cobalt steering wheel... revisited - Page 3 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: cobalt steering wheel... revisited
Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:04 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:
redrider02 wrote:Would someone be able to use this steering wheel along with a cobalt stereo and have the function of the controls?

yea, but how you'd get the cobalt stereo in the dash of the jbody might be a bit tough.

Cobalt stereo won't run without the Cobalt BCM. It's locked by class 2 data and turns on by class 2 data.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 4:03 AM
arrival_04_eco (green98cav) wrote:
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:Looks good like I said in the texts.

This also means the 03+ guys now have a steering wheel adapter available as well though.

Cobalt Addiction custom made MOMO hub

im confused a little i have a momo hub on my 04 currently running a sparco wheel with no issues..

part # of said Hub ???? did you do a column swap ?

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:01 AM
the Jew wrote:
arrival_04_eco (green98cav) wrote:
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:Looks good like I said in the texts.

This also means the 03+ guys now have a steering wheel adapter available as well though.

Cobalt Addiction custom made MOMO hub

im confused a little i have a momo hub on my 04 currently running a sparco wheel with no issues..

part # of said Hub ???? did you do a column swap ?

No column swap just plug and play. I'm at work so I don't know the part number but I got it from Jason at a plus. He knew exactly what I needed for my car

Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:05 AM
Get me this number son!

I need to look into that because MOMO swears they dont offer a hub for the 03+

HUB SPACER BLOW OUT SALE!!! Get yours before they're gone!

I <3 JGM

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Friday, January 28, 2011 5:46 AM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:Get me this number son!

I need to look into that because MOMO swears they dont offer a hub for the 03+

THIS

Friday, January 28, 2011 5:48 AM
The one Kenny sells at cobalt addiction is one he makes using a momo hub, wonder if Jason had done the same thing?

HUB SPACER BLOW OUT SALE!!! Get yours before they're gone!

I <3 JGM

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Friday, January 28, 2011 3:59 PM
bradsk88 wrote:
redrider02 wrote:Would someone be able to use this steering wheel along with a cobalt stereo and have the function of the controls?

yea, but how you'd get the cobalt stereo in the dash of the jbody might be a bit tough.

Cobalt stereo won't run without the Cobalt BCM. It's locked by class 2 data and turns on by class 2 data.

you doo realize the 00+ cars are the same way right

theres no point in even trying cause the cobalt radio isn't that great if you want an indash changer get one from an 02 montana or equivelant modle if your 00+

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, January 28, 2011 4:03 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:
bradsk88 wrote:

you doo realize the 00+ cars are the same way right

theres no point in even trying cause the cobalt radio isn't that great if you want an indash changer get one from an 02 montana or equivelant modle if your 00+

You doo realize it still wouldn't work, right?

Friday, January 28, 2011 6:36 PM
man making those buttons into suspension controls would be sweet. Got me thinkin.

Friday, January 28, 2011 7:00 PM

The only reason I was interested in the Cobalt radio was for the input jack. I know I can get aftermarket, but I like the factory look and they are usually less wanted by theifs. What GM radios can I use that have the input jack on them?

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"
Sunday, January 30, 2011 6:29 AM
why not an aftermarket ipod adapter, the mount the tiny little jack out of sight without changing any look.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 7:40 PM
after I read this topic I decided that I would like to use this steering wheel as well.

after looking at some clocksprings that I have around here and compared them to the 00 column and the 03 column they all mount on the same way. I think a clockspring from a 96-99 sunfire with the radio controls should work. I am gonna dig one up and confirm that it will work.
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:17 AM
updates????

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 5:43 PM
the Jew wrote:updates????

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:06 PM
i do know ryan tried an alero and grand prix clock spring and they don't work right so a sunfire one is the one to use and according to GM parts book the buick riviera uses the same one but

if you wanna use the buttons track down a sunfire clock spring

i know ryans airbag came in i think hes looking at changing the gas modual

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:57 PM
so you could theoretically use this wheel without the airbag right? or would the airbag not being there make the center section really soft and stupid to press the horn?

www.driftnamiperformance.com
Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:56 PM
you can buy the covers from ebay then buy an emblem .... get a blown bag from a wrecker so everything looks complete

problem is... by the time you aquire all those pieces you might as well buy a complete airbag
Monday, February 14, 2011 5:37 PM
ok guys update.

got my cobalt clock spring today. its in pretty crappy condition (the wires for the airbags are burnt) but the rest of it seems ok.

took the wheel out to mock up the cobalt clockspring and there is no chance in hell of this thing fitting.

it interferes with the steering wheel lock-ring (the thing that locks the steering wheel with the key out of the ignition), the wiper switch and the blinker switch.

there's no place for the connections for the radio controls to go

if anything, a sunfire clock spring with radio controls may work but you'll have to re do the connector on the steering wheel to mate up to the sunfire clock spring. (something I will look into)

in the meantime, I drilled a hole in the frame of the steering wheel for the positive input for the horn to come through. pictures coming soon.

all thats next is to get my hands on a cobalt airbag so I can see what I'm going to do about the gas module hook up. But a J-body clockspring is an absolute must.

Monday, February 14, 2011 5:48 PM
the sunfire clock spring will work, i have already test fit a 98 clock spring on an 03 column.

all the buttons on the steering wheel work on ohms of resistance, get one of the pac steering wheel modules for your aftermarket deck and program the buttons for the specific funtions.
Monday, February 14, 2011 7:39 PM
Whitez wrote:the sunfire clock spring will work, i have already test fit a 98 clock spring on an 03 column.

all the buttons on the steering wheel work on ohms of resistance, get one of the pac steering wheel modules for your aftermarket deck and program the buttons for the specific funtions.

yes I know the clockspring will fit the column, I'm referring to the different plug on the cobalt steering wheel vs the sunfire clockspring.

there are only 4 wires for the radio controls on the sunfire clockspring, vs the 8 wires for the cobalt plug (radio controls and cruise controls are built into the wheel)

you've have to cut the connector and put the matching one for the sunfire clockspring on, and gotta isolate the wires for the radio controls. seems simple, assuming that 4 wires control the radio only on the cobalt wheel.

I haven't cross referenced the electrical diagrams yet. my goal right now is to get the horn working and then I'm going from there.

Monday, February 21, 2011 7:24 AM
i know ryan just tryied the 00+ gas modual on the cobalt wheel and its not a driect exchange looks like the cobalt bag and gas modual would have to be used and then wire to the highspeed side pending the resistance is the same. i hope to go look at some diagrams todayif i go out to the garage

JBO since July 30, 2001

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:37 PM
Any updates? this is awesome.
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:15 PM
the cobalt radio controls and cruise controls utilize a lot of wires.

the cobalt clockspring will not fit on the jbody column.
finding the sunfire clockspring with the integrated radio controls would be your best bet if you want to utilize the radio controls on the cobalt steering wheel. both have 4 wires so in theory you could get it to work, but I'm having trouble finding a sunfire clock spring.

you have to drill a hole in the frame of the cobalt steering wheel for the horn wire to slip through. Then, this needs to be connected to the red wires that touch the horn switches that are underneath the airbag.

I've put a bid on a cobalt airbag since I'm not too worried about the radio controls for now, but the sunfire clockspring is on the to-do list in the future.

Monday, May 16, 2011 9:22 PM
update:

I just got my hands on a cobalt airbag. As soon as I get it in, I will post up pictures. Until I can source a sunfire clockspring (looks like I'll have to hit the dealer for one.. YIKES), the radio controls will be dead for now.

I ALSO scored a set of cobalt sport cloth seats on ebay... which will pretty much make me happier than a pig in poopoo so far as my daily driver goes. I got both for really good prices.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:30 PM
airbag mounted in place:

I also found a sunfire clockspring with radio controls on rockauto. its expensive, but worth it IMO (especially since I can't find them anywhere.. I may try a dealer to see if they are any cheaper). Once I get that to replace my existing clockspring, I will be able to hook up the radio controls on the cobalt steering wheel using an interface for my alpine headunit.

one downside to hooking the airbag up, is you need the connector from the cobalt clockspring. I'm currently sourcing the connector manufacture and part number.. but luckily, the GM clockspring for the cobalt isn't that expensive ($50), so I'm buying the entire assembly to hopefully be able to de-pin the connector and put it on the jbody clockspring so it will hook up to stage 1 of the cobalt airbag.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search