Whats involved in swapping a 2001 2.4 auto to sfi 2.2 auto? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Whats involved in swapping a 2001 2.4 auto to sfi 2.2 auto?
Saturday, October 06, 2018 4:05 PM
I bought an 01 z24 off a friend of mine he got in a trade and was suprised when I popped the hood and it had the old pushrod 2200.I looked up the vin and it was originally a 2.4.I'm not interested in swapping it back or anything, I just want to know what they had to change to do it or if it was a pretty simple swap.Also I only got a key with the car but when I decoded the vin it said it had remote keyless entry, would that still be in the car or was it part of the 2.4 ecu?

Re: Whats involved in swapping a 2001 2.4 auto to sfi 2.2 auto?
Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:38 AM
Keyless entry is controlled by the body control module. It's unlikely that they changed that for the swap unless they re-wired the entire car, which isn't necessary.

The swap is relatively straight forward. It does require a transmission swap as well. If it's manual, half of the case could be swapped to get the correct bell-housing (though it's unlikely that someone would go through the trouble). The actual transmission is the same other than the bell-housing that's part of the case. The engine harness, PCM, hoses, belt, engine mounts, exhaust manifold and downpipe are really all that's different. A 2.4 PCM could even be used to run a 2.2 but it would require tuning via HPTuners or another software packages that supports this platform.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search