Does this look like it'll work??? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Does this look like it'll work???
Monday, February 28, 2005 7:59 AM
Hey, I have finally finished my design, I have got all my specs required, anyways I have 2 (Thunder T9512-44) and I am putting them in a custom fibreglass box, with a 1" thick MDF back board, and a 1" thick MDF face board (which the subs will mount to) The port will have 1" MDF walls, and I the enclosure will be tuned to 35hz. I am asking if it will work or not. I want to use the back wall of the box, (which will also be 1" MDF) as one of the port walls. I have attached a drawing (to scale, 1 square = 1") It is a side view and I will be using the spare tire well for space too. Does my design look like it will work? The box volume is 4.9 cu.ft. with everything subtracted, including the subs and all braces and the port. Here are what I calculated to be correct for a tuning frequency of 35hz and for both subs to be sharing the same airspace and the same port. (there will only be one port)

Box Volume : 4.9cu.ft.

Port Volume: 0.3354cu.ft.

Port Length: 16.1"

Port Dimensions: 3" x 12"

Port Tuning: 35hz

F3: 26hz

Will this give me the tuning I want and is my F3 frequency correct? As I said all straight walls will be 1" thick MDF, and the rest will be fibreglass. I will use about 11 layers of Fibreglass. The subs will be mounted side by side with a 2" gap between them, and the port will be centered above the subs. I want to make sure that my design will work before I start construction. Everything is accurately proportioned. Please let me know if you have any comments or recommendations. Thank you very much.

P.S. The dotted outside line is the trunk lid, whereas the solid outside line is the trunk. Everything is to exact measurements.
http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/z22thunder/sub%20enclosure%201.jpg

Re: Does this look like it'll work???
Monday, February 28, 2005 8:01 AM
Oh and that little blue spike ball like thing in front of the sub is just a neon light. Ignore it.
Monday, February 28, 2005 12:06 PM
Cannot double check your calculations as I am at work but I dont see an F3 of 26hz. Not anechoicly at least. In car its likely though.

"all your bass are belong to us"
Monday, February 28, 2005 6:41 PM
What about the pic I attached, does my design look like it will work or will having one of the port walls as the main back wall effect anything? And what about the limited amount of air space infront of the subs? (between the face of the subs and the trunk lid)
P.S. My trunk will not be sealed off from the rest of the car.
P.P.S. As for the F3 that is jsut what the MTX techs told me, I kinda think its a little low myself too, but thats why I'm asking this question.
Thursday, March 03, 2005 7:50 AM
Anyone??? Does having one of the port walls as one of the enclosure walls effect anything?
Thursday, March 03, 2005 9:19 PM
no having one of your port walls as your back wall wont affect anything. i had a box like that and it worked excellent.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search