speakers - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
speakers
Friday, February 18, 2005 6:44 PM
Alright guys I got a 2001 sunfire with a stock deck. I don't wanna put subs in right now but I want a good set of 6x9's in the rear. What do you think is the best set for me?? Considering I am running them off a stock deck??

"Hick's can own J'body's too"

Re: speakers
Friday, February 18, 2005 7:32 PM
If this helps I am in Canada EH?? And in New Brunswick so we have no best buy (incase you say to go there lol). I just need something to sound decent for now with good quality when turned up. And not for anything over $175 Canadian lol

"Hick's can own J'body's too"
Re: speakers
Friday, February 18, 2005 7:52 PM
My stock deck (CD player with RDS - 2002) seems to have a "feature" built in to help preserve the speakers - it sounds like attenuates the bass output to maintain it at a pre-determined maximum level, even though you turn the volume up louder. The effect of this is that once you pass this level, your volume control only affects the mids and highs, but the bass is limited. I'm very sure that this is the deck doing this, and not the fault of the speakers.
My point is - replacing your 6X9s with much "better" units may not reap huge benefits for you as long as you are using the stock deck. If you get 2-way (or more) units, then you will likely find that the highs are much clearer from back there, but I'll bet that if you're looking for more bass response, you probably aren't going to find it here.
"Good" sounding speakers are really a personal thing. If you ask 10 different people which ones they like the sound of, you'll likely get at least 7-8 different answers. A good rule to follow though is that companies that specialize in manufacturing speakers typically make better ones than companies that make a wide range of products. Unfortunately they are also typically the higher priced ones. All you can really do is listen to a few different ones and see which ones you like best. Make sure that you control the volume, and turn it down when switching between sets. If you don't do this, and one set happens to be more efficient, your brain will almost automatically think that the louder one is better, regardless of its tonal quality.
Personally, I would spend my money on a head unit first, and then go from there. Somtimes the factory units aren't as bad as they're made out to be once you have a good source. "Garbage in, garbage out." I'm planning on moving a Pioneer deck from my other car to my Sunfire in the spring, so I'll see how my plan works at that time.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/2002sunfiresl/Modified%20sunfire2.jpg
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search