Neon disc swap how to - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Neon disc swap how to
Thursday, July 21, 2005 3:12 PM
This is a semi How-To for swapping Dodge Neon rear discs (using the factory J bearing) onto your car. This doesn’t require welding, however it does require a machine shop or access to a milling machine. I would give this 4/5 wrenches. Its not basic stuff, and it does require fabrication skills. I spent about $350 when all was said and done (all the parts except the cables came from the yard). I used Brembo rotors and Hawk HPS pads, but there are literally hundreds of pad/rotor combos out there. Since it retains the factory J bearing, you can keep your ABS if you want. My biggest disclaimer is about the proportioning. I have no idea if this will work with the factory master cylinder. I am using a bigger Bonneville unit with externally adjustable proportioning (which can also be used on 3rd gens if you ditch your ABS). All I can say is once someone tries it, please let everyone else know if it works, or what you needed to do to make it work.

Keep in mind I did this on my 2nd gen. The wheel bearing and drum setup is exactly the same all the way through 04, but the axle and the underbody dimensions are slightly different.

I used the brake setup from a 1996 Neon Sport-

Needed parts
The setup is the same from 95-02, so any year should work. To do what I did, you will need (part numbers for all this can be found here-

caliper bracket
caliper
backing plate/dust shield
rotor
ALL internal park brake hardware
balancer for park brake cables (inside car)
new park brake cables
new brake lines to go from hard bent to caliper

To start, remove all the J body hardware (drum, shoes, bearing, backing plate, park brake cables, etc). (There has already been talk of using the factory J park brake cables with the Neon caliper brackets. I have no idea if this will work, so please don’t ask. Try it and find out.)

Plumbing
You will need to figure out the brake plumbing. This is entirely up to you. Some info- the Neon uses a 7/16” banjo bolt, so your options are pretty open. I used these braided lines and these banjo fittings. At the unibody side, I used this adapter to get back to hard bent.

Some other options-
use the Neon hose and adapter from the salvage yard
install the adapter I used on the axle and use a shorter braided line
or, something entirely different, the options are pretty unlimited here

Park brake cables
You will need to run the park brake cables. I purchased new cables from Mopar. They are part #05273636 (2 req’d). There are 3 different cables available, I’m guessing for the sedan and coupe variants, but I’m not positive. The cables I used were the perfect length on my 1994. I don’t kow for sure if they will work on a 3rd gen. As I mentioned earlier, there is one other swap I know of using another Chrysler disc setup with the 2nd gen J cables. I DO NOT KNOW IF THAT WILL WORK FOR 3rd gens.

This is the Neon cable-

I drilled a 1” hole for the cable grommet to go into-

The grommet does move on the cable, and there is a little clamp holding it in place. It was in the perfect spot and I didn’t have to move it for my car.

This is the balancer from the Neon. It is not available from the dealer without buying the entire park brake handle, so get it at the yard-

You will need to build a bracket to hold the cable ends. I used ½” steel angle-

I had to shorten the arm on the Cavalier lever to take up the slack since I couldn’t move the bracket any farther to the rear-

Caliper brackets
You need to have the Neon caliper brackets machined. This can be done at home, provided you take your time and make sure the center hole is dead on. I had it done at a machine shop for $60.

These are the Neon caliper brackets before machining-

You will need to have the center hole reamed out and the four bearing bolt holes drilled, as well as some clearance cuts made. This is what it should look like after machining-

Assembly
Assembling this is not much more difficult than replacing the wheel bearing. The factory bearing bolts can be used with no issues. It’s a tiny bit more difficult to get them in with the park brake shoes on, but they fit. Once you’ve got the bearing bolted up, you need to figure out a way to shim the rotor out so it doesn’t rub on the backing plate/dust shield. I used a 1/16” thick washer on each stud until I get some plates made to fit. I thought about this problem for awhile. You could space the bearing away from the caliper bracket, but that would leave even less thread on the bearing bolts. It is only about 1/16”, so I’ll leave the decision up to you, but the rotor DOES need to come away from the plate, or it will drag.

Finished

Heres some shots of the finished assembly-

I think the best thing about this is that all the wear and tear items can be directly replaced (rotor, caliper, pads, bearing) with factory or aftermarket parts.

I’m pretty sure I’ve covered all the bases for this. I can’t stress enough- this was done on my 2nd gen, so the cables may not work on a 3rd gen and you may need to work something else out, but the actual caliper bracket, shield, etc will fit since there is more clearance between the bearind plate and strut on 3rd gens.

Any questions- post away, but please read the entire thing first.

Re: Neon disc swap how to
Thursday, July 21, 2005 7:39 PM
this is beautiful, i love you.

Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:38 PM
Very cool. I like it

Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:52 PM
Awsome man , that's really innovative. Your car's the @!#$ BTW.
Friday, July 22, 2005 6:22 PM
Well done, friend. That will be the best option for NA car's brakes.
Great find and excelent work.

Regards,

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Friday, July 22, 2005 8:43 PM
Just curious as to what the four bolts holding the bracket on the neon were? anything special, i was at a yard today and saw a neon with the setup and was curious what i would need to bring to remove them myself. it looks safe to say that those 4 bolts or whatever are all that hold the setup on the car is this correct?

208whp 239wtq
13.7 @ 102mph 2.19 60'
Friday, July 22, 2005 10:21 PM
Any pics of the ebrake set up behind the rotor? I'm curious as to how it is set up.

also this needs stickied

Saturday, July 23, 2005 6:24 AM
cool

Monday, July 25, 2005 10:13 AM
NotsoOceansideEco wrote:Just curious as to what the four bolts holding the bracket on the neon were? anything special, i was at a yard today and saw a neon with the setup and was curious what i would need to bring to remove them myself. it looks safe to say that those 4 bolts or whatever are all that hold the setup on the car is this correct?

They're just a bolt in a threaded hole since the Neon uses a stub-type axle. You'll need a 15mm socket to remove them. They may be pretty stubborn, but they will come out.

JCBLL95 wrote:Any pics of the ebrake set up behind the rotor? I'm curious as to how it is set up.

also this needs stickied

It looks exactly like a drum brake. Hold down pins, return springs, star wheels, etc. The only difference is the lack of a wheel cylinder and the addition of a lever to apply the shoes.

Monday, July 25, 2005 11:13 AM
Thanks James. I picked up the calipers this weekend for this swap. I couldnt get the stupid caliper brackets off the neon though lol.. So ill be heading back this weekend with more muscle lol.

Btw, I dont know if you said, but what are the measurements that the center has to be milled out to?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, July 25, 2005 7:20 PM
I don't know the dimension off hand. I had a spare axle, and I brought it to the machine shop when I had the guy do the work. Somewhere on the LT3 forum, there are dimensions for it. I will try to dig them up (if they're even there anymore, since that was over a year ago) If I can't find them, I will measure up a Cav backing plate (if I can find one of the spares I have- I just got home from my Bashes trip and my garage is a mess from before I left).

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 12:15 PM
Any update James?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, July 27, 2005 1:42 PM
I searched for some time last night for the dimesnions. I came to find out that the board they were on doesn't even exist anymore. When I was looking into using a complete Saab setup (they use the exact same bearing bolt pattern) there was guy in Enghland doing measurments for me.

Anyways, I will measure up a backing plate tonight and post it later.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 1:43 PM
I searched for some time last night for the dimesnions. I came to find out that the board they were on doesn't even exist anymore. When I was looking into using a complete Saab setup (they use the exact same bearing bolt pattern) there was guy in Enghland doing measurments for me.

Anyways, I will measure up a backing plate tonight and post it later.

Thursday, July 28, 2005 5:55 PM
Hi James. Hi friends.

After a little research in my notes I found the info that I have been asking you; sorry I was lazy at the moment when I ask here in this thread.

95-97 Neon rear disc's:
Rear Rotor: 270mm OD, 5x100mm bolt pattern
Rear Piston / Cylinder diameter: 34mm
Rear Lining: Bendix 7805
master Cylinder Bore: 22.2mm

98-99 Neon rear disc's:
Rear Rotor: 270mm OD, 5x100mm bolt pattern
Rear Piston / Cylinder diameter: 34mm
Rear Lining: BBA 2006
master Cylinder Bore: 22.2mm

According to my calculations (3rd gen J-bodies uses a 7/8” master cylinder, 7/8” wheel cylinders and 4 points / wheels ABS & proportioning system) stock j-body brakes will work really cute with stock Neon’s rear discs system. Check out this pages.

Jbodies stock brakes calculation:

Jbodies with neon rear disc brakes:

These worksheets are only a roughly estimation, with some % of error in the results, but good enough to make you an idea how the stuff will work.

I hope that info help you.

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:11 PM
lots of red X's ^ so are you saying the 3rd gen proportioning will work or not? witht he red x's I cant tell

208whp 239wtq
13.7 @ 102mph 2.19 60'
Saturday, July 30, 2005 4:41 AM
Hi friends, well I post the pics again.

Neon rotors info:

Stock j-body brakes calculations:

J-body stock front brakes and Neon's rear brakes calculation:

As a result, neon rear brakes should work well in j-bodies, proportioning too. As you can see you gain brake power and a better brake distribution without been excesive.
I think it look good.

Regards,

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Saturday, July 30, 2005 9:26 AM
Can we get an estimate in Cdn.Dollars and all Sport neons from 94-99 came with rear disc breaks and can you assemble a template for the machining that is required for a 3rd gen I beleive the specs for the rear hubs are the same for 2,3rd gen?

"Faster then the speed of rice! "
Saturday, July 30, 2005 1:24 PM
Well my one question I had about Neon rotors seems to be answered by your pictures. I bought 04 rotor a few weeks back for making my SSBC rears smaller & apparently all Neon rotors are solid. Brembo hasn't listed any as VR that I saw either Anyone know if the SRT-4 has vented rears? I have yet to find those available in stores here.
Saturday, July 30, 2005 2:42 PM
Nevermind, all the Neon rears will more then likely be solid since they have that damn internal drum ebrake....
Saturday, July 30, 2005 3:16 PM

see ya!

Saturday, July 30, 2005 3:45 PM
From the neon I got all my parts off of it looks like 3rd gens get it a little easier then the 2nd gen guys the brake cable off the neon from the metal to hose switch is nearly if not the perfect legth to go from the stock 3rd gen tube to hose section to the caliper so its a stock neon brake line, im going to attempt to use it if i have any problems I'll post.

Im all Im waiting on now is the funds for some pads and rotors, Im not looking for anything special so if you know of some cheap let me know the sooner i come across them the sooner I finish.

As far as the ebrake, the 3rd gen cable end looks very close to the neons so it may work as well but I dunno if ill be able to test that since my neon setup came with one side with a missing ebrake shoe but i suppose one side should still work. Ill let you guys know unless someone beats me to it.

208whp 239wtq
13.7 @ 102mph 2.19 60'
Saturday, July 30, 2005 5:32 PM
Dont know if you have Advance Auto Parts there but the cheapest rear rotor is Rabestos 76551RGS for $28 each.
Saturday, July 30, 2005 6:33 PM
have to look around but pretty sure i had seen them for 42 for the pair somewhere else maybe it was 47 but none the less cheaper Ill take a look

208whp 239wtq
13.7 @ 102mph 2.19 60'
Saturday, July 30, 2005 11:37 PM
Measurements for the clearancing on the caliper brackets, anyone figured it out for the third gens yet?

NotsoOceansideEco- you say the stock Neon soft hose will work, lengthwise, on the third gens? do you still need the adapter to go from hard line to soft? Any info on the use of the stock j-body e-brake cables is needed as well. I'm ready for rear disk brakes now. LOL

Oh, and any more info on the proportioning? is it needed? bigger brakes in the front should return everything to normal, shouldn't it?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search