I have a weird trans-fluid smell... - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I have a weird trans-fluid smell...
Saturday, March 04, 2017 11:21 AM
So got to 97K the other day, and on my long list of 100K maintenance that needs done, i went to get a transmission drain/refill + filter replacement.
-- Automatic 2005 LS

The car is factory with Dexron-VI, but the shop put full synthetic in it, explaining it's better against heat, slipping, etc...

Anyhoo, while i did notice an improvement in shifting, after about a week or so, I now have a smell of hot transmission fluid if being in stop-n-go traffic.
It doesn't seem to over-heat, or leak fluid, and it doesn't appear to be burning it, nor does the smell have a "burned" smell to it... just a "hot" smell...
I don't see smoke or anything else, and the car isn't acting weird at all...

So, I jacked the car up, made sure all the bolts on the pan are secure & well-tight, and wiped everything sparkly clean (to check for leaks) then drove around for about 20 minutes, to come back and check it again & it was still just as lean as i had made it... so i am eliminating leaks as a possible cause.

Not really sure what to do on this one...

can someone offer some insight on this? ..because if i need to flush again & put dex-VI in it, i will.

Re: I have a weird trans-fluid smell...
Saturday, March 04, 2017 2:16 PM
Some synthetic ATFs have a potent smell. Amsoil is a particularly smelly fluid.
Saturday, March 04, 2017 5:29 PM
So, I'm fine then?

I assume I am... I just wanted to ask.
Saturday, March 04, 2017 7:16 PM
I'm my opinion, if the fluid is Dexron approved, no obvious leaks can be found, and the fluid doesn't appear to be scorched, I would continue to observe the level, color, and smell of then fluid to ensure things are kosher. Perhaps check the exhaust pipe for greasy handprints too. I know you said it doesn't smell burnt not is it smokey, but this could be a cause too.
Saturday, March 04, 2017 8:32 PM
alright... ill keep checking it

as for the exhaust being dirty, its been through 3 car washes since (with under-carriage blast) then... so i doubt that is the cause.

idk, if ends up bothering me enough, i might just do a drain and refill again... (or would that be not-suggested?)
Tuesday, March 07, 2017 1:19 PM
Again back to observation. See if there is a leak you hadn't noticed before. Check the cap. If they overfilled, there could be fluid on the top of the transaxle from the breather. I think if it's obnoxious in odor or causing problems, go back to DexVI. If it's not a DexVI fluid, drain it and refill it.
Wednesday, March 08, 2017 5:49 PM
Sorry for the late reply...

Anyhoo, yeah, I'll likely just do another flush and refill.
Then witch back to dex-VI

Thank you for your help thus far.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search