monsoon/bose radio in a cavalier? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
monsoon/bose radio in a cavalier?
Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:58 PM
I was just wondering if I could put a monsoon radio from a sunfire/grand am or bose radio from an grand prix in my base cavalier? I have an aftermarket alpine amp and pioneer rear speakers. Thanks.

-2000 cavalier 2.2l 3 speed base sedan silver
-U.S.A Love it or leave it

Re: monsoon/bose radio in a cavalier?
Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:59 PM
Why?

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:32 PM
Well I got this alpine head unit, the alpine amp, and pioneer 6x9's for free. the alpine head unit was working when I ran all of the wires and everything sounded good. But when I tried intalling the radio it didnt work anymore. I went through all of the connections and it still doesnt work. I think the radio gave out or something. The radio doesnt light up and there is no sound now. Its like its not getting power but I have used good power and negative wires and still nothing. I cant figure it out. The speaker wires on the back of the radio dont work at all so the amp was needed to make the speakers work.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:42 PM
the internal amp is blown. So I am assuming this is an issue because you want to just run factory speakers off the regular head unit speaker wires?

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:54 PM
So has the headunit worked at all when you had it wired into your cav? Or did it just work outside of your car? JL could be right about the internal amp being blown, but if you were powering the speakers though the alpine amp then I dont think the internal amp would even be used. JL without a doubt knows more than me though. Do you have your headunit wired up to a switched 12v power source like the windshield wiper circuit? When I first did my install I had that portion wired wrong and my headunit would not turn on at all like yours is doing now. Added one of these and everything worked perfectly. Just another idea I thought I would throw out there since it could be easily overlooked.

Dave

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:05 PM
I guess it doesnt really matter to me just as long as I can get sound, I was using the rca outputs in the back of the radio. Would the internal amp being blown. Have anything to do with why the radio wont turn on? Is this radio totally gone do you think? I have the two factory front speakers and the pioneer 6x9's in the back.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:08 PM
So it worked outside of you car, but when you wired it into you car is when it stopped working? I could be wrong but I dont think the internal amp being blown would cause the headunit to be unable to turn on.

Dave

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:34 PM
It worked in my car too. I had wired it up and tested it before I fully installed the radio and it worked. But when I unhooked the harness from the back of the radio and removed the bezle around the radio and speedo to install the radio, and fully installed the radio it didnt work. I ran a wire with a 5 amp fuse directly to the battery for constant power. This way all I have to do is shut the radio off manually. That was the simplest solution I could think of. Setting up an aftermarket radio like this in my mustang worked out pretty good. Is my fuse not big enough?

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:49 PM
you put a 5amp fuse for your aftermarket radio? doesnt it have it own fuse?

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:14 PM
he ran a wire directly from the battery, through the firewall, through the dash, to the stereo. Fusing that wire is to protect the wire/car/driver, not the stereo. Any time you are running a long wire from the battery directly, you fuse it. He was smart in fusing the wire.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:18 PM
ah got it.. what about the 12v switch?

Friday, March 11, 2011 4:42 AM
has he checked the fuse. arnt most radio fuses in the 10-15 amp range. a 5 amp one may have blown.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, March 11, 2011 6:17 AM
sndsgood wrote:has he checked the fuse. arnt most radio fuses in the 10-15 amp range. a 5 amp one may have blown.

Check that fuse lol

Dave

Friday, March 11, 2011 6:46 AM
he ment the 5amp fuse you used for the battery,

Friday, March 11, 2011 1:58 PM
??? I didnt use a 5 amp fuse, the topic creator did.

Dave

Friday, March 11, 2011 6:01 PM
I checked the fuse and its still good. But I tried connecting the yellow wire and red wire from the radio to the wire going to the battery, it works now. But if I turn the volume up past 10 it cuts out for about a second when it hits the deep base notes. Any ideas of what would cause this. It seems like its one thing after another with this radio.

Sunday, March 13, 2011 5:30 PM
Gonna say check your ground.

If you have access to a voltmeter or a multimeter check the voltage between yellow and black at the different volume levels. Make sure you have >11v always.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search