Idle issue - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Idle issue
Monday, March 07, 2011 6:26 PM
Been having this issue for awhile, but I think it may be getting worse. When my car is idling, every 20 seconds or so it makes three short weird noises (like a rumble? not sure how to explain the sound) and the rpms go down just a little bit. On occasion, when it happens all the lights get dim when the rpms go down a bit. Any help is Appreciated!

Re: Idle issue
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 6:52 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is that the serpentine belt may be slipping. Does it get worse when you turn on the a/c? Does it do it in park and drive? Does it do it if you keep the rpms up?

2.2 97 Cavalier......the "Crapalier"
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:43 PM
I would pull ur IAC and give that a good cleaning also. those are known the get gunked up and cause stupid issues.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:18 PM
Masintenn - It does it in park as well as in drive, Im not to sure if gets worse with the a/c. I havnt noticed it when i had the rpms higher, but i could be mistaken

Mike- I will try and take a look at that tonight.

Thanks guys.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 4:17 PM
Ok, so Im positive it is my IAC, and it is in bad shape. So i am going to replace it, any tips on removing it, etc.?

Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:29 AM
Back from the dead... but my car is still doing this. Could it be something regarding the tensioner/ timing chain? or possible O2 sensor?

Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:02 AM
What have you checked/done so far? I personally don't believe it is a chain issue or a 02 sensor issue. I would check to see what your charging system is putting out when this happens.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:31 PM
I had an idle issue that was due to a bad plug that wasn't even a year old. Replaced with Delco's and problem solved.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:32 PM
Also check / replace your plug wires.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:43 PM
The first thing to try is the IAC.The plastic black box that is on top of your throttle body has a hose clamp around the throttle body, loosen it, then the big hose that comes from the air filter loosen the clamp closest passenger side, then pull the hose off coming from the valve cover. Lift the black box off the throttle body and set on valve cover, There are two sensors on the throttle body, The IAC is closest to the firewall and has 1 torx screw. Take out the screw and gently pry the IAC out, it is held in with an o ring, it will have a black plunger on the end. Clean the end of the plunger and the passageway and see if that helps. That used to fix all my idle problems before this latest one.
Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:48 PM
All I have done is replace the IAC, it was in bad shape.... once i get a chance ill check the plugs, and charging system to start off with.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search