How much would it cost me? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How much would it cost me?
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:55 AM
Hey, I'm new here, I own a 01 Chevy Cavalier, I was wondering how much it would cost to install this deck into my Cavalier?

I've seen some videos on installing it and apparently you need to take out the entire dash?
It sounds expensive, So I was just wondering, anyone give me a hint or a clue? Thank you

Heres the stereo I bought;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Audio-Stereo-In-Dash-MP3-Player-Radio-FM-USB-SD-AUX-input-Receiver-BINB-/230976525059?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item35c7461303

Re: How much would it cost me?
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:23 PM
I'd try it yourself. Just take your time and you will be okay. Is there already a deck in the car now, an aftermarket one? If so that will make your day a whole lot easier. The dash comes apart really easy.
Thursday, August 01, 2013 6:05 AM
Nope, it's the stock stereo that came with the car. What pisses me off is that it doesnt even have a cassette player, I mean jeez. lol, I'd atleast be able to use that as the AUX, but Not even that. And how would i do that?
I can't really follow any tutorials, there are none for that stereo or for the car even, the ones i did find are very low quality and not so easy to follow.
Thursday, August 01, 2013 6:13 AM
It's going to depend on the shop 35-50 bucks would be my guess. I'd find a shop call them and ask.
Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:03 AM
Part 1
Part 2

The instructions are kind of dumb, aka you don't need to pry anything with a screwdriver and hog the seams up. But at least this shows you where all the bolts and clips are. Every bolt is 7mm and 1 philips head screw.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:35 AM
As a former installer, I'm gonna tell you like I used to tell my customers. The most expensive part about the 00+ Jbodies is the harness. You can try and save money by buying a cheap headunit, but the harness to connect it and retain the warning chimes is anywhere between $70-$120 (depending on where you get it).

If you don't mind losing the chimes, there are ways to connect the headunit and allow it to get power by using a different harness (Geo Tracker IIRC), and running a wire to the Windshield Wiper fuse. It'll run you about $8-$15 online. Maybe less.

Also, the antenna adapter is needed and the dash kit.

So Parts Needed:

Antenna Adapter, Dash Kit, and Harness here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aftermarket-Single-Din-ISO-Radio-Stereo-Install-Dash-Kit-Wire-Harness-Antenna-/390631531793

This one has the extra red wire to tap into the Windshield Wiper Fuse.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:13 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:Part 1
Part 2

The instructions are kind of dumb, aka you don't need to pry anything with a screwdriver and hog the seams up. But at least this shows you where all the bolts and clips are. Every bolt is 7mm and 1 philips head screw.

Thanks man! I appreciate it.
Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:14 AM
Sparky15_00 (Corsica Dude) wrote:As a former installer, I'm gonna tell you like I used to tell my customers. The most expensive part about the 00+ Jbodies is the harness. You can try and save money by buying a cheap headunit, but the harness to connect it and retain the warning chimes is anywhere between $70-$120 (depending on where you get it).

If you don't mind losing the chimes, there are ways to connect the headunit and allow it to get power by using a different harness (Geo Tracker IIRC), and running a wire to the Windshield Wiper fuse. It'll run you about $8-$15 online. Maybe less.

Also, the antenna adapter is needed and the dash kit.

So Parts Needed:

Antenna Adapter, Dash Kit, and Harness here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aftermarket-Single-Din-ISO-Radio-Stereo-Install-Dash-Kit-Wire-Harness-Antenna-/390631531793

This one has the extra red wire to tap into the Windshield Wiper Fuse.

Thank you, so all I need is that, and the instructional video yellowcav linked?
Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:40 PM
Pretty much man. A simple Add-A-Fuse is helpful when tapping into the windshield wiper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-qty-1-ATM-Fuse-Tap-Add-A-Circuit-for-Mini-Blade-Style-Fuses-/171067830031

Saturday, August 03, 2013 7:22 AM
Don't be intimidated by it, you can easily do it yourself and gain valuable knowledge for projects down the road

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search