Hooked up my stereo, which wont work, and now car wont start?!?!?! @#$%!!!!!! - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hooked up my stereo, which wont work, and now car wont start?!?!?! @#$%!!!!!!
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:29 PM
so i sent my other kenwood head unit back in exchange for the newer model of the same head unit.

i wired it all up. The 60 dollar wire harness works because the door ajar beeping works.
The cd player takes a cd in. but doesn't send it back out when i press eject.
i blew the "radio" fuse and replaced that one to see if the radio would work. so i used the "cruise" fuse (i dont have cruise in my car so i thought i could)
now the car wont start. But i can jump start it. It turns over then shuts right off.

so i have no idea what to do!!

Re: Hooked up my stereo, which wont work, and now car wont start?!?!?! @#$%!!!!!!
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:34 PM
Matt Whalen wrote:so i sent my other kenwood head unit back in exchange for the newer model of the same head unit.

i wired it all up. The 60 dollar wire harness works because the door ajar beeping works.
The cd player takes a cd in. but doesn't send it back out when i press eject.
i blew the "radio" fuse and replaced that one to see if the radio would work. so i used the "cruise" fuse (i dont have cruise in my car so i thought i could)
now the car wont start. But i can jump start it. It turns over then shuts right off.

so i have no idea what I'm doing!!

Edited that for you. I'm going to need a few more details on exactly what you mean with all this fuse swapping and such, as well as exactly how you wired things.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Re: Hooked up my stereo, which wont work, and now car wont start?!?!?! @#$%!!!!!!
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:24 PM
If you blew the radio fuse, you might have blown other fuses. Get yourself a test light and check the tops of all the fuses with the ignition on.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:51 AM
I plugged in the aftermarket wire harness into the other harness that is already in the car.
The aftermarket harness has a door chime, which worked.
I wired in the head unit to the harness.
The head unit did nothing.

But, i did a bench test and wired the head unit to the battery and it worked then. so i know the head unit isn't faulty.

There is small black thing that holds the red ignition wire, yellow wire, and black ground wire. I was fiddling with it and it started clicking?

Also, there is a high pitched whining from i think the alternator, i havn't exactly check.

The car now starts up and dies instantly. Then i try a few more times to start it and eventually it makes a fast paced clicking sound.

Im wondering if i need a new alternator.
I can still push start the car and it works. But i cant start it regularly.

So im thinking its the alternator.
Saturday, June 02, 2012 12:48 PM
get your battery tested, mine was just low enough to do the same thing to me once. it had enough the the lights came on and the radio tried to work, but it wouldn't and the car wouldn't start. I charged it and everything was fine after, still not sure why it was low, but it was, and has been just fine ever since.

Saturday, June 02, 2012 3:18 PM
Yeah thats kinda of what it sounds like is happening. Maybe it was going bad to begin with and you killed it when working on the car, im sure you had the door open when you were installing it...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search