crossover troubles - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
crossover troubles
Monday, February 21, 2005 12:45 AM
A friend of mine bought some brand newFosgate components for his 2003 Dodge truck from Best Buy. After several problems (finding out it wasn't a factory 6.5 hole, waiting on brackets, Crutchfield sending the wrong brackets, making the brackets work, wrong size drill bits to make a tweeter hole in the door panel)

We finally get them put in and I finish up all the wiring. This is where I need some help. In his truck's factory wiring there is a solid green wire and a green with a red stripe wire. We had no diagrams to go off of, so I went with the thought "red is positive" as I've always done on every other system I've ever hooked up. Got them hooked up and turned the radio on. No sound. So I instantly think that the I've got the wires crossed. I go to grab the crossover and the speakers kick on. I start to jiggle the wires a little and they flicker on and off. OK now I'm thinking bad connection, so I disconnect and reconnect all the wires and nothing. Only thing that helps is if I move the wires and hold them, not really good when you've gotta drive. Tried switching the pos and neg wires and still nothing.

These are brand new components and already we've had more problems them any thing I've ever done. I'm wondering if the crossovers are just one of those freak items that came screwed up from the factory, or the fact that we're running them off the factory deck is a problem (I don't think this is it). Still not too sure what the problem is, so if any one has some experience with these components or this problem that'd be great if you could help out.

Re: crossover troubles
Monday, February 21, 2005 4:51 AM
Sounds like you got a loose connection somewhere, or the wire is shorting out against the metal door.

Monday, February 21, 2005 7:08 AM
All the wires are secured inside the door, they basically don't move except when they come out inside the door panel. I had a small screwdriver that I used to hold down the wire inside the crossover and that worked, but not very practical.

Monday, February 21, 2005 8:31 AM
a lot of times in those style/year pickups, the wires o rub agains the door jam on the door and truck itself. check the wiring going through tthe rubber boot into the car from the door. worst case, just run a new pair of wires into the car to the radio from the crossover.

Lookin' Stock - For Now!
Monday, February 21, 2005 2:20 PM
and you should get sound no matter wich way you have the - and + hooked up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, February 21, 2005 3:53 PM
OK I pulled the panel off to check for any bare wires.. none to be seen. I checked all the wire I ran plus the factory wiring and it's all secure with no cuts in the insulation. I'm pretty much positive it's a problem with the crossover not getting a good connection. I'm thinking about pulling them apart and looking at them but I don't think my friend would like that...

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 8:56 AM
seeing how you said that your connections are good and that you only get sound when you jiggle the crossover i would think it's a connection in the crossover itself. if you can't pull it apart then just take it back to best buy where your friend bought them and ask if they can exchange them for you. shouldn't be a problem if it's within the return policy or you have the service plan. but that's at least the way it sounds to me from what you're describing.

-john
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 1:50 PM
singular or plural. one crossover being bad is realistic, chances are allot slimmer that both crossovers you recieved are both bad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 2:28 PM
good point. damn you jason. why do i even bother posting? lol

-john
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 8:23 AM
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:56 PM
Well it's both crossovers, though one tends to work more often than the other.. I dunno what we're gonna do, I haven't had a day off yet and he's getting pissed with no music in his truck lol .

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 2:58 PM
woo!!!! i could be right!!! i have to mark this on my calandar.
and jason- you need to be around more. you're the man!

-john
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 3:18 PM
Simple check.

Reconnect the stock speakers and see if there is a problem. If there isnt then there either a problem with the new speaker(crossover or connection to it)

What wire inside the crossover are you talking about holding down? There shouldnt be any wires inside the crossover itself.

Can you take a picture?

"all your bass are belong to us"
Thursday, February 24, 2005 9:05 PM
Quote:

What wire inside the crossover are you talking about holding down? There shouldnt be any wires inside the crossover itself.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear on that.. I am talking about the input wire into the crossover, when I had that one down it works, when I let go, no music. I know some crossovers have a connection similar to an amp, screw down connections on the outside. These crossovers, you put the wire physically inside the crossover then tighten a screw to clamp it down.

I won't be able to take any pictures until Sunday at the earliest, but there's not really any thing to see... a bunch of wires going into a crossover. The link above shows the crossovers if you want to see what I'm talking about.

As soon as I get these crossover problems fixed, my friend wants me to install his touch screen, subs and amp.. yay more fun...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search