Parasitic Draw - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Parasitic Draw
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:22 PM
I have a 05 cavalier base 2 door. Bought car used. The battery will die if the car isn't ran every day, if it sits for a day and 1/2 or more it won't start. If I remove the neg battery cable then reconnect it I hear a sound inside the car like a relay tripping, not sure if thats the computer or what. I've went through with a amp meter and had found out I have a power draw on the fuse under the hood labeled batt1. I pull the fuse and the amp meter drops so something is running on this circuit. I re install batt1 under hood and move to the inside. When I pull the radio fuse the amp meter also drops. At one time somebody had a amp wired up in the trunk. I know this because they left the big red power wire that goes to the battery. Also I have no chimes when the key or lights are on. Not a big deal I'd rather not have the chime. But this leads me to think maybe the factory radio isn't exactly factory although it looks like a stock radio. Maybe someone installed their head unit then switched to a gm radio when they sold the car. Anybody have any ideas why I would have a draw on my radio circuit when everything is off and the car is parked? The radio doesn't play with the keys removed so it isn't wired up direct.

Re: Parasitic Draw
Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:16 PM
Found out the clicking sound inside is on the 10 amp fuse for the cluster, is this normal?
Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:18 PM
Fuses don't click... but the cluster needles will reset themselves when you apply power. So yes, it's normal.

Does your car have the factory amp behind the carpet on the driver's side of the trunk? Another way to check, do the rear speakers have two or four wires to them?
Tuesday, December 03, 2013 9:53 PM
Relays click. Don't know if that's helpful but here we are.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search