My 1st Projector Retrofit (05 cavalier) - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My 1st Projector Retrofit (05 cavalier)
Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:45 AM
I know there is not too much traffic here these days, but i personally enjoy seeing the sporadic updates, so i figured i share my recent project. I completed these over a 3 day period last week and just put them on the car yesterday. Feel free to follow the link at the bottom for pics. I will work on getting them posted into the thread to save you some clicks....now onto the details.

I bought a new set of amber corner headlights off ebay for $62. I picked up some Ni-light Mini MH1 projectors from Amazon with shrouds for $21. I picked up a xentec 35watt slim ballast hid kit along with 6000k bulbs from a seller on ebay, and then ordered an HID relay harness to ensure the system fires up each time. Outside of the items i purchased, i used my dremel with small cutoff wheel and a drill bit to make holes for the wires to run through, some zip ties to mount the ballasts, gloves to avoid smudges and prints, and pliers to tighten the lock on the back of the projector.

This was a pretty straight forward install with only minor modification to the headlight. The steps are as follows:

Re: My 1st Projector Retrofit (05 cavalier)
Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:59 AM
I accidentally hit the tab button and posted that first part of my entry...sorry about that. Anywhoo...Set your oven for 250 degrees and bake for 10-15 minutes at a time until you are able to pry the headlight open. It may not move at first, but will eventually give way. After opening the headlight, i attempted to test fit the projector and noticed there was not enough room on the backside to use the projector lock, so i had to cut off the 9007 bulb mount holder. After cutting the holder i was able to add the silicone, the washer, and the lock in order to mount the projector. Next, verify the lens will fit and push into place, and is not obstructed by your shroud. If everything fits, you can pull the cover off and test the projector to determine your horizontal rotation. When you are finished, put the headlight back together and place it back in the oven for another 10-15 mins. When you take it out, press the headlight together and hold for a few hours until the glue cools completely. I purchased clamps from Harbor Freight for like $12 that worked perfect. Now, just install your lights, wipe them down, and enjoy.

Obviously i skipped over lots of details, so feel free to ask specific questions or provide input. I am currently designing my 2nd retro as this was a basic drop in that i performed for practice. This next one will have sequential turn signals, cobb halos, possibly led strips, in addition to an led demon eye and modded shield. When i finish my next project this set will be up for sale if anyone is interested. Thanks for looking!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AeegdpEy7gkmvfWCA
Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:42 PM
Nice job. I would like to do this to mine too but am scared to screw it up. Jus recently purchased the tinted version of the headlights for mine. Got a set of 55watt hids but afraid to melt them. Do the projectors have any issues with heat? I melted my fogs runnin 35 watt hids in them

ReD RaiN
Thursday, August 15, 2019 11:33 AM
I did quite a bit of research over the last year before finally jumping in, and if you want to run 55watt hids, i would recommend an OEM or more robust aftermarket projector. It is well documented that most Mini MH1 style projectors will not hold up well to 55watt hid systems over time. Honestly the hardest part about the whole process is just opening the headlights and then ensuring you seal them back up well. Check out HID Planet or the Retrofit source website for info on choosing a projector that will allow you to run higher wattage equipment.

BTW, i should have output shots up soon as well.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search