HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics) - Page 4 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Thursday, April 13, 2006 5:19 PM
Brandon Crawford wrote:im doing my interior two-tone black and silver, what brand/type of paint would you recommend?

I'm assuming your using spraypaint. If so, like this thread said I used Dupli-Color abd it came out great. Other's have used Krylon fusion and they seem happy, but I can't comment since I have not used it.

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, April 13, 2006 5:53 PM
Will the Paint Cure Faster if i turn up the heat in the area in which the things are drying?

And whats the best way to make a set up in my basement for painting these things?> Like How do i Secure a place so that no hair or dust Will Settle on my Painting Process. Id hate to have layer on layer, and then have a small hair Screww it all up as i try to pick it off with TweeZers, lol
Thursday, April 13, 2006 7:56 PM
Brandon Badger wrote:Will the Paint Cure Faster if i turn up the heat in the area in which the things are drying?

And whats the best way to make a set up in my basement for painting these things?> Like How do i Secure a place so that no hair or dust Will Settle on my Painting Process. Id hate to have layer on layer, and then have a small hair Screww it all up as i try to pick it off with TweeZers, lol

Get a roll of plastic sheeting and set up an area to paint in.

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:57 PM
I would say if you are going to use spraypaint, go with Fusion, I have used it and it sprays and lays down almost like an HVLP gun would lay it down. And it does have a great shine to it, but like I have been saying, the durability just isnt there. I would say for the BEST results as far as durability goes, I would put a heat lamp on it for like 4-5 hours to get it dry, then let it harden for like a couple weeks before even putting it in your car. But hey, slimmatic, I have dove into many projects where i didnt know what the hell I was doing, and they were deffinatly learning experiences, and I learned a lot by doing it that way, but it has cost me quite a bit of time and effort, I think all of us have, and the people that have now understand the importance to research......I dont think I could have said that one better......but I am just here to try and save some people some time and effort and many times money. And for the people that are wondering about what paint, if your going to be spraying it with a gun, I am a PPG person myself, I love all of their products, and for interior I am using PPG OMNI Basecoat/Clear. Omni is their cheaper line of products, which means that it doesnt have the best matching ability, I deffinatly wouldnt want to paint just a fender of my car with OMNI, b/c most of the time it is a few shades off one way or the other, but for this I dont see any advantage to going to their more expensive line of products. Great durability and you can get one heck of a shine off of it. Deffinatly more expensive way then doing it with a rattlecan, but the reward in the end is so much more worth it. So if you have extra money laying around, I would say go for it.
Friday, April 14, 2006 10:47 PM
OK i have a question... I have a friend with a HVLP Gun, everyone is talking about sanding, what if you dont mind the texture? WIll painting it with the texture still work well? It won't look smooth i know, but will the paint still stick and everything?
Saturday, April 15, 2006 12:02 AM
and... i have the same brand of paint, and its silver... when i paint, the texture is like frickin sand paper... and this hasnt ever happened to me before, and ive done my fair share of painting, so wtf is goin on?
thanks slimmatic

Saturday, April 15, 2006 2:42 PM
DcM wrote:OK i have a question... I have a friend with a HVLP Gun, everyone is talking about sanding, what if you dont mind the texture? WIll painting it with the texture still work well? It won't look smooth i know, but will the paint still stick and everything?

Yes, that will be fone. Scruff it up with like 400 sandpaper first, then pirme and stuff like normal.

Brandon Crawford wrote:and... i have the same brand of paint, and its silver... when i paint, the texture is like frickin sand paper... and this hasnt ever happened to me before, and ive done my fair share of painting, so wtf is goin on?
thanks slimmatic

You mean after you paint it is course? This will happen, especially if dust or other particles get into your paint. This is why I suggest sanding after a few coats of paint, and after you are done painting. If this is not what your talkin about, please clarify for me.

Wide Body Progress

Saturday, April 15, 2006 4:18 PM
just wanna thank you for the GREAT write up man!! after reading it and studying pretty good i yanked every piece of plasic in my interior,even the back seat panels and am about half way done..ill post pics of everything when im done so you can see how crapy,,er..good i did ...my only problem now is the dash and surrounding plastic, but i guess thats a totally differnt write up altogether huh

Sunday, April 16, 2006 12:25 PM
hey...just thinkin maybe i should post pics of what happens when you do it the WRONG way...like i just tried to put clear coat over the restorer without stripping the wax...didnt turn out so well..back to sanding

Sunday, April 16, 2006 7:48 PM
yeah i just pulled out the plastic piece that surrounds the fuse panel and the passenger side piece and am trying this out, i'm kinda having a rough time with the primering stage but i think it will come together here.

what happens if you dont use the 3M stuff?

i pulled it out, sanded it with course, then worked to finer, cleaned it a few times, sanded even finer, then cleaned and then primered, and i had some real problems with it looking coarse. any suggestions? just sand it with some fine sandpaper and keep hitting it with the primer or what?

Sunday, April 16, 2006 8:09 PM
i found that the primer stage turned out quite well, i sanded the plastic smooth with 400 and found that to be quite enough to get a good prime...i put a couple layers or primer on it,let it dry then sanded 400-800 and cleaned,then painted......as far as the 3m stuff i thought that sanding the paint was gonna ruin it but that 3m stuff is AMAZING...i used 1500 to sand down the paint after it dried,which made it VERY hazy..but after i applied the 3m it smoothed out soooooo nice...right now im tring to figure out how to prep it properly for the clear coat

Sunday, April 16, 2006 8:12 PM
yeah i was skeptical about the sanding the paint part, and right now i'm on a tight budget and cant really see myself spending the $9 on that 3m stuff and was wondering how much i would miss it if i didnt use it

Sunday, April 16, 2006 8:57 PM
i HIGHLY recommend the 3m abrasion remover ...i didnt use the polisher..but to be COMPLETLY honest with you i dont see this turning out well without the 3m abrasion remover...i tried it without it on my center consol...didnt turn out very smooth or glossy...but after you sand down the paint with some 1500 and rub some 3m on it you see an IMMEDIATE improvment! makes the whole thing turn out so smooth and reflective!

Sunday, April 16, 2006 9:43 PM
AWESOME, ill try that to-morrow
hope it turns out good.
i also need some more sand paper
i go through that stuff like crazy (no one cares, i know)

Monday, April 17, 2006 5:05 AM
Scott: Glad I could help. Def post up some pics when your done!

Hrothgar wrote:yeah i just pulled out the plastic piece that surrounds the fuse panel and the passenger side piece and am trying this out, i'm kinda having a rough time with the primering stage but i think it will come together here.

what happens if you dont use the 3M stuff?

i pulled it out, sanded it with course, then worked to finer, cleaned it a few times, sanded even finer, then cleaned and then primered, and i had some real problems with it looking coarse. any suggestions? just sand it with some fine sandpaper and keep hitting it with the primer or what?

yeah i was skeptical about the sanding the paint part, and right now i'm on a tight budget and cant really see myself spending the $9 on that 3m stuff and was wondering how much i would miss it if i didnt use it

If it looks course, you either...
1. Didn't sand it well enough.
2. Have lots of dust and other debrie in it.

If you are using filler primer, you should be able to spray it in to fill the cracks, then sand it down to be smooth. At this point, I'd suggest prime it a few times then sand it. It should come out smooth.

As far as the 3M stuff, if you are talking about the rubbing compound and shine restorer... you definatly need to pick these up. They will cost you $14 for both, but they will last you the entire project.

The rubbing compound removes 1500 or finer grits. When they are both used, your project will go from hazzy to very glossy and smooth. The finish Restorer will add to this gloss signifigantly. It will take your piece from looking like this...

to this

Wide Body Progress

Monday, April 17, 2006 6:32 AM
okay so that fuse panel was just the clear coat?

and then the second picture was the rubbing compound and the shine restorer?

Monday, April 17, 2006 7:37 AM
Hey Tom this write up is great. Im doing this in my car right now and Im about to start the DashBoard but I have a question, do I really need to have it in my car while glassin or can I do it outside of my car? Also Im wonder if it would flex or bend if I do it out of the car. I have done fiberglass peices before but this will be the first time I mess with the dash. Thanks

(I already know ill have to drill alot of small holes in it)

Monday, April 17, 2006 9:10 AM
Hrothgar wrote:okay so that fuse panel was just the clear coat?

and then the second picture was the rubbing compound and the shine restorer?

The fuse panel is the clear coat once it was sanded. The second picture is after using rubbing compound and shine restorer. Big difference.

BubbaKnoxz wrote:Hey Tom this write up is great. Im doing this in my car right now and Im about to start the DashBoard but I have a question, do I really need to have it in my car while glassin or can I do it outside of my car? Also Im wonder if it would flex or bend if I do it out of the car. I have done fiberglass peices before but this will be the first time I mess with the dash. Thanks

(I already know ill have to drill alot of small holes in it)

Thanks man. I have not done my dash yet. I am waiting to either get another car first, or an extra dash. But from what other people have said, if you are not adding anything to the dash, but simply painting it, you can tear the vinyl off and sand the the plastic underneath like normal. If you choose to fiberglass it, I would suggest taking it out of the car. I do not know how you would be able to fiberglass it while in the car, let alone sanding and all.

If you choose to fiberglass it, yes you will tear off the vinyl and drill a bunch of small holes. Then you will fiberglass the back of it, then the front so that the resin has something to stick to. Once you do this, I would suggest letting it dry slighty so that it does not drip, and resintalling it in the car to fully cure. Otherwise, the piece will shrink once the resin dries, and it will not fit right. When you reinstall it, I would suggest covering up anything that you do not want to get resin on or ruined. I also would not suggest driving the car with the dash in. Resin fumes are not good for your health.

Be on the lookout for my fiberglassing tutorial. It should be out in a few weeks (I hope).

Good luck.

Wide Body Progress

Monday, April 17, 2006 9:21 AM
* i vote slimmatic jbo interior president!

Monday, April 17, 2006 12:25 PM
okay thanks d00d

i got the sanding thing down now, i just hit it with some light light light sandpaper and then shot the hell out of it with the primer. looks damn good now and soo i'll hit it with the paint. thanks for the help i'll post up questions if i have any more and i'll post pics up when i get it done.

Monday, April 17, 2006 12:46 PM
wow ure carpets dirty as hell slimmatic
lol
jk man

Monday, April 17, 2006 1:31 PM
Brandon Crawford wrote:wow ure carpets dirty as hell slimmatic
lol
jk man

in the car or house? either way, they are

car carpets are dirty cuz of the weather... house carpets are dirty cuz its a pos apartment that we rent while im at school... but only gotta live here for 1 more month

either way they are gross

Wide Body Progress

Monday, April 17, 2006 4:47 PM
if your doing the dash in the fires your going to have to fiberglass. when you pull the vinyl off you lose about 1/4" of thickness to it and it will look very out of place if you jus painted that piece. you'd also probalby have issues with the vents not sitting in place snugly and other issues such as the airbag cover.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, April 17, 2006 6:58 PM
yeah, i was talkin about the car,
i vacuum mine out like every three days...
im obsessed with keepin my car clean
dont mind me lol
anyway, i got turtle wax rubbing compound instead of 3m
no difference right?

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 6:37 AM
Yea, should do the same thing.

Wide Body Progress

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search