foam sheets - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
foam sheets
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 9:59 AM
hey guys, I have a question, I read about somebody using foam sheets instead of dynamite to insulate cuz its cheaper... now where would I get them??? (im in Montreal, Canada) and how would I stick or attach it to the inside of the trunk??? any instructions on how to do this???

Let me know...

Re: foam sheets
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 10:22 AM
Dynamite? You trying to blow your car up???? J/k. Dynamat. Anyways, foam sheets, you can get those at hardware stores, sometimes arts and craft stores have them too.

Beat it like it owes you money
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 10:25 AM
and what thickness would i need it or it comes in a standard size and also what would I use to make it stay or stick???

anyone have pictures or instructions...???
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 7:44 PM
ok to make it stick your gonna want some heavy duty adhesive, suggestion, bulldog(i think thats it, or liquid nails or any of it) adhesive, for the foam your local hardware store sells laminated foam an inch thick in huge sheets with aluminum lamination, on the other hand as i stated you can use roofing insulator(the pink stuff) its not the most fun to work with but its cheap, youll want to cover this with something else though to keep from rubbing it and the like. a relative of mine padded his trunk using stock matting ripped out of junkyard cars(the stock funky colored sound proofing, picked up alot of it and just pieced it all in their gluing it down with a spray on tile adhesive 11$ a can US but he said it held, personal experience doing headliner and vinyl paneling in my car stay away from automotive trim adhesives they dont hold worth a $H!*)

Doing the insulation with any sort of carpet or meldable soundproofing is quite easy, on the other hand it will be more difficult to use the foam($6 for an 8x5 sheet i think so its nice and cheap) youll want to first cover all the flat surfaces(trunk lid which youll want to glue it to, below your trunk carpeting if your not making custom amp mounts and the like) the more difficult parts comes when you have to do the sides(going by my 94 sunbird) you want to limit rattle as much as possible so you need to block off the brake lights as much as possible(basically run a flat sheet right along the inside of your wheel well from floor to roof, after the wheel well run it to the side then to the back corner, double layer it in front of lights and anything that may rattle(license plate spoiler mount) and now that you have it all laid out youll want to use silicone(my chosen sealer even though i hate the smell of it i use it in my trunk all the time) seal the it to the top and your bottom sheet this should leave it sturdy for the most part and sealed, then if your ambitios you can either carpet over it, or paint it)

you can do something else too, do basically what i said for the sides with cardboard and fiberglass over them, when thats done pull it off the cardboard, and fill the back with your chosen insulator(suggestion for this is roofing insulator) now the fun part, if it doesnt go all the way to the edges youll need to fiberglass it to the edges and seal it, that will get the sides done) for the floors you can use roofing insulator under a piece of cut plywood to fill the space, now in this plywood you can make cut outs and put a second peice under these cuts(giving a place to mount your amps in the trunk) for the trunk lid(this is where im not sure on my current plan) im planning on just using foam for this since my spoiler doesnt rattle too much and neither do my reverse lights)

note these may not be your type of thing and the fiberglassing design may actually cost you more than dynamat but its what has come from my brainstorming sessions
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search