Lights dim when I hit the brakes HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lights dim when I hit the brakes HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Friday, April 01, 2011 6:10 PM
So I had some trouble with my 02 cavalier.Yesterday I hit the brakes and all the dash lights like the abs light and brake light came on.I shut the car off and started it back up when I hit the brake pedal to put it back in gear it would not let me shift into drive it was like it was locked up.I shut it off and the problem went away now I have a big problem every time i hit the brakes my cluster goes dim and my radio turns off.I check the tail lights for corrison and all the grounds and made sure the terminals had no corrison.I am completly lost on this one any Ideas I was maybe thinking the alternator is going bad but I really have no clue yet have not had time to take it off and have it tested.Maybe the sensor for the brakes??????Someone please help

Re: Lights dim when I hit the brakes HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Friday, April 01, 2011 7:47 PM
Youre under drawing from the battery. I never had the problem my self but try attaching a 0 gauge wire from the + side of the alternator to the + side of the battery. Then ground the - side to the frame and the engine [2 seperate wires] . This allows you to draw more power from the alt and batt and should be more than enough volts and amps [with minimal resistance] towards your electronics.

I might be 16, but trust dude, i know my @!#$t

http://www.facebook.com/slybai http://www.j-body.com http://www.j-body.org http://www.gmclubofontario.com
Friday, April 01, 2011 8:30 PM
yea its probley your alt or battery id start by having those tested and move on from there
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:28 PM
2Sly wrote:Youre under drawing from the battery. I never had the problem my self but try attaching a 0 gauge wire from the + side of the alternator to the + side of the battery. Then ground the - side to the frame and the engine [2 seperate wires] . This allows you to draw more power from the alt and batt and should be more than enough volts and amps [with minimal resistance] towards your electronics.

I might be 16, but trust dude, i know my @!#$t

Make sure you fuse the Alt-Batt Positive line.

Trust him, kid spells "@!#$" with 5 letters.
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:40 PM
Um howabout keeping it simple and making sure your battery terminals are tightened? Why instruct him to do a big 3 upgrade on stock electrical when he never said he's got a lot of aftermarket draw? I mean, if the electrical is all pretty much stock, the stock wiring will keep up fine. I would start with the simple stuff and pay damn close attention to the battery terminals.

You may say "I might be 16, but trust dude, I know my @!#$". But you don't.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:49 PM
Yeah big 3 should only be a concern if you're pulling >75A with your electrical, which if your car is stock, you should not be.

Check the ground that attaches to the battery tray and make sure it's tight.
Make sure you don't have corrosion on the terminals.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 7:30 AM
x2 on checking the tray ground. All the leaked battery acid, water, dirt etc etc builds up there and can lead to a terrible ground.

Trust me I am an untrained hobbyist. I know what Im doing.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 1:40 PM
TheSundownFire wrote:Trust me I am an untrained hobbyist. I know what Im doing.

i lol'd
Monday, April 11, 2011 7:21 AM
I have come to find out I am undrawing the power from the batt I charged it and it seems to work fine I am going and getting a new cap for the amp and stuff .It was just weird all the light on the dash would come on.Now i have a problem with my radio when I turn it up it shuts off i think its just my head unit.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search