Electric Guru's (Diodes) - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Electric Guru's (Diodes)
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:44 AM
I know what to use at 13k volts....but 12v is pretty much beyond me haha.

I am trying to use a signal wire to set my horn off with my alarm.

Unfortunately its an enclosed system so I am limited on what I can use.

So heres the Situation

Signal Wire is tapped to Turn Signal System

Use signal wire to trigger relay to trigger horn

Now the problem is when I use the turn signals, the horn is going to honk from reverse feed.

I figure no problem, Wire in a Diode. But what @!#$ Diode do I use for 12volt System.

If anyone knows or has any better ideas, I am all ears.

Re: Electric Guru's (Diodes)
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:49 AM
I use zener diodes on motorcycles all the time at 12v. sometimes if the amperage is a little much for those little zener diodes though i have to switch to a monster rectifier diode that is like 6amp at 50v. but still works fine on a 12v harley system.
you'd be surprised what you can accomplish with diodes

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:15 AM
Sweet, its just powering a couple of small LED's so hopefully a regular one will work. What do you think of the setup? Any ideas?

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:07 AM
Use a relay.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:08 AM
More specifically, a 24v bosch relay (not 12v). So it only switches on when it sees full 12 volts.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:54 AM
Im gunna use a relay...but...huh? whats your idea?

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:52 PM
I see what he did there. If you want your horn to honk with your siren, wire a relay from the siren out of your brain to the horn out, usually accessed from the interior. What vehicle?

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:56 PM
Your alarm doesn't have a separate horn out?

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:01 PM
Oh, I see. I didn't read your first post properly.

I don't think a diode would solve your problem. Perhaps a capacitor on the positive side of the relay?

You would have to select a capacitor so that it wouldn't charge to 6v (relay catch voltage) from the turn signal. Probably something like 4000microFarad, but that's just a guess.
There would likely be a two-or-so second delay before the siren comes on though.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:02 PM
Does the side marker come on constantly, or longer when the alarm is going off? That's the only way I see that being a viable source for siren turnon.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:04 PM
Also, aren't the parking lights going to turn on the siren as well? Or are your signal lights and park lights on a separate circuit?

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:09 PM
No its a motorcycle alarm so no siren output.
Seperate Circuits. When the alarm is activated the turn signals Flash on off on off on off untill deactivated.

So if I put a diode inline between the signal wire on the alarm and the turn signal cicuit then the signal wire would activate the turn signals, but not vice versa...

Hook up my second relay for the horn to the signal wire. So now the signal wire will activate the relay and turn on the horn. But turning on the turn signals while driving wont beep my horn...

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:18 PM
General purpose 1n4005 will work then.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search