Fuel injector change 1990 z24q - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuel injector change 1990 z24q
Monday, July 06, 2020 5:24 PM
I'll start off by saying I'm fairly new to car maintenance, I know what each part generally does but I don't know the specifics. I watched a video on how to replace fuel injectors for a 90s Toyota and it looked fairly simple, just pop off the fuel rail and switch the injectors. On my 90 z24 I think I found the fuel rail at the top back of the engine, looks like I'll need to take off the top plate of the engine.

Can anyone tell me if this is an easy fix with cavaliers? Or should someone of my low skill level probably go find someone who knows what they're talking about? And also can you confirm that the fuel rail is at the top back of the engine underneath that engine plate?

Re: Fuel injector change 1990 z24q
Monday, July 06, 2020 6:07 PM
Do you have a factory service manual?
Wednesday, July 08, 2020 10:51 AM
I don't have one
Wednesday, July 08, 2020 11:28 AM
Watch this video as it will be pretty helpful. It is a 3100 and is very similar to your 3.1L. It will give you some idea of what you'll be doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtfdngoYW8M&t=542s

There are plastic vacuum lines that run from the top of the throttle body down under the plenum. Be very careful not to snap those lines.
Take picture of things BEFORE you remove them. If you run into any problems, upload a picture(s) of the issue you have run into. This will be a big help with trying to walk you through it.

I'll get you some pictures from my manual if you run into a problem. I don't have the 1990 book, but will get them from the 1988 and 92 books, based on what you post a picture of where you are stuck.
The procedure is basically identical between 1988 - 1994. A couple things were moved (MAP sensor being one). Just little things like that. It is not hard to do and not a lot of stuff needs to be taken off. I'll be sure to get the torque specs page for it too, when you are ready to put everything back together.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search