Lordstown Assembly closes today. - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lordstown Assembly closes today.
Wednesday, March 06, 2019 7:39 AM
The Lordstown Assembly plant, where J-bodies were made, along with the Cobalt, G5, Ion And Chevy Cruze, closes today. The last Chevy Cruze is already on the line. Thought I’d make a post about this because it’s the end of an era. RIP Lordstown. F.

Re: Lordstown Assembly closes today.
Wednesday, March 06, 2019 7:44 AM
Sorry to double post, but this also means that J-body replacement parts might be going away too near the end of the month. The Lordstown plant makes new replacement fenders, doors, etc. for the Cav and Sunfire, so unless they switch production to another plant, new body parts for J-bodies will get rarer and rarer.
Wednesday, March 06, 2019 11:43 AM
The Lordstown Assembly plant opened in 1966 making Chevy's large sedans; Caprice, Impala, Belair & Biscayne and the Pontiac Firebird till 1970.

Then it was retooled for the Chevy Vega and GM vans, the vans remained in production there till 1994.

After the Vega was cancelled in 1977 they moved production of the H body cars to Lordstown; Buick Skyhawk, Chevy Monza, Oldsmobile Starfire & Pontiac Sunbird.

Then in 1982 J body cars from every North American GM brand were made there, from 1982-1994 more than 3.7 million vehicles were produced.

After the Jbody's production ended the Delta platform came the Chevy Cobalt & Pontiac G4 G5 Pursuit till 2010.

Then the Chevy Cruze started production in 2011, Sales of the Cruze were good at first, even surpassing the Honda Civic for a year but eventually due to low gas prices and GM marketing pushing more profitable SUV's Cruze sales dropped to where there was no need for a 3rd shift at the plant again and soon after the 2nd shift got laid off. 2018 being the worst with just 142,617 sold while the Civic sold over double that figure.

I hope GM moves another vehicle there but it looks doubtful since the plant is over 60 years old.

Sunday, March 10, 2019 7:06 PM
If GM keeps ownership of the plant and maintains it, (meaning not letting it fall apart) I'm guessing that the next time gas goes up to 4 bucks a gallon and people quit buying SUV's, which is what happened during the recession, people will want small fuel-efficient cars again, and GM will open the plant again to make another small car. And I'm betting that the name of it will start with a C. (Chevette, Cavalier, Cobalt, Cruze.)
Saturday, March 16, 2019 9:06 AM
Sad to hear that. How many people did it put out of work?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search