Can I build a High Amp Alternator? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can I build a High Amp Alternator?
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:35 PM
i have a 2.4 Z24, if i buy a rebuilt alternator from napa and take it to a alternator shop, will they be able to make it into a high amp alternator by changing the regulator, for example 205 amps. ebay has some, but they are only 160 amps and a 205 amp alternator is insanly expensive where i live

Re: Can I build a High Amp Alternator?
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:37 PM
they can rewind it for you...yes.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:19 AM
Ivan Dropulic wrote:i have a 2.4 Z24, if i buy a rebuilt alternator from napa and take it to a alternator shop, will they be able to make it into a high amp alternator by changing the regulator, for example 205 amps. ebay has some, but they are only 160 amps and a 205 amp alternator is insanly expensive where i live

The previous post is correct. The alternator can often be rewound for higher current output. Putting a regulator rated for higher current, than what the winding is rated for will burn up the alternator. A regulator monitors the operating parameters of the alternator and regulates the field to maintain a constant output voltage.

Generators (an alternator is just a specialized type of generator) work by moving lines of magnetic flux cutting a conductor to induce a potential in the conductor. Trying to get more current out of windings that cannot handle it will do the same thing as trying to plug 30 20A loads into a single wall socket at your house, something has to give. Thankfully it will be a breaker or fuse, or you could burn your house down. Generators are protected on the output, that is a small part of what the regulator does for your alternator.
Thursday, February 17, 2005 1:30 PM
If they are expensive where you live buy one off ebay or online

Im in the everybody club are you?
Friday, February 18, 2005 10:00 AM
i tried ebay, but they only have 160 amp alternators, thats only 55 more amps than stock, parts stores near my area sell 205 amp alternators.................so since it has to be rewound, it doens't make much sence me buying a new alternator, would it be better buying a cheap one from the wreakers and have them rebuild it???
Saturday, February 19, 2005 4:35 PM
ONLY 55 more amps, are you planning on powering your big screen TV with it. that's not a bad gain from factory unless you are planning on blowing your windows out with a phat amp along with your poor little ear drums
Saturday, February 19, 2005 6:45 PM
thats almost a 50% gain.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:59 AM
I have that 160 amp one from EBAY... I have noticed a HUGE difference in all my electronics. The alternator does have a whine to it when you take it above 4K tho... sounds like a supercharger spooling, so I am happy!

<b>"In this world, nothing is certain but death and taxes." </b>
Thursday, February 24, 2005 8:54 PM
i have a 1000 watt AB amp which sucks out a lot of power, AC, Power windows, tons of neons, Screen, ps2, etc.

To BOSSMAN: how long have you had the alternator? any other problems with it other than the whine and how noticible is it?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search