mono sub amp worth it? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
mono sub amp worth it?
Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:28 PM
I have never had a mono sub amp, but im looking to replace my amp for my type-r. The one i have can be ran at 1 or 4 ohms and im using a 2 channel amp bridged to drive it now.Im running it at a 4 ohm load now because the amp wont handle a 1 ohm load. I have this amp because my old sub ran at 2 ohms and it was perfect for it. Anyways im looking for a new amp and thought about a mono amp, but didn't know if it was a good thing or not. Are they better?More efficient? Also any body ran a hifonics amp? I was looking at a mb quart or hifonics that are both rated at 1000 watts rms.

Re: mono sub amp worth it?
Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:26 PM
Monoblocks tend to be Class D amps, which means they are more efficient but they take a small thi on sound quality. Some say youll hear a difference but I guess its up to the listener. Now if the 2 channel is class A or B youll see a higher amperage draw than with a Class D, which means you can go further with the same electrical system.

Ive always heard that Hifonics amps eat power but they may have improved. Idk for sure. What does the price look like on those two amps?

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:27 PM
meant a small hit.

Damn not being premi anymore.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:15 PM
if those are the 2 options, MBQ. Hifonics are inefficient and over rated. and very cheaply made. god they're chincy piles of plastic crap lol.

Anyway, what's the budget? Maybe there are some options for a reasonably priced mono out there that you haven't come across.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Friday, April 15, 2011 5:32 PM
Probably about $200 to $ 300

Friday, April 15, 2011 7:34 PM
Also , all maxsonics amps are cea certified and my discuss series mbq amp is 3 years old and still going strong. Have u owned or seen one in awhile there quality has improved drastically over the years. Mine is not plasticy it is heavy . Oh well to each their own , i think for the price they are hard to beat.

Friday, April 15, 2011 8:18 PM
not even gonna

Friday, April 15, 2011 11:01 PM
Me either. "Hey I need advice"....."Well the amp you advised against is nice". I'm going to stop giving advice and not even get into the cea crap. Do as you please then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:42 AM

Saturday, April 16, 2011 6:29 PM
What i asked was if a mono sub amp was worth it , not your personal opinion on the amps that i think are good for the price.(my personal opinion). Not everyone can afford or has the need for the most expensive car audio on the planet. I am half deaf in one ear i do not need the best car audio the planet has to offer. Also i listen to music for personal enjoyment when im away from my wife and 3 kids on the 1 hour drive back and forth to work. I do not nor do i plan on competing.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 6:39 PM
besides jl i have noticed that u think anything you dont sell is junk, everytime i see someone post about there stuff u always talk crap about it. I understand promoting your product but to downtalk everybody is ridiculous.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 8:49 PM
1000w on a single type-r is likely going to result in you blowing the speaker.

Here is a 500w Kicker

Even comes with a free 12" CompVR sub & wiring kit that you can sell and make some of your money back on.

09 HHR LS, Wife's Car
05 Cavalier, Clarion DXZ375MP, Autotek MM8000.5 & 13Kv.2, wife's old car, updates coming soon

Saturday, April 16, 2011 8:49 PM
Especially when my buddy clamped a Hifonics HFI2000d and it did 21xx watts clamped, starting at 1ohm nominal rising to 1.7 ohm with a starting voltage of 14.4 and dropping to 13.5...
Monday, April 18, 2011 4:43 AM
1000 watts of bass is problaby why your half death. hi fonics is okay, its not great stuff. hell an hour drive each way you'd think it would be worth it to spend a bit more to get a quality system. i havn't compete in 10 years but i still like my music to sound just as good as if i was competing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, April 18, 2011 6:16 PM
I checked out the hifonics amp today i was looking at ,and holy cow it is cheap cheap cheap. I will not be buying that. Its hard to believe that maxsonics makes mbquart and hifonics because my mbq discuss series amp is 10 times the quality of the hifonics. I guess i will look at the new mbq and compare them to what i have now since they dont make the discuss series anymore. The onyx series looks nice , but we will see. If not then i will look at other mono amps. By the way , just cause im getting a 1000w amp doesent meen im feeding all that power to my type -r even though they have been proven to take it. I only plan on running the amp around half gain.I dont wanna get a small amp and max it out.

Monday, April 18, 2011 7:26 PM
Todd Haworth wrote:besides jl i have noticed that u think anything you dont sell is junk, everytime i see someone post about there stuff u always talk crap about it. I understand promoting your product but to downtalk everybody is ridiculous.

1. It's not personal opinion that Hifonics amps are inefficient, cheaply made, and over rated. It's fact. It's how they are. No one said "I think they stink" we gave FACTS.

2. I do not down talk other 'people's' products. No one else on here has ever suggested something to make a sale at all. I may tell you bad things about certain brands or lines because it has happened, or has been proven, but I never step on someone's toes making a sale. EVER.

3. I DO NOT down talk everything I don't sell. I don't sell JL, I don't sell ID, I don't sell Hybrid, I don't sell Focal, I don't sell Alpine. Need my list to go on? Because those are all brands that I don't have bad things to say about with the exception that I don't have ANY real world experience with Hybrid, and have HEARD that they are a tad over priced and over hyped. I don't know for sure though.

Funny how after you call me and others out on giving opinions rather than advice, you see a Hifonics amp in person and agree it's a cheaply made pile of crap. PEOPLE WHO GIVE ADVICE HERE AREN'T TALKING OUT OUR ASSES, WE HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR A LONG TIME.

I hate to get heated with someone, especially a potential customer of mine, but honestly you DO NOT call me out without knowing the facts. And I DID NOT do any of the @!#$ you claimed to be calling me out on.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:11 AM
lol, i told u jl im a ass. See if you were drinkin you would wanna kick my a** . But seriously i dont know how to do that quote thing, but just look through you own post and u will see what i mean. just like the guy that says he is doing a "real build" , your first comment was about his list of equipment being junk and that you were disapointed.
I think the reason you are getting heated with me is because in a sense me and you are similar people,we both have no problems speaking our minds no matter who it pisses off.
You werent born untill 85 jl your not even that old to be doing this for a long time. I do know the facts i was reading on this forum long before i joined , so i do know how you have talked to people over the years.
like i said i do understand you promoting what you sale , hell all the guys on audio forums do and they pretty much all talk crap about everything ,but what they sale. I do understand that, im a mechanic and i dont think any shop in the town i work on does quality repairs like we do cause i have seen some of the hack jobs that come in from other shops.
Anyways , jl i do appreciate and the help and advise that you contribute to this forum , and i do think you know your stuff, hell alot of you guys know more about this stuff than i do and most are younger than me. That being said you do the stuff i call you out on you just dont like being told so.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:40 AM
jl will talk down on most of the stuff i will talk down on. and it was stuff he was talking down on before he started dealing in audio. deal in the hobby long enough and you find out what is garbage, what is decent and what is great. just the way it is. i wont hesitate to say an audio componet isn' t that good. allot of it comes from me used to being that kid that would go out and buy something cheap thinking i was saving money only to go back and upgrade to something that sounds good. now i only buy quality gear and because of that i dont have to buy new stuff every year because the stuff lasts a long time and sounds great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:09 PM
And on top of that, don't start pulling the age card. Car audio is a major hobby/passion of mine and I've been reading, learning, apprenticing, building, installing, buying, selling since I had a licence. You think age plays a major factor, but when you absolutely love something and give it the time and dedication, you can learn very fast. It's all about what you put into it. Sure 9 years isn't THAT long in the big picture, but 9 years with the mind and effort put forth that I have, it comes quickly. At any rate, you don't have to like me, or buy anything I recommend. Just know, I don't give advice I'm unsure of, I don't mislead people, and I DO NOT EVER sell or recommend junk

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:50 PM

These are the guts from a Hifonics Falcon. There are more on ampguts.com, and more others elsewhere. Disregard the poached resistors and some things you'll notice are:
-The tan resistors. These are low-grade, hobby quality resistors. The reason this is bad is because they have loose tolerances. From the picture, you can see that the actual 'tolerance' color strip on most of the resistors is either silver or gold, which corresponds to 10% and 5% tolerance. The sloppiest tolerances that can be bought.
-The generic capacitors. Again, this is an issue of tolerance. A sure sign of cheap caps is the nickel, or silver colored end.
-The generic potentiometers. Identifiable by the light blue casing, these are more parts that could be bought at radio shack in the hobby section. This is less about tolerance and more about the fact that these have inconsistent and loosely regulated behaviors.

These, and a few other smaller things, contribute to coloring sound, degrading signal, and reducing the lifespan of the amp.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search