push button starter - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
push button starter
Monday, October 18, 2010 7:11 PM
i was wondering if someone could tell me an easy way to wire a push button starter for my 95 cavi?

Re: push button starter
Monday, October 18, 2010 7:32 PM
10seconds on Google

That guide is pretty universal. If you need help with anything specific ask away. If you pick up a Haynes manual it will have the wiring diagrams for the ignition circuit and will tell you what color the wires you want are. I've never done this but I don't think it will be too complicated.
Monday, October 18, 2010 7:53 PM
Nice try but that type of DIY switch doesn't work with our cars without the key inserted and turned all the way, thereby rendering the push-button pointless.
Monday, October 18, 2010 11:24 PM
Jacob Gahimer wrote:an easy way

I know how, but it sure aint easy.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:10 PM
what way is that? any input would help greatly
Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:28 PM
RoboticPotPie wrote:Nice try but that type of DIY switch doesn't work with our cars without the key inserted and turned all the way, thereby rendering the push-button pointless.

that's how all push buttons work on this platform. otherwise, you get in, push button, car starts, can't turn steering wheel.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:34 PM
i have read that you can just run a wire from the starter solenoid to the push button and then a wire from the battery to the push button. will that work for our cars? i dont care if i have to have the keys in the ignition.
Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:56 PM
Quote:

i have read that you can just run a wire from the starter solenoid to the push button and then a wire from the battery to the push button

Yes, you CAN do that on our cars - and it will spin the starter - but without the ignition on it wouldn't fire up. The somewhat proper way to do this is outlined in the previous link.

I feel it would be pointless to have to insert keys into the ignition - to unlock the steering wheel but not start it...

You could remove the lock cylinder and just turn the ignition the "run" and leave it there. Of course disconnecting the electrical side of things, as to not kill your battery.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:59 PM
is there a link or a diagram of the way u said how to do it?
Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:21 PM
This is actually super easy the way that you want to do it. (I was considering an actual functional 'start' button, not just a crank button. If you want to do this, just go buy a push start button from your local auto parts store. It will have two main wires, one will go to the constant wire in your ignition harness, the other will go to your starter wire in the ignition harness, so when you press it it sends (+) to that starter motor and cranks.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:38 PM
bradsk88 wrote:This is actually super easy the way that you want to do it. (I was considering an actual functional 'start' button, not just a crank button. If you want to do this, just go buy a push start button from your local auto parts store. It will have two main wires, one will go to the constant wire in your ignition harness, the other will go to your starter wire in the ignition harness, so when you press it it sends (+) to that starter motor and cranks.

i already have the button with those leads on it. if you own a cavi, could u tell me which colors those wire would be plz?

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:35 PM
Constant 12v is red.
Starter is yellow.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:06 AM
thx for the help!

didnt realize how much potential my cavalier had when i first bought it...
Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:02 PM
Let us know if u get this working
Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:09 PM
bradsk88 wrote:This is actually super easy the way that you want to do it. (I was considering an actual functional 'start' button, not just a crank button. If you want to do this, just go buy a push start button from your local auto parts store. It will have two main wires, one will go to the constant wire in your ignition harness, the other will go to your starter wire in the ignition harness, so when you press it it sends (+) to that starter motor and cranks.

That's the way I did it 10 years ago when my key switch went bad and wouldn't work in the start position.
So I took the yellow and red wires that I found through the service manual, went under the steering console, and wired in a pushbutton switch to turn over the engine.
I still have to turn the key all the way over to the start position to make the engine actually crank but if you don't do this in a proper sequence, the car will start but shut right off in about 5 seconds because of the pass lock feature.
I've had several people try this with no success unless they hit it just right.

I also like this feature because when the car has been sitting up for some time like it has the last couple of years, I can crank the engine over to let the oil run throughout the engine before I actually start it up. That's nice to do because it saves on the wear and tear of the initial start up when it's been sitting up for some time.

But yeah, do what brads88 said and you'll be good.
Btw, here's where I put my switch so the passenger can't touch it while I'm driving. There's also a safety cover for it so it won't be pushed on accident. Take that into consideration too.

You'll see the switch by the left vent. Good luck with it.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:27 PM
Misnblu wrote:

That's the way I did it 10 years ago when my key switch went bad and wouldn't work in the start position.
So I took the yellow and red wires that I found through the service manual, went under the steering console, and wired in a pushbutton switch to turn over the engine.
I still have to turn the key all the way over to the start position to make the engine actually crank but if you don't do this in a proper sequence, the car will start but shut right off in about 5 seconds because of the pass lock feature.

I also like this feature because when the car has been sitting up for some time like it has the last couple of years, I can crank the engine over to let the oil run throughout the engine before I actually start it up. That's nice to do because it saves on the wear and tear of the initial start up when it's been sitting up for some time.

Btw, here's where I put my switch so the passenger can't touch it while I'm driving. There's also a safety cover for it so it won't be pushed on accident. Take that into consideration too.

so u turn the key over to the start position then hit the button? how did u tap into the wires underneath the dash?

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:58 PM
Misnblu wrote:

I couldn't remember if passlock needed to see the voltage drop at crank or not, guess it does.
You could always get your hands on a pljx and have it turn on with your ingition and triggered with the starter button, bypassing passlock.

I alluded to a 'very hard' way to do this at the start. Idea being that first you wire up a remote starter (preferably viper), have the start button sent a (-) pulse to the viper's remote start activation wire, get one of those aftermarket transponder starter kills and hook the receiver unit up in the center console next to your pocket, wire the remote start to turn on from the transponder unit and bypass the shift lock actuator below the steering column. Physically disable the steering wheel lock (break it). Then you'd have essentially a nissan style startup button, just a lot of work.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:05 PM
I'll be honest with you I can't remember the full details of the hookup since it was 10 years ago and had to do this mod so I could drive the car and I was a cheapskate that didn't want to spend the 58 bucks to replace the bad cylinder.
But if I remember correctly, I hope, I just spliced into the wires because the contacts of the switch were no longer making that contact to turn over the engine when you turned the key all the way to start.
Like I say I may have also cut the wires and tied the switch in from there but can't remember that far back.

What I'd suggest is that you check out your electrical wiring in the Chiltons manual to see how the key switch is wired and go from there.
You already know that the yellow and red wire are used and can be found under the steering column but the red wire was a bit tough to gain access to do the wiring needed for the remote switch.

Also, I'd recommend that you get a momentary switch that's at least rated for 15amps of continuous use like I did. It's a momentary on switch that most electronic stores will have. Make sure you get the rating at 125vac and not in DC volts for the best current rating you can get for your setup.
If you don't have a Chiltons manual, there's a sticky on the JBO with the information to down load it for free. If not, let me know and I'll give you the link.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:17 PM
misnblu, where did u get your lip kit from?

Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:29 PM
RKSport 'Import Fighter' side skirts and RKSport lip kit for the 2.2 base front bumper.
Hope that helps.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search