led help - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
led help
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 2:55 PM
Ok, I wired some LED's into my car. I used wires that came off of the stock dimemr switch to power my LED's. Now to my problem. The LED's illuminate opposite of the other lights. If the other ones are dim, the LED's are brught and vice versa. Anyone know why?

Re: led help
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 4:08 PM
your car uses whats called a grounding dimmer....it varies the resistance to ground to brighten or dim your dash lights. If you wired your LED's to the grey wire, that is the dimmer wire, which is the WRONG wire to tie into because it is only a ground wire from your dash lights. Tie into the solid Brown wire off of your headlight switch or in your radio harness, that wire is the illumination wire that feeds 12 volts to your lights in the dash and park lights as well.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you tried!
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:30 PM
ok, so i find the brown wire in the radio harness and run the positive off of that and then i ground it to the chassis and they will dim with the regular lights and everything will be good, right?

Thursday, March 24, 2005 6:12 AM
Hook up the positive of the LED's to the brown illumination wire (( be carefull, there are two brown wires there, one is a speaker wire, use a DMM and turn the park lights on, and the right brown wire will show 12 volts )) and then ground the LED's to ground.
When you turn your park lights on, your LED's will come on......it is not healthy for those aftermarket LED's to dim them...

If you really want them to dim, then leave the positive on the brown wire and hook up the negative to the grey dimmer wire. Then they will dim when you move your switch.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you tried!
Thursday, March 24, 2005 2:39 PM
ok, thanks man, I'l probably do that tomorrow or something

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search