can i drive 6 speakers with just one headunit? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
can i drive 6 speakers with just one headunit?
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 10:49 PM
hey all, im running a pioneer 2300 headunit, which claims to be 50wattsx4 (but im pretty sure its only pumping 22 watts per channel if my rudimentary knowledge is correct) the amp is a gm-4000f which is 300watts total, and this is my current setup ,

its crude but its easier than trying to explain it in words

anyway, my question is this: can i run 2 more speakers (either 6.5s or 6x9s) hooked up just to the headunit without too much loss in quality or overall loudness in the system?
anybody have any other suggestions? im pretty sure i could just add 2 speakers to the amp, but i think i would lose some oomph.

Die Strasse gehoert mir allein. Ich habe genug Zeuern dafuer bezahlt.

Re: can i drive 6 speakers with just one headunit?
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:02 PM
pic did not work, here it is

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:20 PM
you should be able to. the RCA cables are low-line, meaning that they are data only, no power runs through them.

the headunit isn't running those 6x9's, the amplifier is.

figure out the wattage of the front speakers, and you can drop in rear speakers that match the difference. you can still run speakers off of the headunit because those lines that are unused carry power.

or you can amp all of your speakers. or run the 6 x9's off of those rear wires, then use the RCA and Amp to run some subwoofers.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 4:20 AM
id suggest amping a pair of 6.5's in the front and running the 6x9's off the headunit power.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 10:57 AM
sndsgood wrote:id suggest amping a pair of 6.5's in the front and running the 6x9's off the headunit power.

just like i did... sounds great

no reason to only amp ur rears....

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 8:33 PM
ok a little more info

the headunit only has one set of preouts and i lost the harnesses to wire directly from the headunit to the amp, which is why i have the current setup.

i only had the rear speakers amped to begin with because the front rattles, even after having installed dynamat around the speaker, the window crank knob rattles unbearably, i checked to see if the speakers touch the panel and it doesnt, and all the screws are in place, so i am kindof lost as to how to solve the rattle. Amping just the rear speakers cut this out considerably.

also the headunit has a FIE(Front Image Enhancement) setting which to my knowledge plays the mids and highs on the front speakers and the lows on the rear speakers, this seems to produce decent overall sound quality from all speakers.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search