HOW TO - Recover Your Visors - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HOW TO - Recover Your Visors
Thursday, August 06, 2009 11:02 PM
Hey,
This is a How to on recovering your visors in your car.

For this project you'll need...
Spray glue (I used 3M Trim Adhesive)
Hot glue and gun
T20 bit and driver
Small flathead screwdriver
Iron and ironing board
Marker
Utility knife/exacto/breakaway/razor blade, etc (optional but helpful)
Popsicle sticks and small clamps (optional)
Scissors
Fabric you want to recover with
Extra visor used for template
Your visors

This how to involves using the factory fabric as a backing. If you have a fabric that is padded already, you should be able to follow this writeup pretty much the same.

Remove your visors using the T20 bit and driver. 3 screws on each visor and they should pop down.

Next you need to separate the visor. Start on the edge where the visor is somewhat flexible, it seems to be easiest to start here.

Just slowly work your way around the whole mirror by gently pulling apart the two halves.

When you get it all apart it should look like this.

You can now see how the mirror is held on and how the swivel/tilt mechanism is held in.

Just pull out the swivel/tilt mechanism. Take care where you set it because it comes greased.

Next thing to remove is the mirror. Take a small screwdriver on the metal clips right next to the rod in the middle and pry up. Work one side a little, then the other, and so on until it pops off. Don't lose it.

Then just tilt the mirror up at the bottom and pull down.

You have a couple options for the mirror. You can leave it stock and put it back when you're done, you can separate the pieces out and paint them, or you can put something else on or nothing at all.
The disassembly for painting is super easy. The hardest part is getting the mirror out. You can take the lower tabs on the bottom of the back and either bend then or break them off and with a little bending, you can slide the mirror out.

I did this all using another visor as template so the instructions after this will follow with that.

Take the visors that will be staying in your car and get them ready. DON'T PULL THE FABRIC OFF.
If you have an airbag sticker you should be able to leave it. I lucked out and one that I had pulled off easy and one I got most pulled off. If anything this just ensures there isn't any flat smooth places when you're all done.
Also, if any of the fabric is peeling off the cardboard you need to fix it now.

You can use hot glue or some of that spray glue (I just sprayed some onto a paper plate and applied with a popsicle stick). To dry, I use two popsicle sticks, one on each side, and small clamps to hold even pressure while it dries. It doesn't take long. Just make sure it isn't so saturated with glue that you end up gluing the popsicle stick to it also.

On your extra visor, pull the stock fabric off taking care not to stretch or rip the fabric. After you're done you will have a pattern.

Now you need to transfer your pattern to your new fabric. I used a permanent marker on the back. For the most part it doesn't have to be perfect but it does need to be close.

Cut out the shape taking care to leave about an extra 1/2" on every side.
The one place that does matter is this part.. Everything pretty much lines up with this so get it pretty accurate and cut it pretty close to the line.

Now this next part many of you may need to find a lady friend...but you need to iron your fabric to get any and all wrinkles out before starting any further. I used a damp cloth over the top to keep the iron from burning the suede.

Now you can "test drive" the fabric. For the most part it needs to line up like this and allow you room to pull the fabric around on all edges. Now is also a good time to practice the corners.

This is the glue I used.

Follow the directions on the can for your spray glue and spray the parts.

I didn't have time to take pics between spraying and fully wrapped because of the glue wanting to dry, but this is pretty much what you should end up with.

If the corners are too bulky you can just slice the bulges down with a razor blade, etc.

If you have anywhere that doesn't want to stick and stay down you can fix it exactly the same as before.

The hard part is done.
If you are putting the mirrors back on, take a razor blade etc. from the back and poke holes where the mirror attachments will go through.
Now just put the mirror back on, just reverse the order of taking them off. I opted to hot glue those clips as well as pushing them down just to make sure it didn't come off. Then put the swivel hinge thing back in.

Take and put a layer of hot glue around the edge of the visor, making sure none will show, and push the two halves together.

TADA!!

Hopefully this helps some people out!

-Seth

Re: HOW TO - Recover Your Visors
Friday, August 07, 2009 8:25 AM
nice write up,you did a real good job on those

Friday, August 07, 2009 9:58 AM
Awesome write-up man, thanks. I've been wanting to change my interior for a while and just hadn't gotten around to learning about how to do it yet, this will definitely help me out. Looks like a run down to the fabric store is in my near future
Friday, August 07, 2009 10:19 AM
Good stuff man.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Friday, August 07, 2009 10:56 AM
Nice write up!

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Friday, August 07, 2009 11:11 AM
tha_prowler wrote:Nice write up!

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Friday, August 07, 2009 6:40 PM
Thanks everybody!

-Seth

Friday, August 07, 2009 10:35 PM
Friday, December 10, 2010 5:36 PM
Bumpin this since I found it helpful and we've had a lot of wrapping going on lately.

Friday, December 10, 2010 9:19 PM
Nice turtorial.
I wish mine were do simple to do. Mine are the old sewn on type.
Wednesday, January 05, 2011 3:09 PM
I'm going to do my old style (1988) like you did and just glue the cover on. I took off the old fabric and found that mine has a thin pasteboard outer layer that goes over the hardboard in the middle. So I can easily just glue the fabic to the outer pasteboard and then fold it over the inner hardboard and glue one to the other.
I never would have thought of this, had I not seen this tutorial. Perfect solution for my needs

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 10:30 PM
Good good, I'm glad it helped.

-Seth

Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:28 AM
Thanks for bumping it, since the visors were the only thing keepoing me away from doing the head liner.

Wizkid, did you paint the mount too or did you go find some in black?

Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:47 PM
Can we bump this to a "sticky"? Great tut. This can also help with those who need to redo the headliner too. Just my thought on it.
Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:59 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:Bumpin this since I found it helpful and we've had a lot of wrapping going on lately.

im hoping to wrap my entire trailblazer interior this summer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, January 06, 2011 2:24 PM
I like that more than spray dieing them like I did mine!

Speaking of Stickies, there should almost be another 3 or 4 up there, or atleast someone archive all of this and save the pictures. There are a few threads that are really old and helpful but alot of times the pics are missing...

Either way beauty of a write up

had a blown ecotec swapped 2000 cavy, now just an 02 Grand Am, and a 74 BMW 2002...
Thursday, January 06, 2011 5:45 PM
sndsgood wrote:
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:Bumpin this since I found it helpful and we've had a lot of wrapping going on lately.

Suede?

Thursday, January 06, 2011 5:52 PM
You mentioned that you didn't have time to take pictures because you were afraid the glue would dry.

In fact with that type of glue drier is better. In the past I've sprayed out the glue on my (in this case) sub box and carpet and left it overnight, then wrapped the box in the morning.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:59 PM
Sunfiretun3r wrote:Thanks for bumping it, since the visors were the only thing keepoing me away from doing the head liner.

Wizkid, did you paint the mount too or did you go find some in black?
I painted them. Scuff with a scotchbrite, a little adhesion promoter, and then some black spraypaint (I can't remember what kind I used)

Ty Petersen wrote:I like that more than spray dieing them like I did mine!

Either way beauty of a write up
Thanks. And ya, I dyed mine once too, didn't work out at all, haha.

bradsk88 wrote:You mentioned that you didn't have time to take pictures because you were afraid the glue would dry.

In fact with that type of glue drier is better. In the past I've sprayed out the glue on my (in this case) sub box and carpet and left it overnight, then wrapped the box in the morning.
I don't think I could have gotten away with that with this, maybe though. I sprayed it on both the suede and visor and let it tack for about 15 minutes and it was getting too dry in some places. Especially the edges because I had to make sure and not put on so much glue that it would get under and on the good side of the suede, if that makes sense.

-Seth

Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:47 AM
I covered mine perfectly using this method. I'm not sure when GM went to the pasteboard over the hardboard with the sewn on type, but if yours has the same, this works great. Of course if 100% accurate appearance is important in your restoration, this will not do. If you are wanting a nice appearing 'only an expert judge will know the difference' visor, by all means consider this. It is very simple, doesn't take long and comes out beautiful.
Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:22 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:
sndsgood wrote:

Suede?

yeah most likely. or a suede/leather combo. but leaning towards all suede.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Friday, January 14, 2011 8:36 AM
sndsgood wrote:
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:
sndsgood wrote:

Suede?

yeah most likely. or a suede/leather combo. but leaning towards all suede.

Does you TB already have leather in the door panels? Ours does and it has cloth seats. I found that weird.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:59 AM
figure the door panels are just winyl wrapped. doubt mine is leather. trying not to look at things to closely because i need to get some bills paid off and wife said i have to finish up the sunfire before i can do more work to the tb lol

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:37 AM
Geez. I guess it probably is vinyl. Why would GM use real leather.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:51 PM
Ah.. this brings back memories. Definitely worth doing!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search