Ecotec Valve Cover Bolts - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec Valve Cover Bolts
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 12:36 PM
Anyone know the thread and pitch of the bolts? I snapped one off in the head and need to drill it out and tap it, hoping to find something close I can match it up with.

Re: Ecotec Valve Cover Bolts
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:09 PM
of the top of my head i think its a 4mm, try an easy out before you drill the whole thing out, i did the same thing and all i ended up have to do was drill down a bit, when i reversed my drill it spun it back out enough that i could grab it with the needle nose and turn it the rest of the way, i was all ready the the easy out though.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:20 PM
Yeah i think I'm gonna go grab a cheap set of extractors just to give a shot first. Really hoping I can grab it out

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:40 PM
They are M6x1

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 4:44 PM
Awesome, thanks a lot Tinkles

Saturday, March 12, 2011 8:35 AM
Alright I got the old snapped one off. Does the washer/grommet come off the old ones? Anyone know if they sell these by a pack or you can buy singles from GM?

Saturday, March 12, 2011 12:49 PM
yeah you can tap it right out with a punch of a nail, it wont screw out, then just tap a new one in. they come in a set as far as i know, the grommets come in the valve cover seal kit, ouch.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:26 AM
Decided to replace my valve cover gasket. I want to buy some chrome bolts to match the chromed out valve cover. However, the stock grommets have a small washer, the FELPRO gasket replacement does not come with these small washers!! The washer is located at the bottom of the grommet. I will re-use these washers, just have to get them off the bolts. What do you guys think? Do I need to use the washers?

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Sunday, July 10, 2011 8:44 AM
yeah you'll need the washers, clean them off real good, hit with some alcohol to get the oil from your finger off, and paint them with either regular silver or chrome bumper paint. as for the bolts stainless might be the way to go. I was thinking of doing that with allen head bolts.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 4:53 PM
That's what I figured. Thanks Cinny. Looking for the bolts. Advanced didn't have enough.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 5:14 PM
Is it M6 X 1 X 35? Do I need to have the same bolt as stock (that contains a lip so the washer does not come off)? Its like half threaded.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:27 PM
if it was me I'd put them in the drill press and drill it out a 1/16 over the size on the hole so they would slide on easy and not damage the threads. if you don't have a drill press with a vise, find a friend to help you out. if for some reason you decide to try and do this with a hand drill, which I can't recommend, please wear heavy gloves and hold the part with locking pliers. another idea would be to use a smaller than the hole drill bit and tape some med grit sand paper on it in the direction rotation, so it works like a flap wheel. again use protection.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:58 AM
Thanks but lacking in tools. Ill hit up Napa for the hex bolts. I managed to get some washers off the old bolts. Will see if Napa sells the washers too!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:28 PM
take 2 boards space them so the bolt will go through but the washer won't, turn the bolt upside down and "tap" it through, should pop em right out for you.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:14 AM
I was going to do that same thing. Thanks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search