Use the trunk as a ported enclosure - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Use the trunk as a ported enclosure
Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:10 AM
hey, I've been messing with car audio products for more than a few years, have done many kinds of builds, but I've never tried using the trunk of a car as an enclosure. I've read about using it in an infinite baffle install, but haven't seen anything about a ported setup like that. I recently got a RE sx18 and am trying to figure out a way to install it in my 04 cavy without using my backseat area. I was wondering if i was to seal off the trunk completely, besides the trunk lid, use 2 18's mounted to a board where my backseat used to be, seal it off good of course, and have the ports on the same board, would it still perform well and not lose too much sound? The trunk is either 13.2 or 13.6 ft3, and those subs need a box between 5.5 and 8 ft3 a piece. Or i can go with the one 18 i have, and just foam in the sides of the trunk, seal off the spare tire well, and go with a smaller port and the same sub on 1 board, mounted & sealed where the backseat was.

Re: Use the trunk as a ported enclosure
Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:42 AM
Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:05 AM
looks wicked. i was trying to avoid a box like that though. i'm shooting for low 12s or 11s in the 1/4, so i'm not trying to add another 200 lbs to the car. if so i would've kept my 6 jbl p1022's in the back seat. I'm just trying to find a happy medium, keep storage space (where the backseat was), lotta bass, and trying to keep the weight down where i can. The infinite baffle setup would be nice if it can be ported, it would save a lot of weight in mdf. I've just never seen or heard of it being tried.
Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:11 AM
if your shooting for those kind of times, car audio isnt for you. usually those two things dont mix due tot he weight your adding with the subwoofers and such. i would recomend one little 12 in a birch vaneer box, should weigh in close to 60 lbs max...

click sig for my car audio videos
Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:23 AM
this is my first build where i'm trying to keep huge sound while going for speed also. I've got the full engine build and hahn stage 4 kit, and am looking towards 400+whp. the speed isn't a problem at all. i've already got the re sx18d2, jbl gto24001 amp, 3 sets of jbl power series 6.5 components, and gto 1004. i'm just trying build an enclosure as light as i can, if not i'll just take the hit in weight and build a monster box. i'm just looking to find out if a porter infinite baffle trunk setup would work to produce at least a decent amount of bass compared to the 6 jbl 10's i had.
Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:46 AM
having 2 18s and still trying to hit 12s and have trunk space its not goona work your gonna have to pick one of the 3
Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:34 AM
i know 2 18's would be excessive, it was just one of the ideas. I would rather just stick to using 1 18, but would like to get the opinions, if any, about porting a baffle, sealing it to the trunk, sealing the trunk itself, and filling in enough space with foam to get it to roughly 8 ft3. would this work or not? i know there has to be a way to have the 18 sounding nice and loud, and keeping weight minimal.
Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:49 PM

your trunk (the subwoofers loading wall per say) will have WAY too much flex due to the subwoofer not being in a box, thus canceling out your subwoofers sound. like wiring a sub out of phase with your 18... bass just wont be there...

click sig for my car audio videos
Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:57 PM
ok. that's what i was trying to get at. I knew there would be some flex, i just didn't know if the port on the baffle would help alleviate some of it or not. i'll probably just end up building a removable box for it then.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search