Neon disc swap how to - Page 26 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Friday, February 06, 2009 6:06 PM
I've finally finished reading this whole thread and I noticed the lack of info on what's different for doing the 11.25 rotors. any extra info would be appreciated.

I managed to find a set at the junk yard, but I noticed that these ones have the spindle built right onto the backing plate. . . HELP?!?!?!?

Sunday, February 08, 2009 10:17 AM
here's a pic of what I'm talking about. I've removed the bolts and that's what was holding the backing plate to the axle.

and this is what the junkyard gave me. off a 88-89ish Daytona Shelby.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:37 PM
Those look just like the setup that I got from a 2001 Chrysler Sebring convertible. You need to remove the four bolts and the spindle will come out. What I did was use the left bracket and had it machined for the right side and the same for the other side; that way the e-brake cables can still be used. Basically they will be upside down on the Cavy. I made a drawing on how it should look after it is machined. You will have to grind the corners of the mounting plate of the Cavy spindle. You will also have to grind some material off of the Shelby bracket on the back side so that it can be mounted on the Cavy axle. If I can put the drawing on here I will as soon as I can.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:38 PM
I've got it all figured out. after sandblasting the backing plate a bit, the spindle would come out a lot easier.

everything is set up for mine to be done, just gotta get them over to the machine shop.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 12:20 PM
Ive got one of these whole kits up for grabs. Comes with everything needed 95-05, rotors, pads, calipers, the works.... check the classifieds or NE region for my FS post.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 5:45 PM
Wow, I just read this whole thread from start to finish. *passes out*
I've PM'd Joshua already about this but haven't got a reply yet and yes, I did read the whole thread, carefully.
The question was never answered about using 2004 Neon SRT-4 rotors along with their calipers in conjunction with the 1995 Neon Sport brackets to work with this swap.
I'll be using the 1996 brackets from Mr. Dearmans GP some time ago but was wondering if the SRT-4 rotors/ calipers would fit onto the brackets with no issues.
The only difference in my research on the differences is that the Neon Rotor is thicker while the Neon Sport (1996) is just a touch thinner. Calipers look identical to each other but have different part numbers from every car parts place I could find. The only thing I can think of for the differences is that the calipers for the SRT rotors accomodate the slightly wider rotor.
Simple question and hope there's a simple answer.
Thanks.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, April 18, 2009 12:43 PM
Brad and ravaged,

If you do it the way ravaged said, you will have your calipers hanging upside down. I personally did not like that idea for the 11.25" setup.

What I've done on my and bobby's setup is I cut of the ebrake hump and placed the bracket right side up. The problem is that then the ebrake lever won't swing, so you'll need to grind out a groove in the car's flange for it to swing. When it's all done, silicone the gap between the car's flange and the bracket.

I don't check this thread often so PM me if you have any questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:34 AM
I'll try here first....

I have all the required equipment to do the Neon RDB swap and I'm doing it on my L-body, BUT I registered over here to ask around if anyone has the ability or someone around them that could machine the brackets to fit the bearings. I've come up empty handed around here locally so I apparently need to find help elsewhere. If anyone has any info or could help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1996 Raspberry Metallic Beretta Z26 Conversion
3500/3400 Hybrid, Custom Cam 216/240 .050 dur .517/.568 lift 112LSA
Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Modified headers.
Rebuilt 4t60e, FD9 2095 stall Heavy Duty Converter, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
12.67@107 < 100shot 4T60E

Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:51 PM
double check at teh auto store, but i think your rear bearing are the same as the J-body. if so you can use the info off the first page of this how-to. be careful though and make sure they look up ABS = ABS, non- ABS =non-ABS. they will be different part numbers but the mounting holes should be the same.

Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:36 PM
Thats not my question. J-body's and L-body's share the exact same setups... front and rear, except your front caliper is on the front of the knuckle, mine is on the back. I can use any and all J-body brake upgrades, and I've already determined that and know what needs to be done.

Now what I need is the Neon brackets machined as they need to be... I can't get someone local to do it around where I live, so I figured I would ask on here to see if anyone either has a set modified that they are willing to seperate with, or help by letting me know where I could send them to get machined.

Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:53 PM
Well.....I have very little exsperience machining these brackets. But I have done 'some' so I might be able to help. BUT.....I'm not in any position to maching any right now since my machines are 1800 miles away right now and I dont see anytime in the near future when I will be around them. So before anybody sends you my way and you throw me a PM asking me to do it, sadly right now I can not. I do however have a single machined 'side', not sure whether it be left or the right off the top of my head but I have one of the sides left over....I always end up with an odd number of brackets caused by my QC rejects....sucks, but better than sending out a $hitty bracket. You might be able to use that along with the other side, take them to the machine shop and tell them to mirror the cuts on the other unmachined bracket. Again, allbeit they should still need the specialty tools associated with the task. But that might help them with their lack of confidence if that maybe the only reason they dont want to do the work. Your welcome to PM me if interested or if you have any other questions.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous

Friday, April 24, 2009 6:40 AM
I appreciate your reply... I hope someone else knows someone local who can help me, As far as bringing in a left or right side to copy, I don't think that's the issue... I have a machine shop here where I work 100% fully at my disposal, BUT I've been told by them, we don't mess with anything regarding brakes or steering... I wish they could let me just sign a waver saying I won't hold them responsible for anything, AND the few places around me that I've checked say they don't have the tools, they only do boring and honing of blocks and such... nothing "custom" machining...

I have one other place I'm going to contact and it's where I had them make me my brackets to do my Vette calipers on my old rear disc conversion on my other L-body... Maybe they can do this.

Thanks again.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 8:58 PM
So I have a set of rear disk brakes off and 95 or a 98 neon and I'm about to start calling some machine shops tomorrow and see who will do the work for me. Anyways I have been thinking about the brake hose setup and the problems some people had finding the right adaptors or whatever so here is what I came up with. Now this is assuming that the beretta and the neon have the same diameter steel lines running to the back. Why not just take the fitting off the neon's steel line, cut the flare off the beretta's steel line and remove the beretta fitting, put the neon fitting on the beretta's steel line, and then reflare the beretta steel line? Sounds like it would work like a charm to me.......
Friday, June 19, 2009 12:21 PM
what i did for my corvette rear brakes aswell as my buddies neon set up is both got full c4 corvette SS brake line kits (front & rear), and 2 pairs of rear J SS lines. we put the rear SS J lines in the stock position, than a small hard line along the trailing arm, than the corvette rear lines from the hard line to the caliper.....No adaptors and BS needed, just need the proper banjo bolt.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, June 19, 2009 12:26 PM

Thursday, July 09, 2009 8:12 PM
After reading this again, the question still arises on the caliper bolt to use for either the banjo fitting or the direct fit adaptor.
Is it 7/16-20 thread for the banjo bolt and the first generation Neons, 7/16-24 thread for the second generation Neons, or M10x1.0 for the said banjo bolt that fits directly into the caliper for the brake fluid.
All the reading I've done didn't really give me this info so in quest of my answer, ordered the appropriate fitting.
I'm also using the 2004 Neon SRT calipers which I do know don't take the 7/16-20 banjo bolt. So that rules out that fitting for the second gen Neons but others may want to know if that's the correct size for the first gens.

Like Gary Frank, I'm using the RKSport rear J-body stainless lines along with 24 inch stainless lines that I ordered to finish up the Neon disc conversion for the car.
I'll update once I get to that point.
Oh and just for the heck of it, here's some pics since it's related to the thread.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, July 09, 2009 8:39 PM
Why sweat it? take off a caliper, go to the auto store, and fit it up. might want to take both if you got rebuilt calipers. I had to swap one out, one was one thread, one was the other. But it is, 7/16, the 10x1.0 id on the Jbody side of things.

Sunday, July 26, 2009 7:06 PM
If it helps anybody just contact me for the brake line stuff....I can get all the adapters needed with no BS. Just a thoguht to try and help out..especially those guys buying the corvette rear kits AND the J rear kits...thats a lot of dough. Just a thought...trying to help.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Monday, July 27, 2009 4:21 PM
Joshua, on some of the Neon rear calipers for the Neon swap, they're using helicoil inserts which are converting the 7/16-24 thread to 10.0x1.0 threading.
It took me a few tries with adaptors to -3AN and finally figured out the correct size needed to make it work.
I'm presenting you this because this is the issue I had with the Neon swap which is now complete.
But the adapters you had in your Neon swap kit for the hard lines were perfect for both front and rear stainless lines.
Also as a footnote, the 30 inch rear lines were extremely too long where the 26 inch or 28 inch size would've been perfect.
Here's your 30's on the car until I get the funds again to get the correct size.

The finished product.

I'll eventually get the time to finish up my how to and post it here as that may help a bit too.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:31 PM
Wow...your the first I've ever heard of with the calipers running M10x1.0. Some people get the 7/16-20 instead of the standard 7/16-24 but that's about it. Weird. Also, alot of people put a loop in the line before they enter the top of the axle...that would take up alot of that slack. The lines fit perfectly when that is done....but yours looks nice too, esp. when you shorten them up...will look great. Let me know if you want my help with the lines later on.

Saturday, August 08, 2009 6:16 PM
i just wanted to thank josh for this kit.. i have had the swap done on my car with everything he included in the kit and it worked just fine... hell i also left the RPV's in and i have zero brake drag.... i just got 96 neon calipers from advance auto parts without any fuss with the adapters they worked as they should have. i really like the an fittings because they dont require a bunch of torque and they dont leak... i am very happy with the neon rears... thanks again josh for putting together such a nice kit and they look SO much better than the drums lol....

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:59 PM
Wow. Its been 4 years since I did this...... I think I've put maybe 4000 miles on the car since then.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 6:13 PM
oh and also thanks james for taking the time to come up with the idea for us as well cant forget about you man......

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:11 PM
Viper98912 wrote:Brad and ravaged,

If you do it the way ravaged said, you will have your calipers hanging upside down. I personally did not like that idea for the 11.25" setup.

It's been a while but to respond to this what I did was switch the calipers. I put the left one on the right side and the right one on the left side. The calipers bolted right in and the bleed screw was on top of the caliper so I was able to bleed them properly.

Now on to a question. Has anyone figured out if the proportioning valves (2psi) are needed or does this setup require no valves at all? I still have the factory ones on (I haven't had time to mess with my car) but don't know how I should continue. Here are my options (someone who knows for sure answer this so that everyone can do it right (I don't know if someone has asked this but I did search but didn't find the "official" answer to this))

A. Leave as is with factory 10 psi Valves
B. Remove 10psi and replace with 2psi Valves
C. Remove 10psi and leave lines with no valve.
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:43 PM
A. It's in the thread that the 10psi units are too much pressure for the rear discs. They will drag continuously on the rotors with that much pressure and 2psi would be the replacement for the originals.

B. Yes.

C. Can't give you an honest answer on that but I can say that on my car, I never had the valves installed from the factory.
I'm almost finished with the car for now and should have the car back on the road again to test out the rear discs with no valves in the system at all.

Good luck with it and I'm sure that someone will chime in here with more information on this.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:20 PM
Misnblu wrote:A. It's in the thread that the 10psi units are too much pressure for the rear discs. They will drag continuously on the rotors with that much pressure and 2psi would be the replacement for the originals.

B. Yes.

C. Can't give you an honest answer on that but I can say that on my car, I never had the valves installed from the factory.
I'm almost finished with the car for now and should have the car back on the road again to test out the rear discs with no valves in the system at all.

Good luck with it and I'm sure that someone will chime in here with more information on this.

Actually if you read Josh's post when he made the group purchase for the kits, he says that you can leave the stock rpv's in.

I left mine in and I have zero brake drag. You can take the wheel off and look down right ontop of the caliper and you can see light passing through on both sides of the disk between the pads. So that's not dragging. If you use the adaptors that Josh recomends and the ss lines it won't drag. Unless I'm just lucky.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search