Power Problems? Shortage? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power Problems? Shortage?
Monday, February 21, 2005 5:27 PM
OK Heres What I have as far as Power:
4awg Power from batt to Dist block to amps
8awg Power wire from batt to Relay to Compressors(airride)
18awg wire to switchpanel(Neon, 2-5" LCD, Remote for amps, and Power Inverter

Power is used by:
2 1200w amps (40 Amps each i THINK they are Rockford 401s amps)
1 Viar 450cc compressor Not shure on the amperage
1 Firestone 250cc compressor also not shure on the amperage
Power Inverter for Xbox
the rest is small stuff, neon, LCDs, ect

Power source is a Yellowtop(new), stock alt

Problem:
If I run the Amps and/or the compressors at the same time as the Xbox the INverter throws that annoying ass BEEEEEEP lowe power warning and shuts off the xbox, I also STILL have dimming problems from the compressors and amps, and even my power windows...

I still have my stock batery and I thought about running it in the trunk in addition to the yellowtop.

these are the problems I may be having:
a) Bad Altenator
b) Inverter Power wire to small(running off switchpanel 18awg power wire..
c) Inverter wattage not high enough? (125 watts now)

Im thinking is an altenator problem with Voltage because if im accelerating I can run the xbox and the amps OR compressors.
Also everything dims including stuff run on a seperate wireing set like the headlights and the LCDs and all
Let me know where to start!

Thanks

Re: Power Problems? Shortage?
Monday, February 21, 2005 5:43 PM
Upgrade the big 3 and upgrade for your inverter wire, 18awg is to small(12awg will be good). After that upgrade your alternator those compressor take a lot of currant.

2 x Adire Brahma 15", 2 x PA A3000DB
Monday, February 21, 2005 9:44 PM
Just ran a quick 12awg off my inverter, Problem solved. seemed to have taken ALOT of stress of the power problems and the Xbox runs fine now even with the car not running! YAY! Now where can I find the right relay so I can use the power switch I had to Turn on the Current thru my new 12awg wire? (if that made any sence)

Thnx for the help and the Alt will be Upgraded as soon as I find a good one! any suggestions?

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 8:52 AM
Made perfect sense. Any decent auto relay should be fine. You can get them at Napa or parts stores for just a few bucks. Just tell them what you need, and they should be able to help pretty easy.

Brakes? I don't need no stinking brakes....I have air bags
http://members.cardomain.com/charlzo_2000
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 8:48 AM
glad u got the problem fixed, i was gonna say i run 8 gauge to my inverter, i was thinking that was your issue, most audio shops should have relays for what you need. i'd personallly run a relay for the power to the inverter and neons etc for power.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search