HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics) - Page 5 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Tuesday, April 18, 2006 4:14 PM
ok i think i found my problem....its the clear coat...i used duplicolor clear enamel...its not the "truck,van,suv" kind but same brand none the less so youd think it would work..maybe im putting it on a bit thick but i know i have to put it on EVENLY and if i try to put it on evenly it goes on as a white haze and just shrivils up...dont that suck

Saturday, April 22, 2006 8:58 AM
UPDATE ...use ONLY the brand and type of paint described in the instructions!! the other kind (even same brand name) just doesnt work..i had to start over

Saturday, April 22, 2006 10:32 AM
thats why id only do one small peice, see how it turns out, then take on the rest of what ure painting, but thats just me

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 5:08 PM
Hope you don't mind Tom...I made a copy of this great How-To for my AveoClub forum...

Great write up man!!

My Car Domain
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 6:09 PM
White Raven (Ryan L.) wrote:Hope you don't mind Tom...I made a copy of this great How-To for my AveoClub forum...

Great write up man!!

Not a problem at all man. Thats what I made it for.

Wide Body Progress

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 7:48 PM
hey tom, everything is coming together now and so far i've repainted my center console, my defrost vent, that long piece in front of the window vent and the two pieces on the side of the dash that come off and all have turned out amazingly well. i'll post up more pictures when i get a few more bigger pieces painted.

only problem i ran into was when i was sanding my center console it ripped up the edges pretty bad, so now i kinda want to rip off that padding and do it again cause some of it is bad, any ideas on how to fix it?

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 8:01 PM
Hrothgar wrote:hey tom, everything is coming together now and so far i've repainted my center console, my defrost vent, that long piece in front of the window vent and the two pieces on the side of the dash that come off and all have turned out amazingly well. i'll post up more pictures when i get a few more bigger pieces painted.

only problem i ran into was when i was sanding my center console it ripped up the edges pretty bad, so now i kinda want to rip off that padding and do it again cause some of it is bad, any ideas on how to fix it?

Got any pics? I'm having a hard time picturing what your talking about.

Wide Body Progress

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:04 PM
i simply re-vinyled the armrest cus its more comfortable and i dont have to worry about damaging it...the rest i did according to instructions and so far its turned out GREAT ..i mean PERFECT ...i need to take pics of this stuff..ive got the dash bezel and the center consol finished and looking great..im still working on the rear seat side panels...their really big

Friday, April 28, 2006 8:51 PM
SliMMaTiC (Tom Sylvester) wrote:
Hrothgar wrote:hey tom, everything is coming together now and so far i've repainted my center console, my defrost vent, that long piece in front of the window vent and the two pieces on the side of the dash that come off and all have turned out amazingly well. i'll post up more pictures when i get a few more bigger pieces painted.

Got any pics? I'm having a hard time picturing what your talking about.

^^thats what i'm talking about..

here are some other pics of my painting process...

in this pic if you look on the curb you can see how shiney the armrest is, that pic did some justice

not showing it's true shine, but wow it is nice

thats all for now, right now i'm primering the whole center console, dont flame my interior too much

Monday, May 01, 2006 11:15 AM
That's looking pretty good! I need to find more time to get to work on mine. I've started the inner side mirrors and they're at the point they need to be primered and I have the piece surrounding the stereo and HVAC started, but it's tough getting all the little edges. Can't wait to pick up some more pieces from the wreckers.
Monday, May 01, 2006 7:22 PM
^^thanks man, i was kinda wondering why nobody had commented, i was thinking i didnt do a very good job

yeah i only had the armrest, the dash bolts cover thinger, the defrost vent, the fusepanel piece and the passenger side piece painted the color i wanted, those other painted pieces are from awhile ago and are all sanded down right now.

i stayed up til 3 in the morning last night finishing up the center console and i put that in and put the armrest back on and it's looking tits right meow.

i'll post more as i get more things painted and installed.

Monday, May 01, 2006 9:14 PM
lookin good..ive got my whole center console done but its not in yet cus i have brand new carpet to put in first..i did the whole console except the armrest which i re-wraped in black vinyl cus its easier on the elbow and my harness belt kept chipping the paint on it ...other than that ill probably post pics when my rear panels are finished...which should be in the next couple days....LATE

Monday, May 01, 2006 10:43 PM
its a great write up, now someone just needs to do a write up on a hvlp setup and some fiber glass work........ hmmmm too bad i already did mine, the only thing i had a problem with was the vents, they are a real pain in the azz to take apart, paint, put back together and still have them be functional, so i opted to ditch the middle two and install 3 gauge pods for 2 1/16" gauges, this currently holds a few of my autometer nexus line up.
any ways, great write up deffinatly got vote for sticky

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:34 PM
allright im in the middle of takin peices out and sandin em down, gettin ready for painting
nebody know how to get that front dash peice out (the one right against the window the peice that always cracks)

Friday, May 05, 2006 5:23 PM
heres a pic of how my dash bezel turned out...it isnt even waxed yet..nor is the vents installed but you can see how nice and glossy the paint turned out ..im SO pleased with how it looks i just wanna say thanks again and ill show you the rest soon since ive decided to do my WHOLE interior like this

Monday, May 08, 2006 6:52 AM
allright, im in trouble here cuz im doin silver... and its hard as f#ck to get it to look unifrom when you sand it down with the 2000 grit before using the rubbing compound... any advice...?

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:11 PM
well heres mine..sorta..pics arnt that great and the arm rest i re-wraped in new black vinyl cus i kept chipping the paint with the seatbelt best is a decent pic of how glossy and nice my center console turned out thanks again!!!

here is another just to show how mirrored it is..its veryyyy dusty in my garage cus of my wood cutting prodject but if you look at the clean parts you can tell how nice it turned out!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:18 PM
Quick question. How did you guys paint around the fuzzy stuff that is where the ebrake handle is and the shifter on an auto. I am thinking that if you got paint on them they would look like crap. Suggestions??
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:42 AM
Quote:

How did you guys paint around the fuzzy stuff

if you look at the pics above of my console the fuzzy stuff IS painted..i simply sprayed it and didnt really do much too it and it can out the same as it was before i started lol just alittle darker hehe

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 10:23 AM
scott

your missing a cup holder

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 10:27 AM
Mesra: Looks good man. Glad it came out so well.

Brandon: Umm, nothing I can think of but to keep workin it. Just know it will all be worth it when it's over.

Scott: Turned out great man!

Wide Body Progress

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 5:07 PM
Quote:

your missing a cup holder

?? how could i be missing a cup holder?? they are molded into the freakin console lol i think your talking about the spot were my window switches go....??? well even thought the console is in the garage i still need the switches IN the car so i can roll down my windows in my NON AC cav

Dash
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:27 AM
I have a 99 cavalier i'm currently repainting. Is it ok to sand down the very "pores" dash...? its vary soft, and does not absorb paint well.... so its hard to keep its texture, and now i want to go for the glossy look...
so will sanding it ruin the fabric?
Re: Dash
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 11:21 AM
oh and does any one have any suggestions for what colors i should use on my interior for my cav?
Re: Dash
Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:55 AM
you cant sand vinyl

thats prolly why you got rips on your console lid.....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search