Manual shift boot in a 3 speed. - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Manual shift boot in a 3 speed.
Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:44 AM
First I would like to say I am a NEWBIE! but I did my research on here as best I could (didn't really want to search 1000's of posts for something that can be answered pretty easily).

I have a 98 Sunfire SE Coupe with the 3 speed manual. A while back the shift interlock cable (which makes it so you have to push the button on the shifter to move it) got screwed up. This was nice, because I can now use a manual shift knob. I am now considering shortening up my shifter (to clear my in dash DVD player better in park) and would like to switch to the manual trans shift boot and ebrake covers. Anyone have one laying around or know where I can get one? I searched on eBay but only found them with the entire console attached. The local junkyards don't have any manual 95 - 03 Sunfires sitting around. HELP!

And before you flame me and go crazy (because I saw the guy with the skull shifter... LOL) I am not doing it for anything other than the clearance and the manual boot to make it look cleaner. I AM NOT SLAMMIN GEARS. I like my transmission. Hehe

----

Re: Manual shift boot in a 3 speed.
Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:48 AM
*edit

"3 speed manual" should say "3 speed automatic"

Wow - I am an idiot. Too early in the morning I guess.

----

Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:32 AM
I wouldnt know becuase I bought a manual, but to do what your thinking, you'd have to get a top center console piece from a manual along with the shift boot and all that stuff, some one correct me if Im wrong.

CarDomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3828276
Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:20 AM
Fashow69 wrote:I wouldnt know becuase I bought a manual, but to do what your thinking, you'd have to get a top center console piece from a manual along with the shift boot and all that stuff, some one correct me if Im wrong.

As I said in my post - I knew what I need to get... WHERE I do I get it? I was hoping someone has one or knew of a website. As I said before, eBay has nothing and all the local junkyards have automatics.

And kudos on already owning a manual, I wish I did... but all the ones in my area that are decent condition are automatics. Even more are the sedan.

----

Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:13 AM
I picked up a 95-99 Sunfire manual console for my Cav and the shift boots are integrated into it. So you'll probably have to swap consoles, just try to find more junkyards, I'm spoiled by Pick-n-Pull lol

Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:00 AM
There is an LKQ UWrench lot by where I live, but all the Sunfires that are sitting in there are automatics or someone already ripped the console to shreds trying to get something else. (That's my biggest issue with self-serve junkyards, people wreck other parts getting the ones they need!!!)

Anyhow, I shortened the shifter handle by an inch and a half and it looks good IMO. Still searching for a manual trans console however.

What think people?

----

Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:19 PM
Tyler, that looks amazing lol cant get any better then a real manual but for custom work thats really good, i like it

Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:11 PM
Thanksies 95LsCoupe. I like it and that is what really matters, but its nice to hear someone else compliment my 10 minutes with a dremel. lol.

The shift interlock being messed up really helped my cause, it allowed me to install a manual knob on an automatic without having to worry about pressing the stick down.

Anyhow, I think I am going to replace the e-brake handle with a brushed aluminum piece to match the accent on the shift knob. (I hear that is a fun task... Searching forum for a good how-to on it!)

----

Friday, October 22, 2010 8:12 AM
Tyler Belcher wrote:
Fashow69 wrote:I wouldnt know becuase I bought a manual, but to do what your thinking, you'd have to get a top center console piece from a manual along with the shift boot and all that stuff, some one correct me if Im wrong.

As I said in my post - I knew what I need to get... WHERE I do I get it? I was hoping someone has one or knew of a website. As I said before, eBay has nothing and all the local junkyards have automatics.

And kudos on already owning a manual, I wish I did... but all the ones in my area that are decent condition are automatics. Even more are the sedan.

try gmpartsdirect.com you can get all the interior parts there including the upper console piece and even the oem shift boot.

CarDomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3828276
Friday, October 22, 2010 9:06 AM
I figured GMPartsDirect would have it, but when I looked it up, it was something like $57. I can't justify paying that. I think I will keep searching the classifieds on here and checking the junkyards for a manual with the interior NOT totally trashed.

----

Friday, October 22, 2010 5:10 PM
Tyler Belcher wrote:There is an LKQ UWrench lot by where I live, but all the Sunfires that are sitting in there are automatics or someone already ripped the console to shreds trying to get something else. (That's my biggest issue with self-serve junkyards, people wreck other parts getting the ones they need!!!)

Anyhow, I shortened the shifter handle by an inch and a half and it looks good IMO. Still searching for a manual trans console however.

What think people?

In my opinion, it looks fine just like that!

That shift knob reminds me of the one in my Vibe .

I had those same exact floor mats in my former Sunfire GT way back in 2002. R Racing FTW !

As far as websites go, you could check car-part.com. You may be able to find one at a junkyard near you that you haven't checked yet or something. Also, I would keep checking eBay as I see consoles, etc. pop up on there all the time.

Friday, October 22, 2010 5:21 PM
@J TO ENVY - that shifter does look a lot like the Vibe. lol. Also - R Racing FTW is SO true, I like the wheel cover you have there. I wish our local AutoZone carried them. ahah. I told a guy I know who works at LKQ to call me right away if a manual Sunfire or Cavvy comes in. I would just buy the whole console.

----

Saturday, October 23, 2010 9:10 PM
Tyler Belcher wrote:@J TO ENVY - that shifter does look a lot like the Vibe. lol. Also - R Racing FTW is SO true, I like the wheel cover you have there. I wish our local AutoZone carried them. ahah. I told a guy I know who works at LKQ to call me right away if a manual Sunfire or Cavvy comes in. I would just buy the whole console.

I'm ashamed to say it now, but I had all the R Racing stuff on/in my Sunfire back in the day ! I believe the steering wheel cover is still sitting in my basement as I type this, along with all the blue painted interior pieces, etc. (what in the world was I thinking!?!) . If you want the steering wheel cover, I can find out what shipping would be and you could just pay the shipping and I could send it to you . If it is indeed still down in the basement, I believe it was in very good condition because I kept the Sunfire immaculate. Let me know.

Good luck on getting a hold of a manual console, although I still insist it looks fine the way it is .

Saturday, October 23, 2010 9:32 PM
Haha. I have a lot of the R Racing stuff, but I am trying to get out of that phase. Time to go the other direction. I have the high bid (currently) on a MOMO Millennium Evo wheel ($104.00 + shipping!). Also, I just picked up a set of 02 Camaro Z28 seats. So the seat covers are about to get pulled out as well.

As far as the manual console - after searching for about 3 weeks (here, ebay and junkyards) I am just going to stick with my current console until I decide to go all out on the interior. This car is my first J and before it I had import rice-burners. I still have a Toyota Celica GT4. ahaha

I guess if you were really interested in selling the stuff - why not post it on the classifieds on here? Someone may be interested in the blue panels! Just my thought.

----

Sunday, October 24, 2010 11:34 AM
tyler belcher wrote:Haha. I have a lot of the R Racing stuff, but I am trying to get out of that phase. Time to go the other direction. I have the high bid (currently) on a MOMO Millennium Evo wheel ($104.00 + shipping!). Also, I just picked up a set of 02 Camaro Z28 seats. So the seat covers are about to get pulled out as well.

As far as the manual console - after searching for about 3 weeks (here, ebay and junkyards) I am just going to stick with my current console until I decide to go all out on the interior. This car is my first J and before it I had import rice-burners. I still have a Toyota Celica GT4. ahaha

I guess if you were really interested in selling the stuff - why not post it on the classifieds on here? Someone may be interested in the blue panels! Just my thought.

Glad to hear you're trying to get away from all that stuff. That's what happens when you're young and are just starting out with a car. I went through the same thing with my Sunfire GT, but eventually I learned the error of my ways and put everything back to stock for a much better look.

I wouldn't want to sell the blue painted panels and all. I wouldn't want to contribute to someone "ricing" out their car !

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search