Alternator question - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Alternator question
Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:59 PM
Does anyone know what the biggest alternator that can fit in a 99 Cav? without any modification

Re: Alternator question
Friday, February 25, 2005 8:24 AM
correct me if i'm wrong but all high output alternators are based on stock casings so a 200 amp alternator will be the same size as our stock ~80 amp alternators.

Friday, February 25, 2005 9:42 AM
The guy at the auto shop i go to told me that i might not be able to fit more than a 140 in there. Just was wondering what some ppl have in their 99 2.4L. So i will know if it will fit or not
Saturday, February 26, 2005 2:59 AM
I have a 160 amp in my 98 fire. I got it off ebay. I think i seen a 200 amp.
Saturday, February 26, 2005 9:17 AM
200 amp for the 2.4L, 2.3L
300 amp for the 2.2 L
thoes are the biggest u can fit

Saturday, February 26, 2005 1:19 PM
a 300 for a 2.2L?

Fact 1:

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.
Sunday, February 27, 2005 7:12 AM
Thanks guys
Saturday, March 05, 2005 4:00 PM
so the maximum amount is 300 for a 2.2L? where exactly on the internet can i find a site that sells Delco amps?
i am asking this beacause i just went into a shop to price out a new setup and im going to buy 2 12" m3mojo mephis subs and a 1500 watt amp. Dave (the owner of the shop) says im goin to have to purchase an alternator to make this power for the amp. he said that i need to get a Delco alternator thats at least 150amps and one that will fit my car thats a direct bolt on..
can anyone give me a few sites that sell these for my 2.2L cav?
thanks

Saturday, March 05, 2005 5:18 PM
I would wait until you get everything installed before you go out and buy an alternator. I don't care what he says, there is NO way to know if you will need one until things are installed.

Mike Roth
I wish I had a system
Saturday, March 05, 2005 7:37 PM
ok.. but is there a site where i can buy these delco amps that are at least 150amps?????

Saturday, March 05, 2005 7:47 PM
i rather not have my lights and such dim... so putting in a better alternator would be a good idea.. any links?

Saturday, March 05, 2005 9:13 PM
Well fisrt I would go out and purchase a gell battery for your system and hook that up to your amps and run the power for your amps with a couple of good power caps. Then see if you have to run a different alt I don't think you'd have too many problems if you do that.
Sunday, March 06, 2005 10:34 AM
yes; but corret me if im wrong tho... in order to run the power from the battery to the amps and with the caps; you need a power source to send the power to the battery, and that would be the alternator that produces that power.... and as the owner said that a 63amp alternator; causing the battery to drain

Sunday, March 06, 2005 3:31 PM
63amps? LOL Maybe at idle it's 63 amps.. Cavy's have 105amp alts.. I've seen 200A units for the 2.2's... Couldn't find any for my Eco though, figures..

I'll find it for ya.. Hold up..

"If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!"
Sunday, March 06, 2005 3:39 PM
Sara Kingsman wrote:i rather not have my lights and such dim... so putting in a better alternator would be a good idea.. any links?

I understand that, but if you don't have the system yet, how do you know if your lights will dim?

If you already have the system, have gotten a new battery, and upgraded the big 3, ignore me.

Mike Roth
I wish I had a system
Sunday, March 06, 2005 3:44 PM
here's one on ebay-160A

Here's another one..

180 amps right here..LIFETIME WARRANTY!

Still nothing for my Eco.. Might have to give D.Iraggi a ringy dingy for a 200A unit...

Anyways, there ya go..

"If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!"
Monday, March 07, 2005 2:49 PM
thanks for all the info guys... i checked out alterstart site and that alt is only up to a 2000. will it still fit my car? i also heard that stinger makes some as well..
i have yet to change out my stock battery yet but since im putting a $2,500 setup in my car im not goin to make any precautions; especialy when the owner said i "wouldnt make it from vineland back to cape may with your stock alt". so i found a local shop that rebuilds alts and i might be checking them out so they can just use my stock one if all else goes wrong. and then i'll get an optima yellow top battery and get some 4gauge wire to hook up to the battery..

Monday, March 07, 2005 2:54 PM
get the amp, install it, then see if you have a problem. if you do, u can look at alternators, we have guys on here running around 2000 watts who are still using the stock alternator with no problems. no since in spending money on something you may not need.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, March 07, 2005 6:14 PM
not tryin to rob a post, but i found some high output alternators on ebay brand new with lifetime warranty for 180 dollas shipped, the brand is Delco and it is 160 amps is this a good deal or not, i dont knw what aftermarket alternators cost, so i thought id ask, later

pic coming soon

"Live Life To The Fullest" "Customize Everything"
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 12:00 PM
delco, thats the brand for gm cars. but with that ebay page, do they guarantee that the alt will put out that much power? the shop owner said that can have an "amperage test" or whatver he said i really cant remember to certify that its producing that much power... i belive Stinger makes some too.

2000 watts?? i told this shop owner about that and he says there is a good possibility that he isnt getting all that this kid can get with that watts if he stills uses he stock alt without chaning the amps...

idk, im just going to play it safe and change out of upgrade my alternator anyways...
ehh whats $2500 for a new stereo anyways. lol

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 6:49 PM
I am trying to set up a group purchase for the 160 amp alternators on ebay. i will have more info tomorrow. If any one is interested please let me know, cuz i need one for my new system. thanks

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 7:17 PM
i would have been interested had i seen this about 10 hrs ago, i already bought one from ebay this morning, def a good deal though i checked with advance auto parts where i live and it is 150 just for a stock delco alternator, later

pic coming soon

"Live Life To The Fullest" "Customize Everything"
Friday, March 11, 2005 4:10 PM
let me know civic eater if u want to do this group purcahse for that alternator.. the one on this link :
180amp alt

this picture isnt for a 2002 cavalier (i have a 2002); so i talked to a guy name bobby over the phone about this; he said he can make me one in 3 days for 180 amps for $219 + shipping... he will also send in the box the computerized report that certifies that it will produce this amount of amps if put on a meter as well..

so if u can get me an amp for 180amps for cheaper than that; let me know.. because im also buying my yellow top optima battery this weekend as well.
thanks

Friday, March 11, 2005 5:42 PM
i'm running over 2500 watts rms on my stock alternator and my lights only dim when the system is at full tilt(highest i'll turn it up) at moderate volume it doesn't dim at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Saturday, March 12, 2005 8:19 AM
cavaliers have one of the higher output alt compared to most compact cars, just about the only thing chevy got right it seems. good luck on the aftermarket alt. most cheap aftermarket alternators actually put out less amperage at idle then the stock alternator. so if its a cheap alternator you may be worse off then keeping the stock alt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search