Little Old Lady Made a Left Into Me While I was Passing - Jacked / Wrecked / Sold Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Little Old Lady Made a Left Into Me While I was Passing
Thursday, March 14, 2019 11:12 AM
My 2001 Z24 Coupe is mechanically perfect from the windshield back, but most of the sheet metal forward of that is not. Recent 100k timing belt etc. Brand new brakes, rotors and other.
No leaks of anything. I was passing a car doing only 20 mph, and I was doing about 30 on a two lane road. She decided to turn left right in front of me, despite the fact I had double flashed my headlights, used my turn signal etc.
No injuries, or air bags. She told me it was her fault, but her insurance company (AARP) told me to @!#$ off.
Now what? If I can't get the other driver to cough up the repairs, does anybody want a project ? I don't have time to do it justice.

Re: Little Old Lady Made a Left Into Me While I was Passing
Friday, March 29, 2019 7:52 PM
Question to the group:

I have looked for a replacement Z24 and have not found a single coupe with a 5 speed for sale !
There are lots of cars, not that many Z24's for sale, even some halfway decent convertibles, but NO 5SPEED'S.

My question is, how many manual transmission Z24's were made over the years? Do I have a wrecked, but very rare model on my hands?
Thanks for any feedback.

Steve B. Whidbey Island WA
Sunday, June 09, 2019 8:57 PM
After getting completely screwed by the old lady's insurance company, I decided to fix it myself. I've got a recently retired neighbor who volunteered to help me pull the front end straight by hooking up his big 4WD diesel pickup truck to the car's front bumper (sans the cover). We hooked up chains to the subframe on one side, hooked it to a couple of pickup trucks in series with all wheels chocked. After several tries, it's almost straight. I still have a couple of pulls on the upper frame which holds the fenders.
If I'm successful with will still be my daily driver, but in the meantime I purchased a 2000 Z24 convertible with less than 60 k on the clock. A one owner, always garaged.

Wish me luck with the coupe !
Attachments
1210x-.jpg (84k)

Saturday, August 17, 2019 10:37 AM
Sorry to hear this happened to you. I had to sell my Z24 5 speed with sun roof....really wish I had a garage for her.

Nice convertible Z24! Is it 5 speed? Do they make them in 5 speed?

GMR has got nothing on this
Sunday, August 18, 2019 9:04 PM
Tranny is a 4 speed.
I have to admit, it's pretty good for an automatic. It shifts exactly when I would have been shifting if it had been a stick.
From what I've read, the standard automatic in a cavalier is a 3 speed and only the Z24 has a 4 speed.

BTW, I just completed repairing the coupe. It's not showroom perfect, but you have to look closely to see it's been in a fight.
I got bupkis from the old lady's insurance, but it's going to be my winter time car and the convertible will live in the garage and be the "nice weather" car.
As we only have a single garage space, the wife's Chrysler 300M is consigned to the driveway.
Thursday, January 16, 2020 8:55 PM

I have decided to keep both Z 24's, the Coupe will be my winter car and the convertible will be for nice days with the top down.
After finding out how rare it is to have a 5 speed manual in a Z24, it was the deciding factor for me.
The coupe is back on the road. It just had too much going for it not to keep it. It has the best stock radio, the power sunroof, a new cat converter, brakes etc The engine runs like new, no rattles or rust so it seemed like a no brainer to fix it.
Both cars are mechanically in good shape, but the coupe is definitely zoomier than the automatic equipped convertible.

If I decide at some point to sell either car I will post here first.

Steve
Sunday, February 09, 2020 9:52 AM
I never thought I would do this, but have changed my mind about having three cars for two people.

My wife is keeping her Chrysler 300M (she won't drive a stick) and I'm going to keep the convertible in the 1 car garage.

I just can't justify keeping and insuring two cars for myself when I drive only about 2,000 miles a year.

If anyone is interested in a 2001 Z 24 with all options and a 5 speed manual, let me know.

senormechanico at yahoo dot com
Wednesday, February 26, 2020 9:06 AM
bump.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search