I think i got a ****ed up amp off ebay!! - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I think i got a ****ed up amp off ebay!!
Friday, February 18, 2005 3:13 PM
the RF 400a2 that i always mention, i finally got it today and i was hooking it up. well, 2 of the channels arent working correctly. with the multimeter, channel 2 and channel 4 both display 16.7 v(what i set it to, 70 watts@4ohms)

but channel 1 only displays 1.4, -2.4v and when i connect a speaker to it it sounds real low. and channel 30 displays -0.00v. if i invert it and put the + where the neg goes and the Neg where the pos goes, then it displays 60+ v. right now i only have the 6x9's connected off channel 2 and 4, it this amp fryed? it'd be a huge hassle to send it back or get a refund, because when i ordered it, i had it sent to my cousins house in NY, and then he bought it for me when he came now(outside of the country)

another thing, being the idiot that i am, while i was using the test tone and setting the gains, i forgot it was still on the test tone and recconected one of my speakers. not a good idea. when i connected it correctly, it sounded crunchy and weird, but after like 5 minutes of resting, i tried again and it sounded fine, even at max volume. did i blow it and then it fixed itself??

Re: I think i got a ****ed up amp off ebay!!
Friday, February 18, 2005 4:42 PM
sounds like you got a broken amp alright. call around some stereo shops and see if any of them have an in-house tech that could take a look at it for you.

and speakers don't fix themselves. most likely that was just a LOT of distorion you heard, if it works fine now don't sweat it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Friday, February 18, 2005 7:49 PM
yea, i know they dont fix themselves, but i even tried it with the factory wiring and i was still geting distortion or whatever and then magically, it was working perfectly again. oh well, i'm not complaining. i learned my leason, never connect the speaker when playingtones again.

grr, i already left good feedback for this guy.

Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:34 AM
well as a temp solution, i was thinking of this since i dont have the money to send the amp to be repaired.

if my speakers are 4ohms, and i wire them parallel, then i have a 2 ohm load. the amp puts out 50x4@4ohms, or 100x4@2ohms. if i connect the 2 speakers to one channel, then they'd each get 50 watts, right? 100@2ohms, devided by 2 cause theres 2 of em hooked up. i can put the front speakers on once channel, and the rear speakers on the other good one. i'll lose steroe sound but its a temp solution..

Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:51 AM
btw, if anyone has this amp, theres a swtich next to the highpass/full/lowpass filter and i have no idea what it does. the amp's letteres have been kind of rubbed off, so all i can see is "input...(something)" and then on the top is "4...(something)". theres no middle either, so i can set it to 4 or whatever the other thing is.

Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:11 PM
should be a 2 or 4 channel input selector.
Its so you can run one Rca and split it to all channels inside the amp
Is that amp sending constant high voltage DC out the speaker outputs?
If so its probably fried.
Saturday, February 19, 2005 9:47 PM
one of th channels is sending high volts, one of them isnt sending anything(it is, but only like 2 volts) and the other 2 channels are working fine. i figure one of the channels is fried and the other is so low because.... i dunno.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search