Speaker Size Info(CLICK BEFORE YOU POST) - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Speaker Size Info(CLICK BEFORE YOU POST)
Wednesday, January 19, 2005 7:04 PM
For J-Bodies!

What size are the front speakers? What can I put in there?

Your front speakers are 4x6. They look like this with the panel off

You can either buy a new pair of 4x6, or you could fit some 5 1/4 or 6 ½ speakers in there

But SomeGuy, how do I fit 5 1/4 or 6 ½ speakers in that rectangular hole?

You mean in here?

Well, you make an adapter. They sell some, but they’re crap(or so I’ve heard). So make some. Preferably with 5/8 particle board. Finished product should look like this

and after install, like this

How about the rear speakers? What size are they? What can I fit in there?

Your rear speakers are 6x9.

As such:

As far I know, without cutting sheet metal, you can only fit other 6x9's in there

Help! The 6x9's don’t fit in the hole. They don’t go down all the way!

Relax. Try screwing them into the stock bracket. Is it still doesn’t go down, then make a space using the same particle board you used for your front speakers

You might have to stick 2 spacers together.

what should I do about the rear deck carpeting? Is it doing to mess with my sound quality? Should I cut holes?

Some argue that there is no sound quality lost through the carpeting on the rear deck, others say yes. I myself cut the carpeting, as I found it muffled the sound. Mount them with the carpet on and listen to it for yourself. If you feel you need to cut it, then try and make it as clean as possible so it doesn’t look horrible.

so what should I put in there? What are some good brands?

Everyone has their own taste. I may like Pioneer and Infinity while the next joe blow likes Alpine and Kicker. Its up to you. Shop around and see what suits your taste and your wallet.

credit

http://home.comcast.net/~shredder5/audio/6.5/6.5.html

Provided most of the pictures and a lot of very helpful info on 6 ½ speaker install.

KEEP THIS BUMPED! And add anything you feel i missed <br>

Re: Speaker Size Info(CLICK BEFORE YOU POST)
Wednesday, January 19, 2005 7:12 PM
Sticky! <br>

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Wednesday, January 19, 2005 7:50 PM
There are adapters to fit any size speaker in the 6x9 location... i currently have a set of 6.5 CDT Coaxs in back just a lil added info
Wednesday, January 19, 2005 8:22 PM
indeed there is. i forgot about those

heres some pictures incase anyone needs these.
the 6x9 adapters to fit other speaker sizes are

again, you can make your own and it will probably even sound better using MDF board. this just gives you an idea..

incase anyone needs any other kind of adapter, i dont know about the quality, but go here

http://www.mjmautoinnovations.com/speakeradapters

<br>

Friday, January 21, 2005 9:12 AM
bump.. <br>

Friday, January 21, 2005 9:23 AM
sticky!!! <br>

Friday, January 21, 2005 10:17 AM
If the 6x9's are too big for the rear hole, you can always expand the whole using a dremel with a grinding wheel. Thats the way I did it.
Friday, January 21, 2005 11:42 AM
Just to let you know, the reference you have there is from someone who ripped off the original guy who did this. So it's not his actual pictures/info, he just hosted it himself w/o asking. <br>

<br>
Friday, January 21, 2005 1:06 PM
Anyone seen an adapter to allow 5 1/4" components in the front stock opening?

Mark P.
Friday, January 21, 2005 1:24 PM
Mark Pain wrote:Anyone seen an adapter to allow 5 1/4" components in the front stock opening?

Mark P.

yes <br>

Friday, January 21, 2005 3:53 PM
xOPETHx wrote:
Mark Pain wrote:Anyone seen an adapter to allow 5 1/4" components in the front stock opening?

Mark P.

yes

Got a link or any useful info?

Mark P.

Friday, January 21, 2005 5:32 PM
just make them the same way you'd make the 6 1/2 ones in shown in the original post. only the hole will be smaller. or you could buy these

and this is SomeGuy at my girlfriends house. i ran out of posts so i have to come over here to post . i'll get a premium account one of these days.

oh, can anyone tell me who the original guy is? i need to give him credit then. i cant take cradit for someone elses work. <br>

Sunday, January 23, 2005 1:33 PM
bump <br>

Sunday, January 23, 2005 3:31 PM
my front speakers are 3 1/2's. <br>

Sorry.....
You have been banned from posting on this site as of 2005-01-13 10:15:53.
This ban will expire 2005-01-14 10:15:35 Pacific Time.
Reason: Free 84 Cavi Drop Top!
Monday, January 24, 2005 9:25 AM
Carina V. wrote:just make them the same way you'd make the 6 1/2 ones in shown in the original post. only the hole will be smaller. or you could buy these

and this is SomeGuy at my girlfriends house. i ran out of posts so i have to come over here to post . i'll get a premium account one of these days.

oh, can anyone tell me who the original guy is? i need to give him credit then. i cant take cradit for someone elses work.

The link takes me to a site that sells plates for either 6 1/2" speakers or 5 1/4" speakers. I am looking for pre-fabbed plates that will hold 5 1/4" speakers and tweeters ( 1" or 1 1/2" tweeters). If there isn't a company that makes them, I will make them myself but I am just trying to save some time.

Thanks,

Mark P.
Monday, January 24, 2005 11:21 AM
you mount the tweeters somewhere else, where they can be heard better. like on the A-Pillar, or somewhere up highers on the door panel <br>

Monday, January 24, 2005 11:26 AM
So are those brackets any good or what? <br>

Monday, January 24, 2005 11:26 AM
Not in the a pillar, usually with in 6 inches of the speaker in the door or the rear deck to get the best. <br>

Monday, January 24, 2005 12:50 PM
Okay...I relaize that the door is not an ideal location for components but it would be nice if people could actually attempt to answer the question that is asked. Currently my components are in the kick panels, but I am selling my car and have a buyer lined up for the kick panels so I would like to put the components in the door. The new owner of the car can then decide what he/she wants to do.

So, if anyone can answer the questions I have now asked twice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mark P.
Friday, January 28, 2005 5:10 PM
bump.. <br>

Friday, January 28, 2005 5:21 PM
Mark, of course you can buy them. If you're that bent on buying them premade then make an effort at least to find some, your best bet will be circuit city/best buy/futureshop. You could also get them at crutchfield I think.

But honestly, why waste the money? The thin plastic they're made of is not going to be very good for sound, making them yourself out of particle board will sound much better. Besides, it takes 30mins to do (not joking) and you can appreciate that you made it custom after you're finished. <br>

<br>

Friday, January 28, 2005 8:28 PM
i bought the 6.5" speaker adapters off of ebay for $15, I have Audiobahn speakers installed and they sound AWSOME, would switching to MDF really make that much difference. I did put, dynamat extreme on the back of the adapter to lessen some of the vibrations, but, im pleased overall. <br>

Saturday, January 29, 2005 10:58 AM
shouldn't this be stickied or something? just a thought... <br>

Had a cavalier, now I got a 99 explorer sport.....
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/davesexplorer2
SPL sound system setup, work in progress... Alpine 9807 hu
4 MA Audio X2 12" subs, 1 modded HK4000d (soon to be 2-4)
Street C next season
Saturday, January 29, 2005 11:59 AM
yea, shouldnt it?

<br>

Sunday, January 30, 2005 4:53 PM
bump <br>

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search