the tube that connects the turbine to the CBV and a few oil/antifreeze connections. anyone know where i could find these cheap?

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]

Re: turbo help
Friday, November 12, 2010 11:38 AM
i mean like i know i could goto autozone or something like that and get a few things but im also looking for a front mount intercooler and some piping for cheap.

Friday, November 12, 2010 12:06 PM
Cheap and turbo dont go together. You meantioned cheap 3x lol. Look in the classifieds here is your best bet for "cheaper" kits or parts.

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Friday, November 12, 2010 6:01 PM
i know im a broke junkman type guy lmao

Friday, November 12, 2010 7:52 PM
Then you shouldnt be doing a turbo setup if you want to be a junkman type guy...

Saturday, November 13, 2010 5:30 PM
junkman type guy meaing ill get what ill need and as cheap as i can. crap i found a pair of fiberglass explosion side skirts for only $20 at a junkyard plus im gonna nicly say dont tell me what i can and can not do cuz thats not right.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 3:44 AM
Simply said, Your not going to get turbo parts cheap.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:09 PM
ninja bling wrote:junkman type guy meaing ill get what ill need and as cheap as i can. crap i found a pair of fiberglass explosion side skirts for only $20 at a junkyard plus im gonna nicly say dont tell me what i can and can not do cuz thats not right.

We are not talking about your abilities. It is the simple fact that cheap(low quality/egay specials) turbo parts will fail and will destroy your engine.

What engine are you working with?

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Monday, November 15, 2010 5:27 AM
that VW turbo is tiny, I wouldnt even bother, its a K03 and belongs on a motor cycle.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, November 15, 2010 5:38 AM
well my stock engine craped the bed a year ago so i got a stock 2.2l 97 engine with 89k mi on it. lower performance engine mount & upper insert. izuzu 3sp auto transmission, 2.25" 4-2-1 header with a (frankinstein'd) dual exhaust with a cherry bomb glasspack after the cat as a resinator. this turbo i have is very small imo. my bro an i looked up the vin # online and VW says it put out 9 to 12 psi "happily". so i was going to make it a remote turbo placed at the end of the header. the turbo already has the CBV so i figure if i got a front mount intercooler and a BOV i should be fine.

Monday, November 15, 2010 5:40 AM
Save your money, you have the slowest j-body possible. Save your money and buy something with a 5 spd.

Monday, November 15, 2010 5:45 AM
oh yeah... my intake right now is set up for my functional ram air hood.

for a bike? lol but hey boost is boost no? lol i know its not much but i never wanted to go to big anyway cuz its already pretty ballsey.

Monday, November 15, 2010 5:51 AM
slowest? why do u think that? besides its called weight reduction. lol my whole back of my car is stripped out, not spare, no rugged side mats or whatever, no back seats, no power doors or windows, and my whole front end is fiberglass. i would love it to be carbon fiber but thats pricey lol

Monday, November 15, 2010 5:54 AM
no** spare

Monday, November 15, 2010 6:04 AM
its a 2200 and the 3 speed auto, its the slowest j-body money can buy.

Monday, November 15, 2010 6:28 AM
what everyone else stated, if youre determined to keep a j body, put your cars interior back together and daily drive it. boost is boost isnt a good claim, that turbo is way too small do do anything other than basically just cause excessive egts/back pressure.

if you wanna turbo your car, dont be a cheap ass, take the time and do it properly to save yourself future headaches

Monday, November 15, 2010 11:29 AM
Leafy wrote:its a 2200 and the 3 speed auto, its the slowest j-body money can buy.

This

Monday, November 15, 2010 12:53 PM
oh im sorry i have the slowest j-body. you know what this site sucks. all you guys do is state things that make people feel worthless and hopeless. and half of u on the fourms have stock looking cav's... granted there might be something under the hood. but isnt it supposed to be were no matter what jbody you have u encourage people and make them feel good about their car. bottom line @!#$ you guys.

Monday, November 15, 2010 1:22 PM
Its called being realistic, you're much much better off starting with a better platform and doing @!#$ right the first time.
and you know why my car looks stock? Because every body kit made for these cars is rice as hell and I dont have the time and/or money to form my own.

Monday, November 15, 2010 2:50 PM
ninja bling wrote:oh im sorry i have the slowest j-body. you know what this site sucks. all you guys do is state things that make people feel worthless and hopeless. and half of u on the fourms have stock looking cav's... granted there might be something under the hood. but isnt it supposed to be were no matter what jbody you have u encourage people and make them feel good about their car. bottom line @!#$ you guys.

I just read this whole thread, and so far I haven't seen anyone "bash" on you, or try to make you feel "worthless and hopeless". Like Leafy said. it's called being realistic. No one is making fun of you car by calling it slow, maybe you misunderstand...we're not saying that YOUR 2200 3 spd is the slowest J out there, we're saying that the 2200 3 spd is just in fact, the slowest motor/trans combo that was manufactured in a J. I say this is someone who daily drives a 2200 3 spd.

I think what Leafy was pointing out is that a K03 turbo (which is indeed a tiny tiny turbo, and very ineffective when pair with ANY motor in a cavalier) isn't going to produce any noticeable power results for you. It's not going to make your car "peppier". You have to keep the difference in application in mind. Just because it works good in a VW, doesn't mean you'll get even close to the same results, even at the same boost. A K03 was designed for 1.8T motors, and 9-12psi on the motor it was designed for is going to yield much different results than 9-12psi on your motor. Unfortunately, boost is boost just isn't an accurate mindset to have about it. It's just like if you ran a generic t3/t4 hybrid on a 2.2 Eco at 8 psi, and gt35r on a 2.2 Eco at 8 psi, you are going to result it totally different outcomes, even though you are running the same amount of boost.

LAFNGAS said it best, and I would agree with 100%...a turbo that size is going to result in nothing more than extra back pressure and more EGTs, not more power.

Don't be one of those people that instantly blurts how much this site sucks and everyones a dick just because you didn't get the answer you wanted. There are a TON of people here who have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to boosting J bodies (some of those people already gave you advice in this thread, and ALL had the same thing to say)...No one is trying to discourage your from what you want to do, we're just trying to tell you to go about it smarter, and do it right the first time. There is NO. and I mean absolutely NO WAY to get boost cheap...I know you wanna save money; but if you cheap out and use inferior parts, don't tune, etc, you are going to be costing yourself a lot more money down the road than if you would do it properly right off the bat.

I assume you're new to boost (and don't go getting all butt hurt by me saying that, it's an observation, not an insult), instead of crying about the responses you don't like, why don't you spend some time in the boost forum reading topics that are there about boosting J's. Hell, there are probably hundreds of threads already in there about boosted 2200, and many guys have made some respectable power on them. But your going to need to do alot more than slap on a turbo and an intercooler. You're going to need to upgrade your injectors for one, you''ll need to figure out new fuel management, tuning, etc. Maybe read up and learn HOW a turbo system works; learn how cfms affect the system, etc. There is a ton to learn on this site if you take the time and look for it.

Monday, November 15, 2010 3:28 PM
guy i dgaf anymore.

Monday, November 15, 2010 7:25 PM
ninja bling wrote:guy i dgaf anymore.

Ok, don't let the door hit you in the a$$

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:21 AM
Damn...i was curious to see how he was gonna mate a 1.8T turbo to any existing LN2 turbo manifold. The cheapest LN2 turbo manifolds accomodate T3 exhaust housings. That means you need to have a custom manifold made for your undersized OEM turbo, because i'm 99% sure the 1.8t K03 has some odd turbine housing. Then you have the downpipe to worry about.. This amount of fabrication will cost you way more than a few fluid and/or vac lines.

Exactly how far into this project are you? Do you simply have possession of a K03 turbo, or do you have the hot side nearly finished?

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:38 AM
yea like there are doors on the internet.... lol

i am tring a remote setup. with the turbo at the end of the header. if that helps any oldskool.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:46 AM
Id like to see him finish this.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search