"dual" high beams? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
"dual" high beams?
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:23 AM
I have the 97 Cavalier 2D base and we have the 4 headlight bulbs....2 for low 2 for high

I was wondering if there is any way to mod the lights so that when you switch on the high beams...the low beams stay on as well?

The main reason I want to do this is because I have HID's in both the lows and highs and when you switch to highs at night without them warmed up you can be dangerously without light for up to 10 seconds while they warm up.

Re: "dual" high beams?
Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:56 AM
does no one search anymore? there is a sticky on the top of the exterior forum called drl disable and other headlight tricks. read it.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:02 PM
Somebody asked this in the general forum too. The DRL/trick faq has the info, you have to find the right one though.

I'll explain it as simply as I can... I don't feel like looking up relay pins and such...

Our cars use the grounds to switch between high and low. they are constantly powered by 12v positive.

So, in order to wire up highs + lows you need a relay, any will work, i recommend a 4 pin weather proof relay. either buy one or pull from a car at the junk yard.. as long as it works

You will use the high beam - wire as the trigger for the relay, remember both wires will be powered (+) when the lights are off. Then you need a positive source for the trigger to work, any positive will work, you can use any of the headlight + wires, or a wire from the battery or fuse block, I find it easier to take one from the headlights, less wires running around.

Then wire through the switch of the relay a ground source, you can piggy back on the high beam ground, or make a new one, and through the switch to the low beam negative ( - )

In turn, low beams will be on by themselves, no high beams, high beams will switch on, relay will activate by the negative on high beam coming on... and will switch the relay, giving ground back to the low beams, and low beams will be on.

Also, if you hold your dimmer switch back just before the click it will overlap high/low beams and hold them both on.. you could do that temporarily to warm up your bulbs before fully switching them on.
Friday, April 27, 2012 12:15 PM
get yourself some frog lights . you cant run over frogs without frog lights .
Friday, April 27, 2012 1:28 PM
don holiday wrote:get yourself some frog lights . you cant run over frogs without frog lights .

What are you talking about?

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 11:19 AM
lafonjef wrote:
don holiday wrote:get yourself some frog lights . you cant run over frogs without frog lights .

What are you talking about?

What in the hell just came out of your mouth?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, May 07, 2012 7:21 PM
I need some help with this as well, I tried using the diode on the switch, but when I turn on my hrights, my passenger side hid shuts off. Any ideas?

That eh hole with the checkered shirt at advance
Sunday, May 13, 2012 6:44 AM
you either did it wrong, used the wrong wire.. or i don't know what else. what hid turns off, specifically? low beam, high, or both? I think I had a similar issue when I was first wiring mine up, had a wrong wire somewhere I think. I don't think you can screw up too bad with a diode though... but depending on the diode you used, it could be too small for the power that your lights pull, especially with hid's. And Its all inter connected.. (the light circuits that is) should be anyway. double check power/ground at the lights that are off when they are supposed to be on. like I said with the diode and the power it pulls.. it might not have power to run the hid, try plugging a regular bulb into the factory harness without your ballast.. see if it lights up like that.
Monday, June 18, 2012 12:39 PM
Jordan wrote:Also, if you hold your dimmer switch back just before the click it will overlap high/low beams and hold them both on.. you could do that temporarily to warm up your bulbs before fully switching them on.

QFT. By the way I think in a lot of states it's illegal to have high beams on while your low beams or foglights are also on, but turning them on for a few seconds shouldn't be a big deal.

Monday, June 18, 2012 2:10 PM
Kody LaGreca wrote:
Jordan wrote:Also, if you hold your dimmer switch back just before the click it will overlap high/low beams and hold them both on.. you could do that temporarily to warm up your bulbs before fully switching them on.

QFT. By the way I think in a lot of states it's illegal to have high beams on while your low beams or foglights are also on, but turning them on for a few seconds shouldn't be a big deal.

As Jordan said-pull the switch back but even with the click it wont shut off the lows until you fully let go. Do that so the hid's warm up.

Kody-never heard of this illegal thing but even if its illegal why would there be police in a backroad with no traffic but only trees? Lol I think a backroad or lonely road out of a city is when high beams should ONLY be used.

To the OP-You can just make it easier by going back to halogens since HIDs shouldnt be in reflector housings anyways.

Monday, June 18, 2012 8:09 PM
FireRedCav wrote:
Kody LaGreca wrote:

As Jordan said-pull the switch back but even with the click it wont shut off the lows until you fully let go. Do that so the hid's warm up.

Kody-never heard of this illegal thing but even if its illegal why would there be police in a backroad with no traffic but only trees? Lol I think a backroad or lonely road out of a city is when high beams should ONLY be used.

To the OP-You can just make it easier by going back to halogens since HIDs shouldnt be in reflector housings anyways.

I have never heard of any law like that either, I have the 4 Hi/High+Low mod, whatever you want to call it, and the fogs + highs modded, so if I want I can have all 6 lights running at once.. Never had any issues with this, when i see traffic I switch to lows way before I really have to, common sense, and common courtesy.

Also not sure why a month old thread was bumped since the OP hasn't even been back since my last post, and he never specified if he had projector housings or stock housings..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search