New sub and amp - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New sub and amp
Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:26 PM
New system...
kicker 10" L3 in a ported box and JL Audio JX 500/1 I have a Kenwood deck, not sure which model, just a cheap one and stock speakers.
Its not much and still need to mount the amp and hide the wires but stuck on which way to face the box, pointing up(angled backwards) or rear facing? Ive always had mine old subs rear facing but almost like the box pointing up, just looking for opinions. I dont have any pictures of it rear facing and again ignore the messy wires, I will probably mount the amp the the back of the box too, just wanted to decide which way I want it first.
Heres the pictures...

This thing does pound pretty hard for a 10" sub. Also looking for opinions on cheaper(good bang for buck) front and rear speakers, going to probably run 6" front and 6x9s in rear, also something that can run off the deck(25w RMS x4) I didnt want another amp. I was thinking of kickers but they are +80w RMS so not sure if they will still put out while being underpowered?
Thanks for your advice.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale

Re: New sub and amp
Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:01 PM
Why are you against another amp? U can get better sounding speakers than stock but nothing is really going to shine off the 10-15whole actual watts your head unit will give them. You can get a decent 40-50x4 amp for fairly cheap. What's the budget for new speakers?

I could even get you some rainbow 6.5 inch and 6x9 drop in replacements for a great price right now, and a 4 channel amp can be had for 100ish .

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:15 PM
Just wanted to keep it simple and easier to remove if I had too? Still debating it but we'll see. No budget set yet, probably going to hold off for few months anyways. The stock speakers don't sound too bad with the Kenwood, just looking for something a little better.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:25 PM
I'll totally sell you my Alpine Type-E 6x9's for 50 plus shipping. I paid 90 for them from Best Buy and barely used them. Honestly they really suck for low end and that's why I put in Type-S's but I think that they would be very nice for a system with a sub.

I'm running Alpine Type-S's all the way around (4x6's and 6x9's) with a Kenwood deck and I'm very very happy with it. The Type-E's were very good for mids and highs but the stock speakers beat them out for bass.

Friday, April 13, 2012 10:29 AM
Thanks for the offer but it will probably cost the same as new shipping them to Canada, just looking for ideas on high-end down the road. Budget is little tight right now, I wasn't even planning on buying a sub or amp. The wife wanted one for her car and got a really good deal on it so decided to buy one for myself.

Friday, April 13, 2012 8:52 PM
I would try it both ways and see what sounds better to you, If you are just going for looks I would say back firing.

Going to have to recommend a second amp for the highs and mids though, I have a similar system bass wise, and then have a 2 channel alpine running my 6.5"s upfront, I unhooked my rear 6x9s to tune and I still haven't plugged them back in because they really are not needed.

The money you save on the 6x9s can be better spent on an amp and better front speakers, take it from me, my 6x9 alpines cost more retail then I got my entire system used on kijiji for, and now I dont even have them hooked up..

Friday, April 13, 2012 9:00 PM
Yeah, few people have told me that now. I think I'll just leave the 6x9s and look at upgrading fronts with a amp.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:17 PM
how much bang you get with that 10"?
i wanna get a sub jus cant make up my mind... stuck between kicker l7 12", or alpine typr r 12" or 15"
advice on this plz i dont wanna get something that doesnt sound good in my car
i guess its just up to taste but has anyone had experience with subs like these in a cav
Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:41 PM
If those are your options go with the Type R 12. The 15 will be a lot of work to make sound good and the L7 really won't ever sound as good as a round sub. It's meant for volume.

Friday, May 11, 2012 7:40 AM
Hey thanks, do you suggest getting a decent size ported box or sealed?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search