Did I buy the right wire? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Did I buy the right wire?
Friday, March 11, 2005 3:24 PM
I recently bought 2 amps one is an infinity 656 watt 111x 4 output, and the other is a 800 watt RMS Mono block audiobahn. I have got a 4 guage Ebay install kit coming and it is rated at 2000 watts, did I just waste my money?, what guage wire should I have bought?
the amps are going in my trunk by the way.

I counted the fusees on the amps come up with 120 amps the fuse that is coming with the kit is a 80 watt I am going to need to change out that fuse right? Any help, thanks bye

Re: Did I buy the right wire?
Friday, March 11, 2005 4:26 PM
use the kit you bought and then use a fused distrobution block to split to each of your amps. use the 80 watt fuse with the wire going to the 800 watt amp, and get another fuse for the other amp. not sure what size, someone else will probably correct me.

Friday, March 11, 2005 10:55 PM
Because you're going to be drawing a lot of power, and you want your amps to be able to recieve it (obviously), I reccomend running 1/0 ga. Wire from the battery to a distrobution block in the trunk, then run 4ga. to each amp. Put a 100+ amp fuse in the engine compartment, the closer to the battery the better. On the 4ga. wires, I reccomend a 60-80 amp fuse each. And remember, a short ground is a good ground.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
"Only on the outside, craka."
Saturday, March 12, 2005 6:22 AM
Thanks guys I am going to go with Bloodspiller, biger is better as they say lol, can I use 0 guage from a farm supply store? I live in MI you know what I mean lol, or is there a special wire I should be looking for?
Saturday, March 12, 2005 7:09 AM
Also what length should I get because I have 1.5 cap to go along with this setup so I am going to need alittle for that
Saturday, March 12, 2005 10:31 AM
honestly...4awg is plenty for the power you have...i would stick with that since you already bought it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Saturday, March 12, 2005 8:23 PM
you could use 10 guage, but your wire would get pretty hot. the bigger the wire the better. but 0/1 guage wire isn't cheap. i do have to agree, the kit you bought will be fine, and like they said, buy a block and fuse each individually. you can buy fuse holders that hold just the fuse, and you dont have to buy any big kit to get the fuse. any car audio store will sell the fuse holders and fuses. bigger is better, but to big can be useless. and i'm gona be using 0/1 guage wire from an old welder. its about 5 years old, and it dont work. so i used it for parts. i got about 25" of the stuff. now i just need to buy all the amp i want, so i have a reason to use it. wire is wire, i dont think it matters where you get it from. i dont think it needs to read Stinger, or Bloodspiller. it can say nothing. i think that the speaker kits have the different colours of outer coating for looks. all the wire comes from the same place to start out with. but if i am wrong, someone please corect me.

Travis Nobert
Travis Enterprise
Come on down to Evolution Audio in Edmonton Alberta, and I can HOOK YOU UP.
Saturday, March 12, 2005 9:19 PM
Travis N wrote:you could use 10 guage, but your wire would get pretty hot. the bigger the wire the better. but 0/1 guage wire isn't cheap. i do have to agree, the kit you bought will be fine, and like they said, buy a block and fuse each individually. you can buy fuse holders that hold just the fuse, and you dont have to buy any big kit to get the fuse. any car audio store will sell the fuse holders and fuses. bigger is better, but to big can be useless. and i'm gona be using 0/1 guage wire from an old welder. its about 5 years old, and it dont work. so i used it for parts. i got about 25" of the stuff. now i just need to buy all the amp i want, so i have a reason to use it. wire is wire, i dont think it matters where you get it from. i dont think it needs to read Stinger, or Bloodspiller. it can say nothing. i think that the speaker kits have the different colours of outer coating for looks. all the wire comes from the same place to start out with. but if i am wrong, someone please corect me.

Misinformation abounds.

"wire is wire" is a TOTAL misconception. AC cable will have fewer, larger strands of wire. DC cable will have *many* more, smaller strands of wire.

For instance, 1/0 AC (THHN) cable we sell at my work is 19-26 strands of cable.

1/0 DC cable from www.knukonceptz.com has 5145 strands of cable. more strands, more surface area, more conductivity.

For the amps you are running, you could easily get away with 1-2AWG from the battery to the distribution block, 4-8AWG from the block to the amps. The 1/0 cable from Knu Koncepts will carry 300Amps of power... you're well below that.

Sig removed because some people cry too much.
</a>Scott Heflin, President Team Forward Motion <a href="http://www.teamforwardmotion.com" target="_blank">TFM </a>
Sunday, March 13, 2005 8:29 AM
but you also have to remember you get to a certain point where having more strands isn't going to benifit you because your allreayd moving more amperage then needed. people always say bigger is better, but once you get to a certain size, going bigger isnt going to gain you any benifit.

yes that 1/0 welding wire has less strands, and maybe a knuconcepts 1/0 wire can handle more amps, but if its based on a system that realistically will run fine on 4 guage, there should be no problem with welding wire. its all based on the individual system because every system is diffrent.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 10:33 PM
the welding wire i got was pushing well over 300 amps AC, when they used a certain welder meant to weld two pieces of metal that was over 3/4", the stinger used oxygen to help in the welding process the wire would flex. the welder was pushing out all the power it could just to weld these I beams together. the rods were i think if i remember correctly about 5/8" to 7/8" thick. and in welding you use rods the same thickness as the metal you are welding. so i think that the wire i got will do nicely. and wire is just like an exhaust system. bigger is better, but to big is worse. if you have a vehicle that is pushing only 300 hp, then 4" exhaust tubing is WAY to big. you will not get enough back pressure to make the engine run well. so you will lose HP, and wreck your engine at the same time. granted a stereo wants as little resistance as possible, but to little wont help anything. i think I'm rambling. and i can argue this topic for ever, but i think I'm a little right, and possibly a lot wrong.

Travis Nobert
Travis Enterprise
Thursday, March 17, 2005 5:38 AM
you'll be fine w/ the kit...just get a bigger fuse

Thursday, March 17, 2005 5:39 AM
bah, disregard that last part...
what i meant to say was...

'you'll be fine w/ the kit...just get a distribution block'

BLAh!

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:43 PM
LOL

Travis Nobert
Travis Enterprise
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 10:22 PM
While the amps my run fine on the power 4ga is able to transmit, remember that around half of the power in an amplifier is lost to heat. The same concept applies to wires, only not nearly as drastic. Any wire will have resistance, unless you've discovered room temperature superconductors. If that is the case, you can buy whatever wire you want, and by the way you owe me money. Otherwise, having the wire a bit bigger than you need is a good choice because it will be able to transmit the electricity with less resistance than smaller guage wire. I'm not saying that 4ga will not work, or that 1/0 ga will be stupendously better. I'm saying that for the best performance, and for easy expandability if you want to upgrade you amps or add one, running a larger wire will probably be a good Idea. I'm only running about 250 watts, but I ran 4ga because I know that the amp will get all the power it wants to take, and I can upgrade later.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:44 AM
Bloodspiller wrote:Because you're going to be drawing a lot of power, and you want your amps to be able to recieve it (obviously), I reccomend running 1/0 ga. Wire from the battery to a distrobution block in the trunk, then run 4ga. to each amp. Put a 100+ amp fuse in the engine compartment, the closer to the battery the better. On the 4ga. wires, I reccomend a 60-80 amp fuse each. And remember, a short ground is a good ground.
u think hes drawing a lot of power

Thursday, March 24, 2005 12:22 PM
I start my definition of a lot of power around 1000 watts. Thats when I start to notice the beginnings if Induction noise on signal cables if they aren't run right.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search