high and low beams on together? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
high and low beams on together?
Sunday, February 13, 2005 10:35 AM
im sure this has been braught up before, maybe someone can leave me a link to where i can read up on it. i basically want to be able to turn on my high and low beams together when i turn my high beams on. we all know that our cavalier high beams arent the greatest and holding the lever back a bit turns on hi and low's and that works great. and im sure thers a way to do this, anyone have a diagram or anything that oculd help me out?

parting out my built and boosted 97 z24 so4x4.com/cavy.html for pics and a parts list

Re: high and low beams on together?
Sunday, February 13, 2005 2:39 PM
get a rubber band and wrap it around the lever and then wrap it around something else so it holds the lever in place

j/k, i'd like to know also..

Sunday, February 13, 2005 2:51 PM
This post might help...........

If you are good with electrical diagrams.......

I would like to do this also
Wiring Diagram
Sunday, February 13, 2005 2:54 PM
Well Ive done it, Simply ran a relay from the highbeam wire at each harness to the low beam, So when the Highs were on so were the lows, but when the lows were on the highs wernt.

However, dont do it, when it stays on like that for about 5min, the bulb overheats and blows glass and all..both of mine blew from it. The gasses in the bulb wernt made to handel that much heat and they expand and causes the bulb to blow.

Bes Bet is to Mount a second 55w bulb somewhere relativly near the OEM bulb and run the relay to it, dunno how it will work with your pattern tho.

Just go with HIDs lol

Sunday, February 13, 2005 3:17 PM
lol thakns for the info man, i was thinking if i cant get this to work ill just buy a nice set of driving lights, something really bright for twisty roads at nite time

parting out my built and boosted 97 z24 so4x4.com/cavy.html for pics and a parts list
Monday, February 14, 2005 5:01 PM
Hey judgez24, since you have a 1997, you have two different headlight bulbs, 9005 and 9006, right? Newer Cavaliers have one 9007 bulb, there is no way to do to do it with over heating the bulb(I don't think). I had a 1995 Cavi. and bought a Painless Wiring headlight relay, it drew power directly from your alternator and was one of the best things I bought for that car. I had it for 2 years and never melted anything. Check this link, I know it says it's for GM full-size trucks, but they have the same headlights as you, it is the same thing. I hope this helps. Click on Headlight & Auxiliary Relays.

http://www.painlesswiring.com/catalogframe.htm
Monday, February 14, 2005 7:48 PM
awsome, thanks alot for th elink bud, i appreciate it.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:20 AM
FireBeer Mayhem wrote:Hey judgez24, since you have a 1997, you have two different headlight bulbs, 9005 and 9006, right? Newer Cavaliers have one 9007 bulb, there is no way to do to do it with over heating the bulb(I don't think). I had a 1995 Cavi. and bought a Painless Wiring headlight relay, it drew power directly from your alternator and was one of the best things I bought for that car. I had it for 2 years and never melted anything. Check this link, I know it says it's for GM full-size trucks, but they have the same headlights as you, it is the same thing. I hope this helps. Click on Headlight & Auxiliary Relays.

so you got the kit for 88 - 98 gm trucks including trucks with drl? #30802?

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:29 PM
I had a 1995 Cavi, it didn't have drl's . I bought it out of a Jeg's catalog back 2 years ago. I wish I could hook you up with a part number but I have no idea now. Send an e-mail to Painless, maybe they have a part number.
Thursday, February 17, 2005 6:49 AM
yeah seems like a good idea. thanks again bud, this will make night time driving alot more enjoyable.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search