Setting the "Highs" amp - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Setting the "Highs" amp
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:38 PM
alright, my cousin is coming tomorrow and he's finally bringing me my RF 400a4 that i ordered from ebay like 2 months ago(i shipped it to his house cause international shipping is way too expensive). anyways, i suck with setting eq's and @!#$, so when i connect it, should i set it to high pass? all 4 of the speakers? and what should iset the eq at for the front? rear? i was thinking highpass with theeq set at 1000khz. would that be right? i dont need any bass coming from these cause that what the subs are for, right?

Re: Setting the "Highs" amp
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:13 PM
what do you have for the highs, otherwise from my little experience that sounds about right, maybe 250 kHz might even be good enough for the front, and about 150 kHz for the rear. mix it up a bit tho, because you don't want to have a huge gap between each speaker, for example, if you sub puts out about 80 Hz max, and your mid range starts at 250 kHz, that is to big of a gap between the two. I'm trying to set mine to about 40-80 Hz for the subs, and about 80 - 150 kHz, and about 180 - 250 tweeters. that way i have everything blending and no gaps of more then 100 kHz. but I'm sure that someone here will shoot me down and say that what i want to do is %#@& and do it this other way. in which case listen to them. like i said my limited experience.

Travis Nobert
Travis Enterprise
Come on down to Evolution Audio in Edmonton Alberta, and I can HOOK YOU UP.
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:17 PM
i'm sure your talking about setting the crossover right?? 1000KHZ is WAY WAY WAY to high..

depending on what you have for a front stage, i'd say in the range of 75-100hz (not KHZ, lmao) is what you want to high pass them. it is all system dependant though, and requires an experienced listener to determine where the crossover points should be set.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Thursday, February 17, 2005 4:25 AM
travis what tweeters do you have that will play to 250hz? thats midbass range. only thing i know can play that low would be a horn driver and even those usually only play down in the 500hz range, unless yoru spending over a couple of grand a piece for the expensive ones.

i try and get my hish to play as low as possible without distoring. start at a setting and play it and see how it sounds, then see if you can lower the crossover a bit without the speaker distorting, keep doing this till you get your highs to play as low as they can, then adjust your sub to match.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:30 AM
i have my subs playing low. i dont have a crossvoer, but he amp has a built in one, so thats why i was asking. pioneer6 x 9 5 ways in the back and 4 ways in the front(6 1/2 coaxials)

Thursday, February 17, 2005 2:35 PM
Best advice: Just go by what sounds best. Start out with your boost in the 120-150hz range, and play with it a little and decide what you like best. Personally, I like a lot of lower-end mid range that is almost right at my crossover level. I have my subs crossed over at 90hz, and the boost on my front speakers is at 120 hz. It's just what sounds best to me. You are going ot be listening to your stereo more than anyone, so it's gotta be what you like. Most crossovers that I have seen on a speaker amplifier have a boost from anywhere around 80hz to about 250hz. You don't lose any of the higher frequencies when in a car, mostly low ones that are masked by road noise, etc, and that's why you have to amplify them.

Friday, February 18, 2005 1:05 PM
Travis N wrote:what do you have for the highs, otherwise from my little experience that sounds about right, maybe 250 kHz might even be good enough for the front, and about 150 kHz for the rear. mix it up a bit tho, because you don't want to have a huge gap between each speaker, for example, if you sub puts out about 80 Hz max, and your mid range starts at 250 kHz, that is to big of a gap between the two. I'm trying to set mine to about 40-80 Hz for the subs, and about 80 - 150 kHz, and about 180 - 250 tweeters. that way i have everything blending and no gaps of more then 100 kHz. but I'm sure that someone here will shoot me down and say that what i want to do is %#@& and do it this other way. in which case listen to them. like i said my limited experience.

Um. . . what species are you? H-Sapiens cut off around 20kHz Most tweeters roll of around 30kHz. If you set a x-over at 250kHz, save the money, get amplifiers for only the back speakers, and the subwoofers.

To address the original question, most subs I've listened to will go to 1khz, but the perfrom better at 250Hz and lower. I set my system for 120Hz low pass to the sub, and 120Hz high pass to front and rear. Some music would be better at 80Hz settings but I have NIN that hits too hard up to 120Hz for my speakers to handle. By routing that to my sub I get closer to the sonic effect I think Trent Renzor was after, without risking my mids.

/Trent Renzor might have wanted to blow up my mids, but I ain't gonna let 'im!
Friday, February 18, 2005 1:09 PM
SomeGuys B wrote:alright, my cousin is coming tomorrow and he's finally bringing me my RF 400a4 that i ordered from ebay like 2 months ago(i shipped it to his house cause international shipping is way too expensive). anyways, i suck with setting eq's and @!#$, so when i connect it, should i set it to high pass? all 4 of the speakers? and what should iset the eq at for the front? rear? i was thinking highpass with theeq set at 1000khz. would that be right? i dont need any bass coming from these cause that what the subs are for, right?

1000kHz = 1MHz. When I read that you were getting RF I thought you meant Rockford Fosgate, not a radio frequency amplifier. Nobody can hear jack at frequencies that high, I don't care if you amplify it with a 60GW klystron, you ain't gonna hear it, and you dang sure sure ain't gonna power it with anything you can put in something smaller than a comercial truck Chassis.
Friday, February 18, 2005 2:04 PM
i did mean rockford fosgate, lol

Rock fosgate 400a4(100 watts x 2), hookinh it up right now.

Friday, February 18, 2005 2:04 PM
100x4 i mean, stupid me

Friday, February 18, 2005 4:45 PM
either you mis-typed your post...or you have no concept of HZ at all, lmao

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:25 AM
range of human hearing
20hz to 20khz(20,000hz) .. hows 1000khz fit in there.. honestly?

Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:39 AM
i did mis-type, i meant 1000hz or 1khz(same thing, right?). i figured since thas what i used for a test tone, that's where i'd set my cross over. either way, your right, i dont have any understand of cross overs, which is why i asked.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 1:07 PM
i got JL Audio 3.5" coaxials TR350-CXi in the front that will handle 130 Hz - 22 KHz, i have then crossed over at about 150 - 170 Hz off the deck. they sound great. i got factory set of 6x9's in the rear (from a Pontiac 6000) crossed over at about 220 Hz off the deck, and my sub is crossed over at about 70 Hz off the deck. again sounds great to me. once i get the amp to power my 6x9 3 way shacker speakers, i will be crossing that over at about the same as the 6x9's i got in there right now. and then il add a set of components, amplified and set at around 120 - 220 Hz and put then in the front.

Travis Nobert
Travis Enterprise
Come on down to Evolution Audio in Edmonton Alberta, and I can HOOK YOU UP.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search