aftermarket stereo radio controls - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
aftermarket stereo radio controls
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 11:27 AM
I put in a sony head unit just after christmas and i do have steering wheel controls. I know to get them to work you should get the module but i dont see me spending 60 or whatever it is for the module.

here is my possible solution. I was think about mounting the remote on the back of the steering wheel and hard wiring it to the wheel controls.

this is the remote.

and here is the steering wheel

Just wanted to poke the bear a little and see if anyone has attempted this before or can give me some advice. i do have some experience in wiring. I am also going to school to become a tech so i have some mechanical know how

Re: aftermarket stereo radio controls
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 11:41 AM
Wouldn't work, you need to have a clear line of sight from the remote's LED to the radio.

---

I've been working on plans for something similar this. Already have a working circuit, just need to implement it.

Basically I took two remotes for the same deck, tore the apart and isolated the buttons I want to each side of the steering wheel. I'll have to build 'paddles' for the buttons to be on, they will be battery powered. It's hard to source nice looking buttons. Also attaching it to the wheel will probably require me to temporarily remove the steering wheel.

Re: aftermarket stereo radio controls
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 12:09 PM
alright thanks for that. i would still like to do some testing on this as i never use my remote so if i wreck it trying something out or wreck the controls on the steering wheel it doesn't matter as they dont work anyway
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search