Help me decide on best drag racing setup - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help me decide on best drag racing setup
Thursday, February 10, 2005 4:49 PM
Well I went to the drag stip last night and I got hooked. Anyways, im looking for some wheels that I can use just for the strip. I did some searching around and came up with some possiblities. If u guys can help me out by telling me which option would be best or tell me an option which can help me improve my times.

I plan on getting some BFGoodrich g-Force T/A drag racials with some 14 inch steel wheels. and some steel wheels for the rear with some cheap rubber. Would the cheap rubber in the back slow me down or not make a difference.

Or I was thinking of getting some 15 steel wheels with the g-force. and 15inch in the rear.

I also would appreciate it if someone would tell me which g-forces to get. Like the number part. Thanks again guys. And please don't type "search" cause I already did. So if you don't want to answer then don't. Let someone else help.

Re: Help me decide on best drag racing setup
Thursday, February 10, 2005 6:53 PM
If I was you man, I would go with the 14's. Having a taller sidewall will help out a little bit with traction off the line. As for cheaper tires in the back, I wouldn't think that it would make a difference, but I don't really know, so maybe someone will have some better advice on that than I do.

Tim

"Hey man is that a Cavalier?" "Yeah." What you got in it?" "It's stock." "Oh."
Friday, February 11, 2005 4:23 PM
The triditional idea for Drag racing is the tire not being used for traction (In our case the rear tires) should be as Skinny as possible to present less rolling resistance.

You can get drag Radials...Just get 4 tires the same size. Don't be a popeye and go all Drag race pro for a Low 15 with spare tires in the rear.

1991 3.1L V6 Sunbird LE
15.365@88.52
Full Interior...3-Speed Automatic.

Satisfied Customer of:
POWERSHOP PORTING SERVICE
Friday, February 11, 2005 4:59 PM
I found out that azenis are a stock cars best friend.
Easy 2.1 60ft. 3000 rpms, pop and theirs the 60 ft marker

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Friday, February 11, 2005 7:56 PM
Also... you're not going to want the steelies. Get some nice light racing alloys.

Saturday, February 12, 2005 8:05 AM
Why not go with the steelies? Any links to any nice racing alloys?

Saturday, February 12, 2005 9:27 AM
Weight mainly but, they are cheaper.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Saturday, February 12, 2005 10:56 AM
You could go with some nice lightwieght aftermarket wheels... Or stick with your 17's... Use a BFGoodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial in a 225 45 17 or a 205 40 17
Depending on what size your running now...An improved version of the worlds first DOT-approved street legal drag racing tire. New tread compound delivers more peak performance during launch, especially for Sport Compact applications. Maximum straight line traction. Fully Streetable. So you can run from light to light when a honda rolls up on you... Or down the 1320 anytime. And you could have a set of those on the front with a BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT tire on the rear. Simular tread design as the front, just less of it, and a different tread compound. Also has deep, wide grooves for speed water evacuation and reduce hydroplaning. This would be a good tire setup for your car as far as drag radials. Instead of spending a few hundred on smaller light race wheels, and drag tires, keeping your 17's and just changing tires will be a worth while change. I don't know what you ran 15.561 E/T on but if it was on your 17's.... This tire deal will work for you.

goin to a smaller steel wheel.. PROBALLY will wieght about the same as your 17's... So you can stick with them.

Dwn Dak - The Dodge Difference
Saturday, February 12, 2005 12:05 PM
Ya I ran that time with my 17s with some venturi tires or whatever I got from wheelmax. The only reason that I want to get some steelies is because I don't want to have to drive with the drag radials on all the time. Its my daily driver. So I was thinking of just keeping my 17s the way they are and getting some steelies just for the track with good tires on them. Im planning on going with some bfgoodrich t/a drag radials and 15" steelies. I think that would be a pretty good setup.

Saturday, February 12, 2005 2:23 PM
Dwn Dak wrote:goin to a smaller steel wheel.. PROBALLY will wieght about the same as your 17's... So you can stick with them.

A smaller diameter wheel of the exact same weight will actually be easier to spin and could improve times. The further the weight is from the center of rotation, the further it has to travel and the larger the effect is.

I didn't think you were trying to save money here. I thought you just wanted the best setup for drag. That's why I suggested not using steelies. An allow wheels will be lighter and reducing rotating mass is the best place you can possibly reduce weight.

Saturday, February 12, 2005 2:56 PM
Thanks guys. One last question. Would it be okay to just put some crap tires for the steelies in the rear for the track. I wont drive on the street just on the track.

Sunday, February 13, 2005 6:03 PM
I'm using a pair of 15" Motegi Trak Lites w/ BFGoodrich g-Force T/A drag radials up front and a pair of 14" spares in the rear for my drag setup, and it seems to work perfectly for me. Just to let you guys know, the Motegi rims I am using only weigh 10 lbs. each.

Monday, February 14, 2005 2:27 PM
why not just use a set of sunbird wheels ? they are pretty light, 14 inches and you can get them for under 100$ at the junker !!!

Thursday, August 03, 2017 5:23 AM
Steel wheels with cheap rubber will slow you down
Thursday, August 03, 2017 1:09 PM
so will responding to posts that are 12 years old!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search