Amp suggestions?? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Amp suggestions??
Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:00 AM
I finally got my component set and my sub. I'm looking for 2 amps, one for components and one for sub. I'm looking for a mono amp for my sub, and more than likely a 2 chanel amp for my components. I want something that will put out good clean sound to my sub and components, as well as visually looks good. (preferably black and sliver) no blues (hifonics is acceptable) I'm not an audiobahn flame fan either. Here are all of the specs and links to the subs and components. And to add to that I have a Clarion DXZ655MP if that is useful information to anyone.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!! Thanks again guys!!

COMPONENTS:
Image Dynamics CXS5 2Ohm
RMS/Power handling - 100w
Imp. 2Ohms
Sens. 88Db
Frequency Response - 55Hz->25kHz
Links for components:
http://imagedynamicsusa.com/website/products/chameleon.html
http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSCXS52

Sub:
Image Dynamics IDQ12 v.2 d2
RMS/Power handling - 350/700w
dual 2Ohm voice coil
Xmax 13.7mm
ported box recommended dimensions for ported box: 1.25-2cu ft
Links for sub:
http://imagedynamicsusa.com/website/products/idq.html
http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSIDQ12D2V2

74 in a 45?? are you sure officer?? I really didn't think my car would even go that fast!!

Re: Amp suggestions??
Thursday, February 17, 2005 2:13 PM
I'd look at getting a four channel amp. Run your components on 1, and 2 channels then bridge 3 and 4 to run your amp.. but I'd recommend that just for the ease of system building. Running 2 amps is fine if you don't mind the extra wiring and can find a place to mount them.

if you want a black and silver amp.. I know Kicker has some that are nice

Thursday, February 17, 2005 2:55 PM
I don't mind the wiring. Thats no problem at all. I've got my mind set on 2 separate amps for one reason. My b/f has a similar setup with similar components and sub. and his sub amp went. if he would've run a 4 channel like he had originally planned he would've been screwed until he got another amp. in this case, he had 2 so he could still listen to music, minus the low bass.

Just about every high end amp out there is black and silver, whether it be brushed aluminum or chrome or painted. Kicker in my opinion doesn't fall into the "high end" category. I've had close to a dozen bad kicker experiences with their speakers. So i'm kind of steering away from kicker amps. About the only thing I respect kicker for is their solo barrick and solo X. I'm not trying to say I hate kicker because I don't, but with this setup I'd prefer to stay away from them. Way too much money into this system to have something go wrong now.

I was thinking maybe clarion's apa2001 mono amp for my sub, but the output isn't quite what I'm looking for it's only rated at 230 @ 2ohms though it does have a 400w max output. Suggested for the sub at best range is 350w. write up about it is here: http://www.cardomain.com/item/CLAAPA2001
Thanks!

74 in a 45?? are you sure officer?? I really didn't think my car would even go that fast!!
Thursday, February 17, 2005 4:24 PM
don't go for hifonics or audiobahn then if your looking for high end.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Thursday, February 17, 2005 9:19 PM
wysiwyg wrote:don't go for hifonics or audiobahn then if your looking for high end.

eh, ever hear of the Colossus, Maximus? Or AB5000SPL? Oh wait that's the spler in me talking again...

Zapco, Audison, Sinfoni, Tru... well you didn't give a price range? I liked clarions stuff from last year too.

Had a cavalier, now I got a 99 explorer sport.....
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/davesexplorer2
SPL sound system setup, work in progress... Alpine 9807 hu
4 MA Audio X2 12" subs, 1 modded HK4000d (soon to be 2-4)
Street C next season
Thursday, February 17, 2005 9:32 PM
Davesexplorer wrote:
wysiwyg wrote:don't go for hifonics or audiobahn then if your looking for high end.

eh, ever hear of the Colossus, Maximus? Or AB5000SPL? Oh wait that's the spler in me talking again...

Zapco, Audison, Sinfoni, Tru... well you didn't give a price range? I liked clarions stuff from last year too.

i was going on the assumption he was talking about the 1500 or some of the other cheap hifonics. those are horrible

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Thursday, February 17, 2005 9:36 PM
OK I won't judge your choice against kicker stuff

Fosgate also has some black and silver/chrome stuff.
I know you said no blue, but the amp I have in my setup is an SPL XL-2 1600 watt amp, it's blue with a chrome end cap. You could easily take the top off the amp and paint it black. Specs if you want to know are: 310 wRMS @ 4 ohms x 2 and 370 wRMS @ 2 ohms x 2. Its 4 ohm mono stable and puts out 780 wRMS mono. I'm pretty happy with that amp so far.. I beat the hell out of it and it's stayed cool and loud.

A friend of mine has an eclipse amp.. I'm not sure which one though he said it's 300 wRMS. He runs it to his Phoenix Gold 12 and it sound pretty good. I think its mostly silver though..

I dunno about Hifonics stuff.. I've read mixed reviews. But as far as Audiobahn goes.. I'd recommend against it. Everything that I've ever had or seen by Audiobahn goes to crap pretty quickly, not the definition of "high end"

Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:18 PM
go with a 640.2 and 640.4 from Clarion ull love them and very well priced, i am a proud owner of both

Friday, February 18, 2005 11:36 AM
. You definitely don't have to worry about me going with audiobahn. Not a fan of the flames. Well, not audiobahn flames anyway, I am putting flames on my car this spring. A friend is selling a Hifonics Brutus, and I've read quite a fiew good reviews about them. Don't really have a price range. The way I look at it, you get what you pay for.

I only paid 2g for my car, so I'm making up for what I would've paid for it in mods. By the time I'm done I'll probably have close to 7 grand in it. If its got an R title it might as well be nice Right??.

But anyway back to the amps. I dont know if I told you guys or not the sub has dual voice coils. So that may change you're input some too. I'm gonna check out some of Davesexplorer suggestions.

Hey Davesexplorer any good audio stores down you're way?? I know there's nothing up here. State Collge is only about an hour away and I'm there every other weekend.

Still Open for Suggestions!

Friday, February 18, 2005 2:25 PM
audio stores here....

-Paul and Tony's, they sell kicker, alpine, and some lesser brands, It's downtown if you are on college ave off atherton make the 2nd left and the place is on the left.
-There's a circuit city and a best buy as well, but you wanted good audio stores...
-There's also Extreme Audio I believe is what it's called now, the previous owner was really shady and ripped a lot of ppl off, including me, maybe it's better with new ownership? It's on benner pike past dunlap-mattas ford toward bellefonte. They used to sell MA, Pioneer, MTX etc.

If you are on a budget, MA Audio stuff works great too, black and silver theme w/ blue led's in thier amps. That's pretty much all I use, aside from my alpine HU.
_________

Had a cavalier, now I got a 99 explorer sport.....
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/davesexplorer2
SPL sound system setup, work in progress... Alpine 9807 hu
4 MA Audio X2 12" subs, 1 modded HK4000d (soon to be 2-4)
Street C next season
Friday, February 18, 2005 4:43 PM
those hifonics brutus 1500's only do about 900 watts of actual power. they break easily too. but that's a risk you take at those prices.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:32 AM
My sub has best output at 350w, so I don't need anything huge. I'm headed to State College this weekend so maybe I'll check out Paul & Tony's and Extreme Audio. Anyone know anything about Clarion's DPX1001.2?? I havne't heard good or bad, Just wondering if anyone used them. There's one up for grabs in the Classifieds and I guess it's like new. It's a 2 channel, but It can be bridged.

If I don't hear anything good about clarion I can get a set of ppi art series I just got off the phone with the kid selling them!!! Thanks guys!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search