Fiberglass Sub Box - Page 2 - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Fiberglass Sub Box
Friday, February 11, 2005 6:48 PM
thanks for the tip. il try that for my next project.

Travis Nobert
Travis Enterprise
Come on down to Evolution Audio in Edmonton Alberta, and I can HOOK YOU UP.

Sunday, February 13, 2005 10:48 AM
once your working on a verticle surface it will be hard to do allot of layers because it will tend to start sliding on you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:39 PM
ya i found that out the hard way.

Travis Nobert
Travis Enterprise
Sunday, February 13, 2005 11:12 PM
ROFL, just build it up horizontally, then carpet it (if you want to keep the theme), then install!
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 6:30 PM
wysiwyg wrote:using chop mat is old news...no need for any mat or fabric at all. just reinforce it using a thixatropic(sp) mixture applied to the insde. Cut's down sanding time, and overall build time by a LARGE amount, plus it's easier to do.

i can do a plain 2 woofer box in about 8 hours of labor....from cutting the wood to spraying clear coat. it's easy if you know the tricks

Where do you get a Thixatropic mixture??? What is it? I need to build a box for my 18XXX and im on the verge of sending it back cause i cant figure out anyway of getting it into the car - and I dont know how to glass - educate me. - Could you use somthing like sand in the resin and do the same thing???
Sunday, February 20, 2005 1:09 PM
good question?????? can you???

Travis Nobert
Travis Enterprise
Sunday, February 20, 2005 1:14 PM
I don't know about sand, but that would be sweet because there is tons of it in the street from the snow!

Sunday, February 20, 2005 2:56 PM
you mix up some resin with some fumed silica. some people use talc powder. but all it does is makes it a very thick consistency, add your mekp and brush it to the inside of your box for strength. you still have to use fabric and resin for the form, but use the resin "milkshake" for internal strength.

give me a minute and i'll get you a mixing ratio.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Sunday, February 20, 2005 3:02 PM
ok, you should use about a 3:1 mixing ratio 3 parts expander to 1 part resin. after it's mixed then add your mekp (2-5 a good powder is Aerosil Fumed Silica

http://www.uscomposites.com/

also check your local boat places, and auto body supply shops.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Sunday, February 20, 2005 7:24 PM
ANy ideas on how much it would take to do a 6cube enclosure? I still like my sand idea
Sunday, February 20, 2005 7:34 PM
Kermit Beaulieu wrote:ANy ideas on how much it would take to do a 6cube enclosure? I still like my sand idea

sand works too...it's ends up more like concrete though. my buddy had his entire center console in his spl van made with it. VERY heavy though. we had to chisel it out of the van when we tore it down, lol.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Monday, February 21, 2005 8:24 AM
Well I dont know if I want somthing THAT heavy but the enclosure is for a 18" XXX so I need somthing VERY strong - let me know what you suggest I mean will sand be way too over-kill? Will the Fumed Silica provide a strong enough box? Any ideas of how much material it will take so I can get to ordering - Thanks. Also does anyone know if RE would allow me to trade in my unused (ever) 18xxx for a 15xxx - 18 is a pain in my ______ fitting it in my cav.
Monday, February 21, 2005 2:20 PM
yea, the sand way is a lot cheaper, but it's VERY heavy, lol.

Using the thixotropy mixture is the fastest and easiest way to build thickness...you can get it up to an inch thick EASILY. once you start doing it you'll see how it goes.

As for material. get a couple things of resin, and they sell the silica (aerosil) in 10lb bags. it's a big bag it's just light stuff. you'll have to call around for prices though.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search