Head unit turns off once I start my car - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Head unit turns off once I start my car
Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:42 AM
I have a Pioneer CD player in my 04 Sun fire. And I have a Scosche wire harness with the door chime module. I can turn the key on and the CD player with power up, play music and everything. But once I start the car it will only stay on for a few seconds then turn off. Another factor is it only does it when its cold. I can let the car warm up, turn the car off, restart it and the CD player will work. Anyone else have this happen? I don't really know what else to check. I know its not my CD player, or any wiring. I thought it was the door chime module, so I replaced it, and it still doesn't work.

Re: Head unit turns off once I start my car
Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:15 PM
I've heard horror stories about those modules in cold weather. Might be worth taking it in and getting a new one.

Friday, November 19, 2010 10:12 AM
I've already replaced that module though, and it still does it. I guess they're junk new or used. Might be time for a whole new car lol.
Friday, November 19, 2010 12:59 PM
Do me a favour.

Disconnect the red wire from the module to the deck.

Now take the red wire on the DECK side of the cut and tie it on to the yellow wire. This will make the deck always on.

Now see if the problem is still present. If it still does it, it's not the module. It's something in the wiring, or the deck itself.

Monday, February 21, 2011 7:17 PM
So you're saying this:

Deck Red -> Module Yellow

You say it's always on, do you imply that it will not shut off when the car shuts off?

Because i am having the same problem. I thought it was my head unit, did another install of a new one different manufacturer and everything, same problem.
Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:18 AM
If I were you ditch the module. And just get the harness for it. You will lose you door chime but who cares. And no it will not affect your air bag. With the harness you will just need to run a accessory wire. Which you can get at the fuse box or you can tap into the main vehicle harness for that. Use the brown or orange wire and a 15 amp fuse.
Saturday, February 26, 2011 3:43 PM
To clarify this:

Connecting the DECK RED -> MODULE YELLOW does in fact fix the problem, and does leave the unit on at ALL times. Even with the car off with no keys the unit will stay on. So by doing this, you just need to manually shut off the unit and turn it on again when you need it. Allows you to keep the chimes and fix the problem though
Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:26 PM
I have the exact same problem with the same module. It also occurs exactly how you described it.
Saturday, March 12, 2011 7:54 PM
x I Got Mail x wrote:To clarify this:

Connecting the DECK RED -> MODULE YELLOW does in fact fix the problem, and does leave the unit on at ALL times. Even with the car off with no keys the unit will stay on. So by doing this, you just need to manually shut off the unit and turn it on again when you need it. Allows you to keep the chimes and fix the problem though

You can extend the DECK RED wire and connect it to some other accessory source in the vehicle. For instance, get a "fuse tap" and tap the red wire into the windshield wiper fuse. Then it will turn on and off with the key.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 7:54 PM
But to clarify. What we've proven, by doing this 'bypass' is that the module is bad. It's not putting out an accessory signal.

Monday, March 28, 2011 4:51 AM
mine does the same thing only when its cold or when the car sat over the winter and the battery didn't have enough juice to start it other than that though my deck works ok, u could always bypass it to the ignition switch to turn off an on with the car instead of running them together, that way u won't have to remember to turn ur deck off all the time.can't remember what wire it is on the ignition but I kno u run it to the red on the deck side

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search