automatic LEDs - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
automatic LEDs
Friday, April 02, 2010 7:48 PM
Anyone know what LED bulb type I would need to use for the auto shift display. (2002 cavalier). Any pics? Thanks!

—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

Re: automatic LEDs
Saturday, April 03, 2010 5:47 AM
Could you make one from a radio shack LED and a resistor ?......just a suggestion

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Saturday, April 03, 2010 10:57 AM
Hmm. I thought it would be as easy as soldering an LED in place of the light that's in there. Don't know much about LEDs. Is there a certain type of resister and LED I would need to get, and how would I go about installing these? Thanks!

Saturday, April 03, 2010 12:11 PM
Ive seen stuff like this done but not sure what resistor to use.....actually..if you ask radio shack( as long as they have some one that's knows their ass from a hole in the ground ) they could tell you...there may be a chart or something out there that tells you...check their web site...maybe they suggest the right one....ooooorrrrrr some one on here who will be kind hearted enough to hook you up.......I'll look today and see what i can find...

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Saturday, April 03, 2010 2:17 PM
Aren't the 00+ indicators already LED? Is yours burned out, or are you looking to change it?

Saturday, April 03, 2010 3:14 PM
Are they? not sure. They are pretty dim, and boring imo. I was wanting to make them brighter, and was going to go with a blue color. I went ahead and picked up a 12v led panel from autozone that is a really bright blue color. Gonna try it out and see how it goes. I'll take pics when it's dark and post.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 5:34 PM
Just got the LED panel installed. The original was not led. Just a plain bulb. I'll post pictures in a couple hours when it's not dark.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 7:17 PM
Here we go. Turned out nicely I think. I'm gonna add another panel to make the lighting a little more even.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 8:01 PM
just go to the yard get the indiglo strip/transformer unit from a chysler sebring/stratus shift bezel, done.
Saturday, April 03, 2010 9:15 PM
Next I'm gonna do the dome light with one of these panels. They are BRIGHT.

Sunday, April 04, 2010 4:02 AM
I like ...looks good..keep posting updates !!

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Sunday, April 04, 2010 7:13 PM
Didn't get a chance to do anything today. Had Easter at the parents for my son. Hopefully tomorrow I can get another LED panel to even out the lighting. I'm also gonna sand down and paint the panel with the shift indicators. (gonna get some sticker letters and numbers and peel off after I paint, so it's still clear underneath.)

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 7:25 PM
So, my painting idea didn't go as planned... I pretty much $%^&ed up the the plastic indicator, so I ordered another lol. not gonna paint, just gonna add another LED panel to fix the lighting.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 6:28 PM
Here we go. Took out the large panel and put in a smaller one. Was able to move it down further to center the lighting.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 6:29 PM
Oops wrong pic.

Monday, April 12, 2010 2:12 PM
That came out really good... nice work!

Monday, April 12, 2010 4:42 PM
Thanks!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 7:23 PM
The second one is definitely much better. Nice clear letters, without the major glare and uneven illumination. Very nice.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:28 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:The second one is definitely much better. Nice clear letters, without the major glare and uneven illumination. Very nice.

Thanks! Couldn't agree with you more. It helps that the new panel doesn't have the letters all scratched letting unwanted light through also. I may be installing the larger LED panel in the dome light. I'll let you know how it goes.

Monday, September 13, 2010 2:40 AM
so did you do all these things?
also how did you take apart the shift panel?
Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:19 AM
i just used a 194 led from sueprbrightleds.com i used white just to brighten it up some and ordered the high output led. works good and was less than 5 bucks in my 05 cav and same for my dome light used a white led, really brightened it up

Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:54 PM
If you want to change out your dome light check out Oznium.com, they've got great service and super bright and cheap LEDs. They make led dome lights that will just plug straight in your original light socket without having to rewire anything.
Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:56 PM
Off topic: Will the light-up panel snap into the 95-99 center console?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search